Simple Smoke: Turkey Legs

Mr Cue

Turkey legs are something I want to get really good at so we can sell them at our Little League snack shack. They cost about $2 and can sell for $10.

The problem I've had so far is getting the skin crispy. I cooked my first legs for about 3 hours at 225-250. They could have gone a little longer. But the skin was like rubber.

I had the same issue with a beer can chicken.

Any advice to get the skin edible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, pinseeker said:

Turkey legs are something I want to get really good at so we can sell them at our Little League snack shack. They cost about $2 and can sell for $10.

The problem I've had so far is getting the skin crispy. I cooked my first legs for about 3 hours at 225-250. They could have gone a little longer. But the skin was like rubber.

I had the same issue with a beer can chicken.

Any advice to get the skin edible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cook them at 400 degrees.  They will still take on smoke, they will cook quicker and the skin will be 'bite through'.  You can't get 'crispy' skin that has any crunch to it unless you cook them over direct heat in most cases.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

Cook them at 400 degrees.  They will still take on smoke, they will cook quicker and the skin will be 'bite through'.  You can't get 'crispy' skin that has any crunch to it unless you cook them over direct heat in most cases.

I believe I will try that next time. The skin was very flavorful but had a slight chew to it. These weren't as large as I'd like them to be either. I need to find some monster sized legs next time. 

• 4 years later...

Sometimes poultry is packed with brine (Purdue does this a lot) which makes it hard to get anything but rubbery skin. I have found that drying the skin with paper towels and then letting them sit uncovered in the fridge all day helps. I still haven't perfected it but I'm getting close using a 2 zone apprach..