Smoking etiquette/smoke drifting from one house to the next

ckreef - then maybe you need to reserve the apology for this post then. I just re-read the OP and he introduced himself, and asked them about relocating it - not demanding it. Sounds like a civil conversation to me but you obviously read it differently.

Ckreef doesn't need to apologize. I am good lots of people had wonderfull suggestions. While I don't think I had an attitude, maybe some people think I do/did. BTW ba8512f56702577d67d80ab2babfab21.jpg

This is the view from my kitchen window, they have their little chargriller right behind that bush, just outside of their patio awning. So unless the wind is blowing east through my yard smoke gets trapped between the two houses. All I want is for them to move the smoker 10 ft east from where it is so its next to their fire pit. This will give the smoke a chance to drift down the alley and in front of my garage where I dont care about air flow/quality. Also, the original tenants had fires in their pit all the time and never smoked me out of my house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer. I'm fortunate enough to have some pretty cool neighbors, we both bought around the same time and have similar hobbies; we both have kamados, I have a Camaro, he's got a 'Vette, we keep our yards neat, etc. but I feel your pain. I think the responses here prove that it's not just a "millenial" attitude but just an attitude; people feel that their home is their space and be danged if someone else is going to tell them how to live there.

Maybe you can invest in some better filtration for your ventilation system, I saw some carbon filters online that range in the $100+ dollar point and may help. Below is a link to one such solution. If that doesn't meet your needs, than talk to the owner directly and bypass the renters. I feel that you did your best to be diplomatic about it, your request doesn't seem out of line to me. Had I been the offender, I would most likely moved my pit and brought you a peace offering from the grill. It's nice to have neighbors you don't have to worry about; over the years we've had plenty of crappy neighbors...

http://www.blueair.com/us/air-purifier-filters/smokestop

Mr Cue thanks for that link I am going to check it out, and send them an email and see if they have anything that works for my swamp cooler. I don't know how to find out who the owner of the house is and that is another thing I am using my brother for, he's pretty savvy about that sort of stuff.
as far as identifying the homeowners, I can tell you in Mass. every city/town has an assessor's database for tax collections. You can find names on the database. The next step would be to look at the county registry of deeds, you can find a ton of info on a property and the owners.

It is funny how many people got upset because I mentioned my brother who is a lawyer with a background in codes/ordinances that doesn't mean taking them to court or litigation. A lawyer is a resource for finding and interpreting information to help with a situation, there are a lot of things I don't know about as far as my rights, and the local codes/ordinances go. I ask him about these things cause he is an expert, and can help me deal with this correctly. I could try and google ordinances/codes but thats like trying to google your medical condition and play doctor. As for posting on here, my reference about classy BBQ guru's wasn't to call out any one on this forum it was just me talking petty crap on my neighbors, sorry if I offended anyone here. This forum has always been a great resource on the topic of smokers/kamado's, and I read several very well thought our replies here that I think are great advice and I will give a try.

I'd have to dis-agree that anyone got upset, we have no dog in the fight.

however, no matter how nice you thought you were being, it looks like your neighbors wife got the message that you made an effort to come over and welcome them to the neighborhood with a complaint the first time you met.

anywho, you lost me on the point of consulting a lawyer doesn't mean you'd move forward with legal action? what we be the point of wasting your time consulting a lawyer then? ((shrug))

I live on an acre now, so if a neighbor complained about my Akron smoke I would tell them to pound sand.

Thinking back when we lived in a smaller lot if someone complained I might try to accomidate them by moving it to another part of the yard the next smoke session; but that would depend on how they asked.

The problem is you, your swamp cooler, and probably the way you asked.I base that off you being a bbqer yourself and getting offended when someone else bbqs (how dare they) and almost instantly wanting to involve lawyers.Did you ever think about the times one of your neighbor didn't appreciate you cooking on your smoker?

If you were a vegan with an allergy problem Ok; but its never good to be a hypocrite.

Dang, this thread is getting me paranoid. What if my future neighbors dont like my smoke. One more thing to worry about.

There is one vacant lot next to me. It's been empty for years now. If anybody comes looking I'm going to put about a dozen burgers on the grill, full volume on the outside speaker and fire up the Harley.

I want to make sure they realize what they are getting into if they move in next to me.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dang, this thread is getting me paranoid. What if my future neighbors dont like my smoke. One more thing to worry about.

There is one vacant lot next to me. It's been empty for years now. If anybody comes looking I'm going to put about a dozen burgers on the grill, full volume on the outside speaker and fire up the Harley.

I want to make sure they realize what they are getting into if they move in next to me.

You better buy that lot. I wish the heck I had bought the 3 acres behind me when it was available. 

You better buy that lot. I wish the heck I had bought the 3 acres behind me when it was available.
Unfortunately or maybe fortunately the person who owns it got through a contested will and wants way to much for it or I would have already bought it. That was about 8 years ago.

I shouldn't even be talking about this - wouldn't want to jinx the situation.

Thx Ckreef, but the house I'm moving into has peeps al around already. Who knows... One of em might be FreddyJ. Doubt I could sucker em into moving.

Apologize with beer and food as you came off as rude. Always talk to the husband about complaints not the wife. If he is not home come back later. 2016 blah blah blah trust me talk to the husband first. Now your only hope is an apology for being rude and to make amends. Beer and food should fix it.

If the husband wants to get lucky ever again he won't move it because you pissed off his wife. Not until you smooth things over will you even have a chance. Explain you were overwhelmed by the smoke and didn't intend to be rude.

Have the husband over a few Times to cook bbq and drink beer. Maybe they will move it and maybe they won't.

As for your brother he probably will laugh at you for wasting his time. I Have a brother who is a lawyer in pittsburgh and if I complained he would roll his eyes call me an idiot and walk away. Not calling you an idiot just saying that's what my brother would call me. Unless there is significant damages you are wasting his time.

Apologize and make amends. Don't waste your brother's time.

To be clear, I am in no way insinuating I would want FreddyJ to move. Not my point. Love the guy. Hope he is a neighbor.

Well I want Freddyj to move into the vacant lot next to my place. We could have a smoke out and see if we could piss the other neighbors off - I doubt it - they've been very kewl since day 1.

I have no neighbors on the side where my patio is just bush and a road living 5 min from the beach the sea breeze takes care of the smoke so no dramas at all Pittsburg that is a fair distance starting to think someone needs to show them how to use the grill

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