(video) Weber Summit vs 27 inch kettle with Slow 'N Sear...side by side pork cook comparison.

Baby Back Maniac

This type of video is right up my ally. I love bbq gear...In fact, that's how I found John's ManCaveMeals channel in the first place (which John reopened a few months ago in case you didn't notice.) 

I've been trying to do this cook for months (before summer), but haven't had a chance to make it happen until this weekend. 

I cooked two pork butts side by side. One was done in the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill and one was done in the Weber 27 in kettle with the Slow 'N Sear. Then we compared the results. Both were great, but they turned out surprisingly very different. I think I liked the kettle version better. My wife liked the other, of course. I think it came down to the smoke profile. 

I really hope you guys enjoy this. It was a TON of editing, but I like the way it came out. 

Nice video. Big fan of your cooking ones. I'm glad you agreed with the wine analogy in the comments section. I cooked on a Weber kettle in college and for many years afterwards. They've really stepped up the accessory game and that Slow N Sear is a nice one.

You ought to do a comparison between the Weber 27 with the Slow N Sear and the KK next, although I'm a bit scared of the outcome. I have a lot invested in my Primo XL.

21 minutes ago, rogerfromco said:

Nice video. Big fan of your cooking ones. I'm glad you agreed with the wine analogy in the comments section. I cooked on a Weber kettle in college and for many years afterwards. They've really stepped up the accessory game and that Slow N Sear is a nice one.

You ought to do a comparison between the Weber 27 with the Slow N Sear and the KK next, although I'm a bit scared of the outcome. I have a lot invested in my Primo XL.

You saw that? lol. That's funny. I just left that a few minutes before your post. Yeah, I don't have a lot of skin in the game and my ego is not tied up in it.  People are going to be happy with the one that makes them happiest. I love my Summit, but it's not perfect for everyone...but that's true of everything. Every grills have strengths and weakness and every owner has preferences/values. You gotta match them up for it to be a win. 

23 minutes ago, shuley said:

Gotta love it. Interesting that you and your wife would have opposing views.

I have to cut a ton of stuff out of the video to keep it from getting too long, but I wish I would have explained that a little more. She is a low smoke profile person and the Summit has a much lighter profile. A buddy described it as "using it as a condiment."

The SnS in the kettle with Kingsford and hickory chunks more closely (not exactly) represents something you'd get off a stick burner. Much more air flow = more smoke = faster forming bark. It also had a more pronounced smoke ring. The Summit has less air flow so the color isn't quite as dark and the meat is more moist. This aren't rules and you can do work arounds.  It's all about preference.  

• 1 month later...

Mr. Maniac,

Well done!  You really have a flair for this video thing so I hope you can keep it up as the final product is awesome!  Just great work and with so many cookers it really provides the viewer with some good perspective.  Great sense of humor--i still laugh at one of your unboxing videos where you accidentally threw the box over the neighbor's fence!

I know there is a ton of work behind your finished product so just wanted to say "thanks" and hope you have the time to make more!

G