Judson

Kamado Cooking is my New Obsession

I inherited a vertical propane smoker from my uncle a few years back and have been smoking pig, beef, chicken, turkey and veggies.  I live in the great white north, Buffalo, NY, and was looking for something I could run all year round and was more versatile.  I started researching kamadoes and KamadoGuru has been my go to source for reviews and tips.  

A few weeks ago Amazon put the Pit Boss 24" on sale for $533 with free shipping and assembly.  Unfortunately we don't have a Costco near us or I would have picked one up there.  The grill arrived with no cracks or issues.  The assembly service put it together the next day in less than an hour and I was up and running by the weekend.

I have been following the threads on recipes, accessories and mods for the grill.  So far I have done a few pizzas, beer can chicken, reverse sear steaks and pot roast.  I picked up the spider from the Ceramic Store and doubled up on the felt.  This weekend I am going to do beef brisket, short ribs and some pork spare ribs.  I will put pictures in the forums.

The Kamado Guru site is a huge help and I check it daily now.  I am looking forward to fueling my obsession.  My family doesn't mind the obsession because they get rewarded in food.  Thanks for creating this site.

Great to have you on board...  I too was in your same shoes about two years ago and finding this forum was the icing on the cake and only fueled this new passion of mine.

Go luck and post often!

Hi Judson, and welcome.  It's one thing to read about kamado cooking, but now you'll join in for real.  Looks like you've got some special helpers to cook for, so we look forward to some pictures from you.  Don't let what you already know get in the way of what you can learn from kamado cooking; you have a lot of experience, and your knowledge of meats, smoking woods, etc. will get you down the road real fast.

On September 29, 2016 at 0:19 PM, Judson said:

... ... I live in the great white north, Buffalo, NY, and was looking for something I could run all year round and was more versatile.  

... ... This weekend I am going to do beef brisket, short ribs and some pork spare ribs.  I will put pictures in the forums.

Welcome to the forum Judson. Now at least we know where we can get a bite on our way to Niagra Falls :-D

Sounds like quite a cook. How did it go?