Smoking etiquette/smoke drifting from one house to the next

If you have a Homeowners Assoc this issue would be addressed in that. If you don't have an HOA, then there could be a law that covers this as well, where you can't burn something, be it a pile of leaves, excessive smoke from a bbq or even drifting of excessive smoke from cigars.

Of course it depends on where you live. In So Cal, we all live right next to each other to cover these issues.

I cool my house with whole house fans most of the summer. When I have wood smoking I turn off the fans. A smoke source close to the house can bring in a very unpleasant irritant that will make your eyes burn.

My Kamado is directly to  the left of my seating about 9 feet away - under a metal Grill Gazebo. It was the only place that i could put it. It is convenient there and any other location would have put it close to someones house. The smoke from both the wood and direct grilling chicken can be choke you and burn your eyes and make sitting out on the patio unpleasant. I have found that a fan directed above the top vent toward the tin roof  which has a top vent does a good job of forcing it up and over us. I am sure that the right fan or fans set properly can make a big difference.

We have always set our grill up to be close to the kitchen and to the door. Having the kitchen easily accessible is a huge plus.

However were I asked to relocate my smoker ---I certainly would have moved it.

My hunch is given that a swamp cooler is like central AC and not movable and given the fact that it draws in a huge amount of outside air ---you certainly have a strong legal case for requiring them to  move something that can easily be moved.

In reading some of the cases presented here, certainly seems our neighbors are extra testy these days, and more off-ish than I recall when growing up ages ago. Certainly have had our share over the recent years. Maybe relay d to the whole PC issue we see these days or people just sticking to themselves.

Anyway.

Ideas: An occasional treat from the grill or invite for dinner normally goes a long way to negating potential future issues. Same if often have "loud" parties. Invite them sometimes. Even if they don't go, they are often more tolerant, especially if notified in advance.

Remember, occasional, doesn't have to be all the time.

YMMV

Sent from my Sero 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Lawyers? Oh no, Mr. Bill!

Here's an idea. Invite them over for a dinner of pulled pork, Brisket, or Ribs and the fixens. Have them arrive when there's still a little cooking left on it. Show them that when adjusted correctly there's only thin blue smoke. You may be able to shed light on how they at least can lessen the bad smoke you're getting. Trying to get a FRIEND to cooperate with what you'd LIKE THEM to do is easier than tell an unknown neighbor what you want them to do. This can turn a normally cooperative person in to a hostile neighbor in a half a nano second. Not sure if that is how you came off but is it possible?

Just my $0.02

It is funny how many people got upset because I mentioned my brother who is a lawyer with a background in codes/ordinances that doesn't mean taking them to court or litigation.  A lawyer is a resource for finding and interpreting information to help with a situation, there are a lot of things I don't know about as far as my rights, and the local codes/ordinances go.  I ask him about these things cause he is an expert, and can help me deal with this correctly.  I could try and google ordinances/codes but thats like trying to google your medical condition and play doctor.  As for posting on here, my reference about classy BBQ guru's wasn't to call out any one on this forum it was just me talking petty crap on my neighbors, sorry if I offended anyone here.  This forum has always been a great resource on the topic of smokers/kamado's, and I read several very well thought our replies here that I think are great advice and I will give a try.  

Bummer. I'm fortunate enough to have some pretty cool neighbors, we both bought around the same time and have similar hobbies; we both have kamados, I have a Camaro, he's got a 'Vette, we keep our yards neat, etc. but I feel your pain. I think the responses here prove that it's not just a "millenial" attitude but just an attitude; people feel that their home is their space and be danged if someone else is going to tell them how to live there.

Maybe you can invest in some better filtration for your ventilation system, I saw some carbon filters online that range in the $100+ dollar point and may help. Below is a link to one such solution. If that doesn't meet your needs, than talk to the owner directly and bypass the renters. I feel that you did your best to be diplomatic about it, your request doesn't seem out of line to me. Had I been the offender, I would most likely moved my pit and brought you a peace offering from the grill. It's nice to have neighbors you don't have to worry about; over the years we've had plenty of crappy neighbors...

http://www.blueair.com/us/air-purifier-filters/smokestop

Bummer. I'm fortunate enough to have some pretty cool neighbors, we both bought around the same time and have similar hobbies; we both have kamados, I have a Camaro, he's got a 'Vette, we keep our yards neat, etc. but I feel your pain. I think the responses here prove that it's not just a "millenial" attitude but just an attitude; people feel that their home is their space and be danged if someone else is going to tell them how to live there.

