Unsung Heroes -- Underappreciated Food Items

Some discussion on another thread about how once unpopular food items have been discovered and celebrated -- and correspondingly, prices have risen (e.g. Chicken Wings, London Broil, oxtail and other cuts of meat)... got me thinking.  I love a good value/bargain and a good arbitrage play....and/or "spinning straw into gold."

What food ingredients are Kamado Guru's seeing and using out there these days that are underappreciated and therefore a good value?

I don't have a lot in mind, but I find the Whole Prime Sirloin roast at Costco in the $5.00-$6.50 lb. range to be a great buy for the money...It's not "cheap" by any means, but for prime beef, it's a very good value IMHO...I buy a whole one and cut it into steaks.

Also, I seem to find better bargains and more unusual cuts of meat at some of our area Asian, Central American or Halal butcher shops. 

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what the KG gourmands have to share.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I love roasted chicken necks. Smoked pork necks are great too. Ham hocks.  :wub:  There can be deals on beef or pork cheeks if you hit the market right. Shanks are another cut that still can offer some value on the right day. 

Some discussion on another thread about how once unpopular food items have been discovered and celebrated -- and correspondingly, prices have risen (e.g. Chicken Wings, London Broil, oxtail and other cuts of meat)... got me thinking. I love a good value/bargain and a good arbitrage play....and/or "spinning straw into gold."

What food ingredients are Kamado Guru's seeing and using out there these days that are underappreciated and therefore a good value?

I don't have a lot in mind, but I find the Whole Prime Sirloin roast at Costco in the $5.00-$6.50 lb. range to be a great buy for the money...It's not "cheap" by any means, but for prime beef, it's a very good value IMHO...I buy a whole one and cut it into steaks.

Also, I seem to find better bargains and more unusual cuts of meat at some of our area Asian, Central American or Halal butcher shops.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear what the KG gourmands have to share.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I love a good pork loin. Best thing is it's inexpensive, impressive visually and doesn't take a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not under appreciated, but I love that I can normally find chicken thighs on sale for less than a dollar a pound.

They are as good as gold. Leg quarters are a close second.

Pork hocks / shanks are great to smoke as well.  They work wonderfully when used in the dutch oven.  Tons of flavor.

Edited by Panchango

I'll go to the grocery store in the morning and look for the marked down stuff. Sometimes I'll score a few nice flank steaks, beef ribs, pork spares, wings, etc. that are priced pretty nice. For those of you who like chuck roast, London broil, and flat iron steaks, I'd suggest asking your butcher about a whole beef shoulder or chuck roll. All the above cuts are from the sub-primal and it can be bought for less that $3/lb in some markets for a choice cut. I've seen most of those cuts going for $5/lb plus so you could easily save yourself a few bucks by doing your own knife work and wrapping.

One thing I see quite often and never think about until after the fact are turkey legs and wings. I'd love to get a few and smoke them just to knaw on as me and my son both enjoy a good smoked turkey leg.

Pork loin, pork tenderloin, whole chickens and top rounds from costco are all reasonably budget friendly and can be just awesome. I find the biggest thing is to just check the circulars. The combination of sales plus my vac sealer saves me a fortune. There is a local chain in my area called king kullen that has an excellent meat department for a supermarket. That said there prices are very high but when they have a sale on London broil for holidays like memorial day I will buy 40 or 50 pounds and vac seal before putting in the deep freaze. Now with the Sous vide it's even better because I can season ,seal,freeze, drop into the water bath, finnish on the grill for an easy meal whenever I want. 

Not under appreciated, but I love that I can normally find chicken thighs on sale for less than a dollar a pound.

They are as good as gold. Leg quarters are a close second.

Pork hocks / shanks are great to smoke as well.  They work wonderfully when used in the dutch oven.  Tons of flavor.

Amen.  We bought our last 40 lb case of leg quarters for 50 cents a pound.  I don't think you can eat food that good for much less.

My unsung hero is White Balsamic Vinegar. I love it and use it for almost all recipes that call for vinegar. A mild balsamic flavor that won't change the color of your food.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good one...I find myself using vinegar and lemon juice often to add some acid and "brighten" flavors...Do you have a particular brand of Whit Balsamic Vinegar you like?

My unsung hero is White Balsamic Vinegar. I love it and use it for almost all recipes that call for vinegar. A mild balsamic flavor that won't change the color of your food.

Good one...I find myself using vinegar and lemon juice often to add some acid and "brighten" flavors...Do you have a particular brand of Whit Balsamic Vinegar you like?
Usually I can just find the cheap stuff Alessi - they make a pear infused version I buy if I can find it.

When I go to my sisters in FL there is a vinegar and oil store. I'll buy some different flavors. I have a Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic that is great on fish.