Costco event

Gunther's Guardian

Hi, I was wondering if the Costco events are worth attending.  I already have a kamado and don't plan to buy a second, but would be interested in going for "fun."   I would need to drive about an hour to get to the event that I have in mind.  I am a Costco member.  Do you get to sample food?  Get recipes?  Etc.  I learned that there was one somewhat near me when I searched the web for events.  Any info you can provide would help me decide.  Thanks.

No samples (from KJ), no recipes, no cooking demo, no accessories for sale... You can buy a grill or you can buy charcoal - that's it.  I'm sure they KJ rep would be happy to chat about grills with you, but I'm not sure it's worth an hour there and an hour back home to go and talk with a stranger. :)

No samples (from KJ), no recipes, no cooking demo, no accessories for sale... You can buy a grill or you can buy charcoal - that's it.  I'm sure they KJ rep would be happy to chat about grills with you, but I'm not sure it's worth an hour there and an hour back home to go and talk with a stranger. :)

When you put it like that, sounds like a complete disappointment. I don't know many people who don't already have a Kamado who would be enticed to spend that kind of money on a grill without a demo or at least tasting some Kamado cooked food.

When you put it like that, sounds like a complete disappointment. I don't know many people who don't already have a Kamado who would be enticed to spend that kind of money on a grill without a demo or at least tasting some Kamado cooked food.

Ha!  Well, if you went to a Costco event and expected a cooking demo and/or to taste the kamado cooked food you would be disappointed.  The KJ Costco events are great if you want to look at the grill itself, ask questions, and grab a couple bags of charcoal.  Perfect for those in the market for a new purchase.  They are not however, a community gathering/social hour with food served.  Not trying to disappoint, just being honest to the guy or gal who might take 2 hours out of their weekend to travel to and from the event with false expectations.

That may be but cooking with charcoal inside the store might be frowned upon. I visited the road show when it was nearby so I could score some lump and talk to the rep. For me, it was worth the trip but I already knew what to expect. Look to a local dealer to experience demos.

Ha!  Well, if you went to a Costco event and expected a cooking demo and/or to taste the kamado cooked food you would be disappointed.  The KJ Costco events are great if you want to look at the grill itself, ask questions, and grab a couple bags of charcoal.  Perfect for those in the market for a new purchase.  They are not however, a community gathering/social hour with food served.  Not trying to disappoint, just being honest to the guy or gal who might take 2 hours out of their weekend to travel to and from the event with false expectations.

Agree with the above...The event is a sales event, not a demo...and I was absolutely enticed to buy even without a demo or tasting the food...Why?...Because I was a long-time griller and had been lusting for one for a long time...and at the event,  I was able to see touch and feel the KJ and talk to the rep (Who happened to be the owner, Bobby Brennan's son) and all these things helped me make my ultimate purchase decision...But the bottom line:  It's a great deal versus normal retail price

...Anyway, I agree with HaagenDazs (great ice cream BTW) above...Unless you're seriously in the market for one of these, I wouldn't waste my time.

A COSTCO roadshow and a dealer demo are two totally different creatures.  COSTCO doesn't allow any hot grills from the standpoint of safety, plus all you would be doing is handing out samples to hundreds and hundreds of people who have no interest in buying a Kamado. Even if you are not going to buy a KJ, and didn't have to drive too far, the deal on KJ's lump is worth getting. You won't find a better lump at anywhere near those prices anywhere.