Maybe you can invest in some better filtration for your ventilation system, I saw some carbon filters online that range in the $100+ dollar point and may help. Below is a link to one such solution. If that doesn't meet your needs, than talk to the owner directly and bypass the renters. I feel that you did your best to be diplomatic about it, your request doesn't seem out of line to me. Had I been the offender, I would most likely moved my pit and brought you a peace offering from the grill. It's nice to have neighbors you don't have to worry about; over the years we've had plenty of crappy neighbors...

Mr Cue thanks for that link I am going to check it out, and send them an email and see if they have anything that works for my swamp cooler.  I don't know how to find out who the owner of the house is and that is another thing I am using my brother for, he's pretty savvy about that sort of stuff.  

That's a tough one for sure... And what others have said, I would engage them again from a friendly neighbor standpoint, invite them over for dinner and eat and talk Q. I bet after building a relationship you may find that they're willing to help.

Mr Cue thanks for that link I am going to check it out, and send them an email and see if they have anything that works for my swamp cooler.  I don't know how to find out who the owner of the house is and that is another thing I am using my brother for, he's pretty savvy about that sort of stuff.  

Try Zillow.com - you can also look at your local tax website, often they publish owner records on homes.  It's public record.

Again, good luck and I hope you work it out in a good way that preserves or creates a good relationship with your neighbor.

It is funny how many people got upset because I mentioned my brother who is a lawyer with a background in codes/ordinances that doesn't mean taking them to court or litigation.  A lawyer is a resource for finding and interpreting information to help with a situation, there are a lot of things I don't know about as far as my rights, and the local codes/ordinances go.  I ask him about these things cause he is an expert, and can help me deal with this correctly.  I could try and google ordinances/codes but thats like trying to google your medical condition and play doctor.  As for posting on here, my reference about classy BBQ guru's wasn't to call out any one on this forum it was just me talking petty crap on my neighbors, sorry if I offended anyone here.  This forum has always been a great resource on the topic of smokers/kamado's, and I read several very well thought our replies here that I think are great advice and I will give a try.  

I definitely jumped the gun in my sarcastic replies.  Pittsburgh you have my sincerest apologies.

I definitely jumped the gun in my sarcastic replies. Pittsburgh you have my sincerest apologies.

No apologies for my first response. You approached your neighbor with attitude straight from the git go. You got attitude in return - who wouldn't predict that?

You should have approached that with open arms maybe asking for a plate of their fine smelling Q. After a good repore you probably could have gotten some where with this situation. Instead you went to the neighbors with guns drawn for something you like to do.

I'm still a bit perplexed about this thread.

Glad I live in a county where there are no restrictions for recreational burning, cooking, or burning yard trimmings. I like my kamados smoking up the neighborhood with burgers and my bon fires. Let's not forget the few times I've fired up a charcoal retort and for a 1/4 - 1/2 mile radius was filled with a thick dense white smoke.

Oh yeah forgot to mention the Harley with really short drag pipes (read that as extra loud) and blasting music on the front porch until 4 am. Glad my neighbors are really kewl and don't live on top of me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ckreef - then maybe you need to reserve the apology for this post then. I just re-read the OP and he introduced himself, and asked them about relocating it - not demanding it. Sounds like a civil conversation to me but you obviously read it differently.

ckreef - then maybe you need to reserve the apology for this post then. I just re-read the OP and he introduced himself, and asked them about relocating it - not demanding it. Sounds like a civil conversation to me but you obviously read it differently.

I still think if the first time you meet your new neighbors you complain about their smoke asking them to move their grill getting attitude was predictable.

Wind usually doesn't blow in the same direction all the time. Even if they moved it chances are at some point there will still be a smoke issue. What about the windless low overcast days when smoke hangs low? On those days won't matter where the grill is located.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk