My Verdict about Pizza Cooking Temps

John Setzler

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

I really don't like this thread. There is no such thing as the optimum pizza temperature. It all depends on the dough formula your using. 

There is an optimum temperature for XYZ dough but not an optimum temperature in general. 

Agreed.. i am just finding that i like the results of everything I am doing in the 450-550 degree range much better than the hotter ranges...

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Agreed.. i am just finding that i like the results of everything I am doing in the 450-550 degree range much better than the hotter ranges...

It all boils down to personal preference. 

2 hours ago, kalinedrive said:

It all boils down to personal preference. 

Not exactly - has more to do with the dough recipe you're using. Neapolitan dough won't cook right at 450* and Publix dough will burn at 700* (just 2 extreme examples). The wrong temperature for a given dough is one of the biggest causes for pizza failure. 

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

Not exactly - has more to do with the dough recipe you're using. Neapolitan dough won't cook right at 450* and Publix dough will burn at 700* (just 2 extreme examples). The wrong temperature for a given dough is one of the biggest causes for pizza failure. 

True as well.. I love neapolitan pizzas at 900 degrees.  nothing wrong with those either.  its a simple 60% hydration FWSY dough.   That same dough a 70% hydration cooks perfectly 500-550.  

On 7/30/2017 at 9:37 AM, ckreef said:

My wife makes her own dough, and yes it is a Neapolitan type dough. So, yea, the dough drives smoker temp. A thread on how different doughs work best at different temps would be appropriate. I think some smokers run into issues not knowing how important that is. 

17 minutes ago, kalinedrive said:

My wife makes her own dough, and yes it is a Neapolitan type dough. So, yea, the dough drives smoker temp. A thread on how different doughs work best at different temps would be appropriate. I think some smokers run into issues not knowing how important that is. 

It's hugely important... I am in the process of making a video on baking pizzas on kamado grills that will show different types of cooks and in the end, explain why the dough recipe matters in terms of temperature.  There is a common myth in the kamado community that cooking hotter makes a better pizza.  While it 'can' be true, it won't be unless the dough is able to handle the heat.

I have read most of the posts in this thread and find that it is more about how one likes their pizza cooked and 0 posts of pizza fails in this topic

UNTIL NOW

I am the worst baker  i have yet been able to get the dough from the mixing bowl to the peel to the Kamado without totally messing the pizza up before it even cooks

I spend a lot of money buying the ingredients because you always say that it will make more then 1 pizza.  I do not have the patience for this  I always tend to throw it out 

confession  I only tried three times before I grew so frustrated i just gave up on homemade pizza's

my go to pizza now is on Tuesdays go to Papa Murphy's and buy a $10 pizza and come home and heat Kamado to 425 degrees and add pizza stones and pizza right on top of the white cardboard that is under the pizza.  comes out good everytime and wife does not complain

I just wanted to throw that out there. I do not have any desire to master the art of Pizza baking but I do enjoy reading all of your pizza cooks that are posted

Pick up a pizza screen for under $5 and you won't need to worry about tangling with the dough. We have one and will be picking up a second so we can quickly rotate off and onto the grill. We always do three pizzas when we cook them so two screens would let us pull one pizza, throw the next on and assemble the third while that cooks.