Jack.

Does Anyone Else Cook for Their Dogs/Pets?

I can almost always find chicken thighs and/or drumsticks at about $1.00/lb.  I can also find pretty inexpensive beef and pork cuts.  I use the residual heat from a "people" cook on one of my kamados to cook up a bunch of thighs, drumsticks, clearance 7 blade chuck, clearance pork chops or loins, keep it in the fridge until it's time to shred or chop, mix it with kibble (ours are still pups, although 20 week old 40 pound pups, so they get puppy kibble) and my dogs REALLY enjoy their food. 

These days, if they smell smoke on me and I say, "Cmon' Daddy's cookin' on the kamado", they practically fall over each other getting out the door to watch and enjoy the smells.  They know something good is coming very soon.

That was great to read!

Once I dropped a piece of chicken in front of my cats. They could not have cared less. Fine with me, I hate when animals get annoying while begging at the table for food. I don't mind when dogs sit there, just when they try to eat off my plate.

Ok, so I read the title a little too quickly and missed the "for" the 1st time, which caused me to do a double take...  After re-reading i feel much better, sorry no dogs or pets in this household, sorry I dont cook "for" them.  nor do I cook them... :-D

When we had Border Collies, I fed them raw for awhile, but did not tell much difference.  Just grind up on sale whole chickens, bones & all.

Now, we get almost all the liver, heart, kidneys when our neighbor butchers her steers & pigs.  The majority of that ends up being dog food, however, we cook it & mix it with their kibble.

These days, if they smell smoke on me and I say, "Cmon' Daddy's cookin' on the kamado", they practically fall over each other getting out the door to watch and enjoy the smells.  They know something good is coming very soon.

I am glad I'm not the only one. We only have one dog (a dachsund) and I cook for her quite often. Usually keep a piece of meat unseasoned for her and cook it along with our meat. She loves it when I grill and she follows me out there when I go check on the food. If she hears me cleaning the grills she will lay by the door and whimper until I let her out and show her I am not cooking anything.

My dogs get very excited about pizza night. They love "pizza bones" (the crust). I eat most of mine but have to share with them.

I also do whole chicken on my Pit Boss and they love it. We share of course...

Our dog eats a raw diet, so I suppose you can't exactly call it "cooking." But I'll say it's just about as complex and involved as cooking a meal for ourselves. He does often get a little nibble --and I mean little-- of scraps from our dinner as we're cleaning up the dishes.

my wife gets mad at me because I have the philosophy of thinking that since we treat our pets as part of the family why feed them canned dog food.  Would I eat it?

they don't eat freshly cooked everynight but they do know the value of a good steak

LOL - Jack I had to show this one to the wife. When we first were married my wife got a dog from a rescue. Poor dog was abused as a puppy and it was difficult to earn his trust. He was primarily an inside dog but we both worked so we put him he yard during he day. He didn't like it so he would crawl under the bed and if you reached for him he would snap at you. So to intice him my wife would make him breakfast. Only him not in addition to making mine