Charcoal Addict

Mission Impossible: Sneaking a BJ Fish Grate into Canada

Charcoal Addict, Your mission, if you should chose to accept it, involves smuggling a most prized and highly valued item across the Canadain boarder.  It's a dangerous mission fraught with incompetent sales people, unexplainable customs fees and endless hours on the phone trying to chase down the elusive KJ Big Joe Stainless Fish Grate."

At least it this story should have started this way.  Somedays it felt like I was hanging upside down on a thin wire.  It's been an insane 2 months trying to get a hold the Big Joe version of the fish grate in Canada.

Cue up the Mission Impoisble Theme for the following list.  It's pretty hilarious. 

• July 12 - Called BBQ Country, put my name on the list of back orders 
  • July 15 - Called BBQ Country in Edmonton, they had no idea when it was coming. Asked me to call back in two week
  • July 30 - Called back in two weeks and asked to call back next week
  • August 7 - Told my week turned into another 2 weeks, I finally gave up on BBQ Country
  • August 9- Called BBQ World In Toronto 3 times.  They finally got back to me to say they don't have any time line of part number
  •  August 9- Called BBQ Galores in Calgary, BBQ Galore Special order a unti from the Canadian Warehouse and shipped it to me
  • August 18 When I opened up the box, to my surprise it was a Classic Fish Grate.  I shipped the unit back to Calgary.
  • August 23 - Canada Post messed up the shipment.  It took 3 more days to track down the return.
  • August 24 - The Canada Post Fiasco Finally got sorted out.  The item was returned.  A new Big Joe Fish Grate was ordered from a US warehouse 
  • Sept 10 - I found out I had to pay an extra 42 dollars for shipping and fees from the US warehouse 
  • Sept 14 The Big Joe Fish grate was finally delivered. 

It it only took 5 stores and 2 months and extra $40 dollars to get my hands on a Big Joe Fish grate.  Hopefully KJ will show some love to the Canadain Warehouse soon before I buy my 2nd one. 

I'm actually out of breath writing all this. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Good story - I actually cued up the music to read the story. 

Truth be told I was hoping to see a video of you being chased on foot by boarder guards and the fish grate saving your life deflecting bullets - just sayin .......... 

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

@Charcoal Addict

I am trying to understand how the 'fish grate' tag is appearing in the subject line of your post... I have never seen that happen and it's not happening on other posts here with tags... Any ideas?

I was wondering that too? 

And if you click on that tag it does a search. 

BTW the @ symbol can't find John Setzler 

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

@Charcoal Addict

I am trying to understand how the 'fish grate' tag is appearing in the subject line of your post... I have never seen that happen and it's not happening on other posts here with tags... Any ideas?

I added the Fish grate as a Prefix making it visible in the post.  It's new feature in IPB4.

21 hours ago, ckreef said:

Good story - I actually cued up the music to read the story. 

Truth be told I was hoping to see a video of you being chased on foot by boarder guards and the fish grate saving your life deflecting bullets - just sayin .......... 

That only happens when you try to sneak a brisket across the border.  

They'll be a farmer and a cow from Medicine Hat giving you serious case of stink eye the second you cross the border. 

I'm thinking dodging a few bullets would added some danger but it would've saved me 2-months agonizing.

Hey Charcoal Addict,

The stainless cooking surface is now easily available in Canada!  Just ask the wonderful folks at BBQ Galore in Calgary or Edmonton and they should have it or be able to get it for you without any issues :) 

On 2016-09-16 at 9:46 AM, Rak73 said:

Hey Charcoal Addict,

The stainless cooking surface is now easily available in Canada!  Just ask the wonderful folks at BBQ Galore in Calgary or Edmonton and they should have it or be able to get it for you without any issues :) 

If you have a classic Joe they are.  The Canadain Warehouse does't seem to have any Big Joe versions in stock.