Issue with Kick Ash Basket and OEM Cover for Big Joe

Admckillip

I have an original KJ cover and it did fade. It was complaints of the fading that lead to the new cover. The old one is very heavy. I can not review its durability because the BJ has to cool over night before putting it on and I am cooking a lot. The grill gazebo does offer some protection. If i were leaving for a month then i would bring it back out.

As for the KAB mine is rust4ed but it does not affect the performance.

Don't over think it dude, just start cooking.

"Don't over think it dude, just start cooking.".....This is sooooo true! Beermachine nailed it!!! So many Kamado users worry about rust, chips, scratches, hairline cracks, thin blue smoke, grate temp difference vs. dome temp, sparking lump, stained heat deflectors etc.,etc. etc. Light your Kamado, get it to your cooking temp, toss on the food and cook it to your target IT. Don't worry about every prissy little thing you can find to piss & moan about. Just cook and enjoy your food... :roll:

post-3565-0-48998500-1472323395.jpg

.....that being said, I do agree that Kamado Joe has had some really poor quality covers.  I have only had one, for my ComboJOE, and that is holding up stellar over several years, but I have seen some Classic and BigJOE covers that have not held up well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2016 at 3:55 PM, Smokahontas said:

I got the Innerflow Kamado cover for my Big Joe and love it! Fits well, breathes and is durable.

Good to hear...just got one from Firecraft on sale...fits great...and seems heavy-duty compared to the KJ brand cover.

http://www.firecraft.com/product/innerflow-kamado-cover-extra-large-kqx-044

LIke others have said about the KAB, it's raw untreated steel and will rust right away if left outside, especially in rain. Just take a low grit sand paper and rub off the rust or throw it in and start using it. Once it's inside your Kamado It shouldn't rust a whole lot anymore cause it's in a closed environment.  

My KAB is rusting badly in my KJ. I'll cook with it until it falls apart then buy another one.

I have the OEM cover for my KJ Classic, too. I've not had the problem with it blowing off - even last weekend when we had 90MPH gusts. One other time, we had gusts that lifted my (closed) patio umbrella out of the stand and carried it about 15' and into the pool - the KJ cover stayed on without issue.

That said, it's not a great cover. The rain goes right through it. Glad I got it free at the Costco show, 

I had the first generation cover for my Big Joe which was very heavy, but for some reason they had a bunch that didn't get UV protection and it truly rotted to pieces in about 3 months. KJ was great about it and replaced it with their newer version of the cover.  It is extremely light weight compared to the old one, which seems to be the problem.  Most days it was Where's Waldo when I would come home from work to find out where it was in the woods.  The solution was two bungee chords wrapped around it below its waistline and it stays put just fine.  It now does the job, but just doesn't seem to do a $1500 grill justice.  If I was starting over, I would not buy the KJ cover again.