This is a crock pot recipe but you can substitute a dutch oven for the crock pot and cook with a heat deflector on a low temp; 250 or so. Leave the lid off with smoking wood at the beginning. You could also tuck these underneath a butt and have the best of both worlds!

Ingredients

1 pack bacon, diced

1 onion diced

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp dry mustard

1 tsp salt

Drain:

1 can dark red kidney beans

1 can garbanzo beans

1 can baby limas

1 can butter beans

1 large can baked beans

Sautee bacon and onion until cooked and onions are translucent and beginning to brown.

Add everything else except beans. Stir and simmer 20 mins.

Layer beans into slow cooker in order listed.

Pour bacon and onion mixture over beans (don't stir).

Cook on High for 4+ hours.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      So my work had a Chili Cookoff contest and I decided to join in on the “fun”. I put fun in parenthesis because I had to make the chili on Tuesday after work and didn’t get done until it was 9:00. I then had to wait until it cooled off enough to put it in the fridge. So I’m in bed at 10:15 and the alarm is set for 4:30. This so I can shower and get everything ready and make the drive up to the L.A. area on Wednesday. I made a White Chicken Chili called Chili Blanco. I used a recipe from All Things BBQ. (Here's a link to his video:  https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/chili-blanco/)

I tweaked the recipe a little. Here are the ingredients I used with my tweaks in red.
      ·         2 lb chicken, boneless breasts or thighs (I used 4 boneless breasts)
      ·         Carne Asada Seasoning (I used Fajita seasoning)
      ·         2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
      ·         1 large yellow onion, diced
      ·         3 Anaheim chiles, seeded, diced (I used 2 Anaheim and 1 Poblano)
      ·         1 jalapeno, seeded, diced
      ·         1 tbsp All Purpose Rub
      ·         1 tbsp ground cumin
      ·         1 tsp Mexican oregano
      ·         4 cloves garlic, minced
      ·         3 tbsp unsalted butter
      ·         1/4 cup flour
      ·         2 (15 oz) cans of great northern beans, drained, rinsed
      ·         1 quart unsalted chicken stock
      ·         1 cup heavy cream (I used Caciqui Crema Salvadorena)
      ·         8 oz cream cheese, cubed
      ·         1 bunch cilantro, minced
      ·         4 oz (1 cup) pepper jack cheese, grated

Didn’t have time for a fully documented cook photo spread but here is what I did get. I had taken some chicken I had in the freezer and thawed it out. Assembled most of my spices (some I didn’t use) and the chicken.

Sliced al the breast in half to increase the surface area

and then sprinkled on the fajita seasoning.

I grilled the chicken on my preheated Grill Grates I got from BPS.

Brought then inside to cool

while I started prepping the veggies and other ingredients.

Onion and Poblano diced

and now the Anaheim’s added.  

I took all this out and placed it in my 9 Qt. Dutch oven to sauté. This is where I was pushing for time and quit taken all the pictures that slow down the cooking process. I did get one of the final results.

I really liked the flavor and heat profile of it. It had some heat, but the heat was flavorful and not just hot. My wife also liked it but indicated it was just a little to hot. (She still ate it 2 days in a row) I didn’t win the cookoff but came in 3rd. This is a little different that what everyone was used to. The traditional chili’s won but I did get a lot of complements on it.

Thanks for looking
    • By MD_Ag
      Got a brand new 5 qt. Dutch Oven for Christmas and wanted to break it in. Looking for something different, I did a quick search for recommended "first cooks". A video by the name of "Layered Meat" caught my eye (how could out not?). Turns out it's a traditional German recipe using pork, bacon, and onions. My kind of meal! I also got to try out my German skills watching a bunch of other videos with the real dish name, Schichtfleisch.

First off, I grabbed an eight pound pork loin and sliced it into pieces about 1 cm thick. These were coated with my sweet and spicy pork rub, then set in the fridge for a few hours. Once ready, I coated the bottom and sides of the pot with a layer of bacon. Then came a layer of onions, also 1 cm thick. Keep alternating until the Dutch oven is full. I also put in some pieces of apple, since the lid is going to block most smoke flavor from getting in. Finally, some BBQ sauce (the mustard sauce was on sale, should go well with pork) and a top layer of bacon.

While watching all the videos, I noticed each seemed to have an exact number of charcoal pieces to use. Having never used a Dutch oven that way, it took me a while to figure out there is a conversion between the size of the oven and amount of charcoal to get the desired temperature. Most videos seem to go for around 350°F. That's where I am now, so here's hoping for a delicious dish in about three hours.

