ckreef

Reef's Vinegar BBQ Sauce

A slightly sweet vinegar BBQ sauce with a kick. Just thick enough to stick to your food. 

Final yield about 12 oz. 

2 cups White Balsamic Vinegar 

1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice 

1/2 Tbsp Sea Salt 

1/2 Tbsp md ground black pepper 

1/2 Tbsp red pepper flakes 

1/4 cup sugar 

1/3 cup ketchup 

RVSa.jpg

In a none reactive sauce pan combine all ingredients. With the kitchen exhaust fan on high bring to a boil with MD heat. Turn heat down to low and simmer an additional 30 minutes. (should be the consistency of whole milk.) Remove from heat and cool completely. 

Strain through a kitchen strainer to remove the big pepper flakes (still has plenty of kick). This is an optional step. 

Will store almost indefinitely in the refrigerator. 

RVSb.jpg

This is a spin off of a Myron Mixon recipe. 

4 minutes ago, Smoke and Awe said:

Wish I'd remembered this recipe this morning when I was planning for our community bbq.  But I still have time, so thanks for posting.

It's good to go as soon as it cools down so total time might be one hour. 

I love making and using vinegar sauces. However, I have a difficult time convincing most of my guests to give it a try over the "ketchup" (aka sweet tomato based BBQ sauces) that they always use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try this one. It has a little ketchup so it looks like a thin version of their goto sauce. It also has a bit of sugar so it's sort of sweet. This particular version I made with 1/3 cup sugar instead of 1/2 cup so it was a bit sweeter. It does have a little kick to it but you could always use half the amount of red pepper flakes to give it less kick.

Reef's Bistro

This looks similar to the hot vindegar sauce I love for pork. I will have to give this a try next time. I too have a problem with guests always wanting ketchup kind of sauces over this kind. Oh Well, I can freeze the leftovers for next time.

I made up a small test batch of this last night and was very impressed with the flavor and possibilities it brings.  After tasting it i have decided to try it again and i think i want to add a small amount of finely minced ginger to perfect it....  I can see a lot of variations coming off this...

@ckreef

19 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I made up a small test batch of this last night and was very impressed with the flavor and possibilities it brings.  After tasting it i have decided to try it again and i think i want to add a small amount of finely minced ginger to perfect it....  I can see a lot of variations coming off this...

@ckreef

Ginger would be a great ingredient to add. I love all things ginger unfortunately my family does not :-?

I have an upcoming cook I'm going to do with in  the next couple of weeks. I'm going to make a Cajun version of this sauce.