Does Anyone Else Cook for Their Dogs/Pets?

Jack.

So I always share with my doggies and they know it. You ought to see the looks of excitement and anticipation when I drag out the charcoal and take the cover off the Pit Boss! So far mostly pizza, chicken, a few burgers and now a brisket.

I am cooking a small brisket right now and two of my three dogs are bugging the heck out of me even though we have a couple of hours to go.....

I have cooked for them in the past when I inherited an ancient blind chihuahua named Sam.  When I got this dog, he hated me and I thought he would only make it about 6 months.  He held on for the better part of 4 years and was an angry little bugger until the very end.  The only saving grace was he had no teeth, so when he bit me, he didn't break skin.  He got steamed chicken and rice put through the processor.

I have 3 seniors now (Ms. Spike (15), Gunnar (~13), and Cheech (16+)) and i often give them left over grilled protein.  When cooking for one, I find that I can only stomach the same meal so many times.  I chop up leftover meat for them instead of canned dog food.  They get cucumbers, carrots, and green beans fairly regularly too.

post-5084-0-21020600-1472325925_thumb.jp

we offer then beef rib bones, porterhouse bones etc and have cooked the occasional batch of home made dog food (rice and protein) - the best is when we make rice/liver dog treats, think milk bone.  Dobermans can have a sensitive tummy and prefer a consistent diet and I assume other dogs do as-well.  Go easy on the salt and spice for their benefit.  Purina One is what we normally feed them, seldom a table scrap.  

On 8/24/2016 at 10:08 PM, djsomers said:

... mostly pizza, chicken, a few burgers and now a brisket.

I hadn't thought about this in years, and it has nothing to do with cooking, but we used to have a bloodhound who loved pizza crust so much he'd start baying as soon as he saw us step out of the car with a pizza box.

On 8/27/2016 at 6:11 PM, coldfusion said:

I will trim the undesirables from grilled meats and cut them in 1/4 inch cubes and keep in freezer for my Yorkie.

She loves the frozen treats.

That's a fantastic idea. Never thought of freezing it before.

On 8/28/2016 at 1:15 AM, Rob L said:

I use the Just Food For Dogs recipe. It's a DIY where you use their nutrient powder and add it to 4 lbs thigh meat, livers, gizzards, green apples, spinach and carrots. Also long grain rice. You can order the nutrient powder online.

We use a similar product made by Honest Kitchen. 

Since people are posting critter pics, here's our Luther

LutherFlower.jpg

• 4 years later...