PennHead

I had a brisket that was just begging to be smoked and well it is the "Beef" challenge so.... I started with a 11lb choice packer, trimmed it and rubbed it with steak seasoning.  I was having friends over for some college football Saturday and had a little too much fun Friday night so I was not up early enough to do low and slow.  Turbo brisket it was.

20160924_090932_zpszktimxil.jpg

On to old smokey at 350 indirect with some local pecan chunks.  I put a drip pan with the trimmed fat below the brisket.

20160924_091949_zpse28xnzem.jpg

Brisket09242016-4281_zpsbawoijn5.jpg

Brisket09242016-4286_zpsneycci7w.jpg

Brisket09242016-4307_zpsd9zlnlun.jpg

Brisket09242016-4315_zpse5jiqg2b.jpg

Plated with bbq baked beans and my no knead bread.

Brisket09242016-4322_zpsazvcqd0n.jpg

Thanks for looking. 

On 9/29/2016 at 0:41 PM, Grabber70Mach said:

Nice looking brisket.

Thank you.

21 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

How was the tenderness on your turbo brisket?  Really looks delish.

It was pretty tender, the flat was a little dry but the point was perfect. I chopped and mixed it all together and it was really good. My guests couldn't get enough of it.

21 hours ago, bcrgrill said:

Looking good!

Never done brisket quite that hot & fast, but have @ 275F & nobody savvy to the difference.

Thank you

19 hours ago, dman said:

What was the total cook time and how did it compare to a low and low cook as far as moistness and taste?

Cook time was around 4 1/2 hours, then I let it rest in the oven for about 30 mins. I definitely prefer low and slow as I don't believe the flat was near as moist but the point was great. Since I was chopping it all together it didn't really hurt the finished product.

18 hours ago, dsarcher said:

Great looking brisket. I have not done 350 but have done 325. I think the faster cooks are 95% as good as a more traditional low and slow and a whole lot faster.

Thank you. I think from now on if I'm going to make chopped brisket turbo will be the way I go.

13 hours ago, shuley said:

I am going to try 275 one of these days.

9 hours ago, ckreef said:

Nice turbo brisket. I like the fact you went for it anyway even though you were running out of time.  Definitely need to know how long it took. 

Thank you, took right at about 4 1/2 hours.