I ADDED LEGS TO MY Akorn JR.

I got tired of bending over to use the Akorn JR so I added some legs to it.  I went to Lowe's and bought a 10' piece of 1 1/2" Thinwall conduit (EMT) and 3 conduit couplings with screws to secure the conduit.  I cut the legs about 18" long.  The Legs on the Akorn JR are just a little bit smaller than the conduit but the couplings still tighten up just fine and the legs are secure. The cooking surface is about 34" off the ground with the legs.

I am going to paint them Black but thought it might be easier to see what I have done if the legs were not painted yet.

If anyone else comes up with a better or different idea for adding legs feel free to jump in here.  I know I could have built a table but didn't want it in the way and wanted a more traditional look.  I may make a tray to fit lower down on the legs at some later date.

Thanks for listening,

Pete

post-11744-0-44506200-1472138274_thumb.j

post-11744-0-75195600-1472138330_thumb.j

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got tired of bending over to use the Akorn JR so I added some legs to it.  I went to Lowe's and bought a 10' piece of 1 1/2" Thinwall conduit (EMT) and 3 conduit couplings with screws to secure the

I took a picture of the Akorn JR. after I painted the legs, it doesn't look too bad for the price and amount of effort involved.   Pete

Posted Images

How can I edit my post? I made a typo and misspelled LEGS in the message header.

Nice job. Title edited.

Sorry, no offence intended but it looks too hillbilly to me, and I'm a hillbilly. I'd be looking for something to replace the legs, not attach to them. Remove the legs from the brackets and measure the OD and then find something that fits. A turned to fit wooden dowel would work and if you can't find pipe to fit your local exhaust repair shop should be able to shrink the ends down. Those leg mount brackets can probably be bought from CharGriller also so you could buy one and play around with it and experiment without disabling the grill.

Sorry, no offence intended but it looks too hillbilly to me, and I'm a hillbilly. I'd be looking for something to replace the legs, not attach to them. Remove the legs from the brackets and measure the OD and then find something that fits. A turned to fit wooden dowel would work and if you can't find pipe to fit your local exhaust repair shop should be able to shrink the ends down. Those leg mount brackets can probably be bought from CharGriller also so you could buy one and play around with it and experiment without disabling the grill.

I wonder if he had already painted the legs black if you'd have the same reaction?

How's the balance (center of gravity?) lifted up like that?

It is very stable, no balance problem at all.  It would be hard to tip over.

No offense taken, there's always at least one critic on every forum.  Muffler shops use tail pipe expanders to expand a pipe to slip another one into.  They don't use crimpers to crimp tail pipes to make them smaller.

I just wanted something simple and easy.  It's only a $128 cooker.  I may shorten the screws up on the couplers so they don't stick out so far, would make them look less "Hillbilly"  It works for me, your mileage may differ.  :)

My concern would be how easy it would be to knock it over if a pet or person accidentally knocks into it. A small table would be a more stable platform.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My concern with a small table is it would be so ease to bump one leg off the table and then you know what would happen.

Good to hear...looks a little top-heavy from the pics...My son is considering an Akorn Jr....He'll be interested in this modification.

Good to hear...looks a little top-heavy from the pics...My son is considering an Akorn Jr....He'll be interested in this modification.

It would be hard to tip over.  Not saying it couldn't be done but not during "normal" use.  The reason I went with the conduit and couplings is that if I want to make it portable and sit it on a tailgate or etc. I only have to loosen 6 screws and pull the extensions off.  A person could also take a conduit bender and put an extra little bit on angle on the legs if he wider a wider stance.

I was looking for simple.