Link to original video that sent me down this path:

• By DerHusker
      Baby Back Maniac’s thread about visiting Nebraska and having a Runza reminded me that I hadn’t made these in quite a while. I had to remedy that and made another batch today to enjoy watching the Husker’s game. I followed Cowgirl’s recipe with very little changes. Here’s a link to a thread of my first attempt making these where the recipe can be found.
      https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/23518-dutch-oven-bierocks-or-runzas-or-whatever-you-want-to-call-them/
      Started out making up the dough.

After prepping all the ingredients I took them all out to my gas side burner.

Sweated the onion and added the hamburger.

After the hamburger was mostly browned I added the salt, pepper and cabbage and cooked until it wilted.

To say the dough had risen was an understatement.

Rolled it out into a log and cut it into 7 roughly equal pieces

and formed each piece into a ball.

I then rolled each piece into an approximate 7” round and placed 2 giant spoonfuls in the center.

I folded up the edges and pitched them together

and placed each into my camp Dutch Oven that I had already smeared with butter flavor Crisco.

I repeated this process until it was full.

I then lit some briquettes in my chimney and waited until they were ready.

I prepped my kamado as a Dutch Oven table and placed 10 briquettes on the bottom

and 20 briquettes on the top.

I then closed the lid with the vents fully open and let this bake for 35 minutes.

And here is the result.

I carefully cut around each one and plated one up with 1/2 a pickle, some pickled carrots and a Stone Brewing Xocoveza Mocha Stout.

Yum!

Even though my game didn’t end the way I would’ve wished, we ate some delicious food and drank a really great beer.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DrKGB
      This is my first post and I'm looking for some pointers on cooking pot roast in my Dutch oven. I've had my Big Joe for about a month and this was my first attempt at using my Dutch oven on the grill.

I followed John Setzler's Dutch Oven Pot Roast recipe and it turned out dry. The video says to cook it with the lid off between 225-250 for 2 hours and I was running at 250. Then I added the potatoes and carrots and put the lid on. I upped the temp to 350 and let it go for another 2 hours. The internal temp on the meat was 212 after that. The potatoes and carrots were awesome and the meat had good flavor but was dry and tough. Do I need to lower the heat and let it cook slower or should I cover it sooner so it doesn't dry out?

Thanks for the help!
    • By BEER-N-BBQ by Larry
      This is my version of the classic chicken tortilla soup made from scratch using dry beans, garden grown peppers, homemade smoked turkey stock, fire-roasted garden tomatoes, and other good stuff. Recipe is below video.

Ingredients:
      vegetable oil
      1/2 medium onion, diced
      3-4 anaheim peppers, diced
      3 cloves garlic, minced
      2 tsp cumin
      ~1 cup dry black beans (1/3 lb)
      1.5 quarts smoked poultry stock (chicken or turkey) (  
      1 pint fire roasted tomato sauce (

~2 cups sweet corn kernels
      2-3 chicken breasts
      1 cup cilantro, chopped
      ~1 tsp lime juice
      salt to taste
      black pepper to taste
      several tortillas (corn preferred, flour ok)
      1 avocado, pitted, sliced
      queso fresco or other cheese
        Directions:
      The night before, soak black beans in salted water (3 Tbsp/gal ratio) to hydrate.
      Next day, drain the beans, add them to a pot, cover them in water, heat to a simmer, & add a little salt (~1 tsp). Cook until beans are softened (~1 hour). Drain.
      In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add couple tablespoons of vegetable oil.
      Add the onions, peppers, & cumin. Cook until softened.
      Add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
      Pour the poultry stock, tomatoes, corn, and beans into the pot and bring to a simmer.
      Add chicken breasts. Cook until chicken is done (~20-25 minutes). Remove chicken from pot.
      When cool enough to handle, shred it and add it back to the pot.
      Taste and add salt and black pepper as desired. While the soup and chicken simmer, make the tortilla strips:
      Slice tortillas into half inch wide strips.
      Heat ~1/4 inch layer of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. (Ideally, oil temperature should be ~350-400 deg F.)
      Cook tortilla strips in batches until golden colored and crispy. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to cool and absorb extra oil. Serving:
      Ladle soup into a bowl.
      Add some tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, a squirt of lime juice, avocado slices, and cheese.
      Eat.