John Setzler

Taco Soup - Healthy Recipe

TacoSoup.jpg

I recently started using the MyFitnessPal app to track my food and calorie intake.  Their blog has some interesting recipes pop up occasionally.  I saw this one come up a few days ago for Turkey Taco Soup and I wanted to give it at try.  My girlfriend won't eat turkey so I substituted lean ground beef in this recipe... the Ingredients and nutritional information are as follows:

TacoSoup2.jpg

Directions:

I heated up my stock pot and then added the olive oil.  I put in the onions and sauteed them for about 5 minutes.  Then I added the garlic and green peppers and sauteed for another minute or so.  Then in with the ground beef until it was browned, stirring constantly.  After that, I added the rest of the ingredients, brought it to a boil and then reduced to a simmer with the lid on.  I tasted this after simmering covered for about 20 minutes and decided it needed a little additional salt.  I added 1 teaspoon of salt and maybe a quarter teaspoon cracked black pepper and let it simmer some more.  

One serving of this is about 2 cups, so a meal for me is about 1.5 servings or 3 cups....

You can garnish this with tortilla chips, green onions, cheese, sour cream or anything else you might like.  The flavor of this one is pretty good!

Note:  The Bush item is Black Beans and this recipe also measured out to 5 2-cup servings which would make it 420 calories per serving...

Recipe just says "Bush" -- we assume that be beans?

Wife makes a very similar, but usually ad libs it depending on what we have on hand.  A very hearty, filling soup for the cool fall & winter months!

5 minutes ago, bcrgrill said:

Recipe just says "Bush" -- we assume that be beans?

Wife makes a very similar, but usually ad libs it depending on what we have on hand.  A very hearty, filling soup for the cool fall & winter months!

Opps.. I need to fix that.. shoudl be black beans...

I was very impressed with the results overall.  I'm sort of excited about trying the leftovers.  This feels like one of those recipes that will be better the second time around after being frozen.  Several of my chili and pasta sauce recipes seem to improve with some time in the freezer.. not sure how or why that happens.  Maybe it's my imagination.  I'll be making another round of this soon.  I'll be making a double batch and I plan to cook it on the FireDisc grill outside.. i think this will be a fun cook on that!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By philpom
      "Pickled" Dill Bread

1 cup of water + 1 tbs
      1/3 cup of white vinegar
      4 cups of all purpose flour
      1/4 cup of potato flakes
      4 1/2 tbs white sugar
      2 1/2 tbs powder milk
      2 tsp kosher salt
      3 tbs butter
      4 tsp instant dry yeast
      1 heaping tbs dill seed.

Combine according to your bread machine instructions. Mine says add fluid, flour, other - being certain the yeast does not come in contact with any water.

Use the knead/dough only quick cycle. Once the cycle is completed remove the dough ball and form a "log" blob. Have a pre-warmed pizza stone ready with a heating pad underneath set to high to keep it warm. The stone should be a gentle warm and not hot. Place a large clear bowl over the dough and allow an additional 1 to 1 1/2 hours to rise. I put some cornmeal on the stone to help prevent sticking.

Place in the kamado preheated to 350 degrees setup for indirect cooking and bake for about 50 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when you tap on it.

Cut and serve - be sure to try it still warm with butter!

Look at this topic for some picture of what it might look like:
      viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2819
    • By CentralTexBBQ
      Okay so, this isn't quite a Kamado cook. It's in preparation of a Kamado cook because:
      It's going to be below freezing when I start the brisket Friday 1am. Who buys soup anymore?  
      Ingredients- shallots, butternut squash, carrots, onion, Roma tomatos, garlic (all fairly fine to medium diced), rosemary, sprouts of Brussel and various spices and peppers

Sweated the shallots and the vegetables in a little butter and avacado oil; added 1/4 liquid to establish a broth. Will refrigerate and finish tomorrow afternoon

• By Dub
      Long day at work yessaday.

No lies....it sucked and was a grind.

Made it through and finally made it to my truck for the ride home.

Called into headquarters and spoke with my son about dinner plans.  We both agreed that tacos sounded great.

Made it home and pulled apart the leftover jerk chicken and chuck roast.   Put in a pot with some taco seasoning & beer and let it simmer a while.

Had 6 soft shells and 6 hard shells on hand.

Frijoles, cheese and sauce in between the layers.

He killed these four and then grabbed up one of the remaining two.  I made off with the lone taco and it was mighty good.

• By alliecat61
      I am not a fish eater, but would like to acquire a taste for it using my kamado.  Do you guys have any suggestions for this endeavor?  Cookbooks, receipes, videos, personal experience, etc.
    • By DerHusker
      Chicken is my wife’s flavor and I like to mix it up so I went with a Shawarma feast. Started out with some chicken thighs that were on sale.

Shinned and deboned and cut them in half.

Bones were saved for making stock at a later time.

Next I made up a yogurt based shawarma marinade. Here are the ingredients:
      1 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
      5 cloves of garlic
      ¼ cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
      ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
      2 tbsp. of olive oil
      2 tbsp. of ketchup
      1 teaspoon cloves
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon paprika
      ½ teaspoon cumin
      ½ teaspoon caraway (ground fennel)
      ½ teaspoon cardamon
      ½ teaspoon of oregano or thyme
      ½ teaspoon cinnamon
      ½ teaspoon nutmeg
      ½ teaspoon crushed peppercorn
      ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
      ¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Everybody in the pool

and then thoroughly mixed.

The thighs now went into pool for a nice long rest.

Next I made up some Tzatziki. Here are the ingredients: (From Chef John on FoodWishes.com)
      2 cups Greek yogurt
      1 large cucumber, peeled, grated, tossed with 1/2 teaspoon of salt
      4 cloves garlic, very finely minced
      juice of half a lemon or vinegar to taste
      3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill and/or mint
      salt, pepper, to taste

Next up was the Hummus ingredients.
      One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
      1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
      1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini (we used Krinos)
      Half of a large garlic clove, minced
      2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
      1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
      2 to 3 tablespoons water
      Dash of ground paprika for serving

Then some Persian Rice (From Bosco)

2 cups of basmati rice
      3 ½ cups of chicken stock/broth
      2 tbsp of butter
      ½ tsp turmeric
      ¼ tsp cumin
      Kosher salt and pepper

And finally a Mediterranean Tomato Salad.

Now I can cook the Shawarma. Broke out my good skewers. (Closest I can come to a Shawarma rotisserie) I used two so I could better control them on the grill.

Now I tightened up the stops to help keep in the marinade and juices

and placed them on the grill.

Flipped them after 5 to 6 minutes.

Here is everything plated up family style with some cucumber slices, baby pickles, pita bread and a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA.

So Good! My wife loved everything and said it was the better that anything she’s ever ordered at a restaurant.
      Thanks for looking.