Burned gasket?

jphii

I've been having  great time grilling ever since I bought the Vision.  Tomorrow is going to be my first long slow cook.  Going to do a butt.  I've done a few 3-4 hour cooks and haven't had any problems holding temperature.  For a long cook, I'm a little worried about my gasket.  When I "burned in" the grill when I got it, I had it up to well over 800.  The inner ring of the gasket is burned, about 3/8" in from the inner edge. What effect will this have on sealing?

I will get a Nomex gasket kit eventually, but for now, is this going to be a problem?

20160916_090633aa.jpg

After my first cook (searing filet so that I had a nice crusty outside and a bloody raw center!!! LOL) mine looked like that.  I reached out to Vision because of it out of concern and they offered to either replace it for free, or for a small up-charge send me the Nomex.  I have a Nomex gasket in my garage waiting to go on eventually, if I ever get a minute to handle that.  But I've been using the hell out of my grill as is without any issues.

I use Nomex gaskets now from high que..   I just wish the gold standard gasket was available.    The nomex is still better than felt but you can still eventually char the nomex gasket by going over 600.   I recently charred mine when I showed a friend that I could bury the needle past 700F.    Gasket is still useable once it gets too brittle I have spare gasket on hand that I can use to replace it.    

I bought a replacement gasket for my Primo Jr. a couple yrs. ago, thinking it needed it.  Guess what?!! Still haven't replaced it & it is real ugly looking, but the cooks still come out good & the fire goes right out when closed down, so can't be too bad!

I think most Kamado gaskets look like this at some point. generally speaking your gasket appears to be in great shape with a ton of mileage ahead of you.  Your low and slow will be just fine!

Edited by In2Fish

I keep forgetting to take pictures.  I've been cooking butts left & right.  They went on sale for 99 cents a pound and I stocked up.  Did the one pictured the other day, have one on now.  Going to do a couple more this week and them a butt & a brisket for tailgating next weekend.  I love this thing!

35mqhpd.jpg

On September 16, 2016 at 10:26 PM, danielc said:

You shouldn't worry about that gasket for your cook.  That still looks new compared to mine. :)

Ditto!!  That gasket is a virgin in my book.

Mine is charred & crumbled. I have a back up in the garage. & not concerned with rushing to install new felt..

I am a chronic pizza firer', Torching gaskets comes with the territory..

My lack of gasket has no impact on he low & slow cooks either.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update:  I looked at my vent gasket and it's almost gone.  I was wondering why I was getting a ton of smoke when I shut down the grill.  I contacted Vision and Melodie is sending me out the Nomex gaskets.  Excellent customer service!

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:07 PM, flyingscot64 said:

Keep it at 500 or under they will last a long time . Here is what will happen as time goes on they will start cracking all over the place and the char will increase to about 3/4 then it will be time to think about it . nothing to worry about now. 

crack.jpg

What is that on your grill.  It looks like vegetables, which usually makes me say PUKE!  But that looks good!