Ben's no-knead recipe #5

Ben S

I hope you guys like this one, 

I keep starter alive by feeding it nightly 1:1:1 starter:water:flour. 

12 hours later, approx 7 am, mix 20 g starter, 100 g water, and 100 g flour. Let this sit for 9-12 hrs. 

Add 300 g water, 400 g flour, 10 g salt. Mix well. Very well. Let this sit for 4-6 hrs. 

Shape and place in a proofing basket. Into the fridge for 12-36 hrs. 

Heat DO in oven as hot as it will go, mine goes to 550 F. 

Remove cold dough from fridge, score and place into the covered DO for 20 min. 

Remove cover, lower temp to 475 F until the desired color. 

I have repeated this several times. Enjoy the photos. 

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1317.JPG

IMG_1336.JPG

That is great!  If we had refrigerator space, I'd give this a try.  Really some nice looking loaves!

Been doing 25-50% whole grain flour (my grind) & doing a poolish for ~8 hrs., then an overnight batch ferment, then into the cooking vessels 1st thing in the AM for the final rise.  Makes some good loaves, either artesan style or pan style.   Cold starter, cold water, & sometimes flour straight from the freezer.

I have found that kitchen temps can have a huge affect on results. The rule of thumb form my Chem lab days was a 10 degree C change in temp can have a 2 X affect on reaction rate. I see approximately that with my starter... let's see what happiness when it gets really cold here...

Ben:  Have you tried baking from a cold oven / cold dutch oven?  I can't much tell the difference.  Seems to me that the secret is to not over-proof your dough.  I have had some with no oven spring.  Proofed too long.  Bread still very good -- just don't get those neat looking artesan bread look. 

11 minutes ago, bcrgrill said:

Ben:  Have you tried baking from a cold oven / cold dutch oven?  I can't much tell the difference.  Seems to me that the secret is to not over-proof your dough.  I have had some with no oven spring.  Proofed too long.  Bread still very good -- just don't get those neat looking artesan bread look. 

I have tried all the variations. I find preheated to be the best with my schedule. I agree not much difference in the end result.  

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, bostoncoffeeparty said:

It worked very well, thanks for the starter. Needless to say my wife and kids have already eaten most of the results...86779699ab2b23b66fb24f1a82079fa6.jpg7073efc441f94fbe809038cf2fe1ad28.jpg248ae7a4ad6f8b711872aec2d9db949e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly I was wrong when I said they would eat half today.  I should have said ALL.  

Start another loaf!  May I suggest grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner?