Jump to content

Advice for brisket roll


Recommended Posts

I have bought part of an Angus steer that my BIL raised, and the butcher included something called brisket roll.  I have never done any brisket on my KJ, and I am having trouble even finding what a brisket roll is.  Perhaps just a small part of the flat rolled up?  Anyway, I very unexpectedly have the next two days off work, and got a wild hair to try one on friday.   This roll is  3-4" in diameter, and about 8" long.  Any suggestions on how to prep and smoke this would be immensely appreciated.  Just got it out of the freezer and took a pic.

 

 

PICT0581.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Shortyque said:

Specifically wondering if I should unroll this to season, or just put the seasoning on as it is.

I am guessing you could get away with either. 

How thick are the layers of the roll? 

 

Without knowing more, I would treat this like any other low and slow beef. 1) rub with salt and pepper (insert your favorite rub). 2) low and slow, 250-275 until it probes tender. 3) optional, wrap in foil and a flavorful liquid once the bark sets. You will try scratching the bark with your after 160 F until the bark is set. I like to foul with beer and honey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

I am guessing you could get away with either. 

How thick are the layers of the roll? 

 

Without knowing more, I would treat this like any other low and slow beef. 1) rub with salt and pepper (insert your favorite rub). 2) low and slow, 250-275 until it probes tender. 3) optional, wrap in foil and a flavorful liquid once the bark sets. You will try scratching the bark with your after 160 F until the bark is set. I like to foul with beer and honey. 

Thanks.  The layers are about 3/4" thick.  I think I may try to inject some beef stock into this, then season and smoke until tender.  Not sure if I am doing this Fri. or Sat. will try to post some pics and results when finished.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kamado Al said:

Please people! Stop pulling beef!!! LOL

 

24 minutes ago, rickcharles606 said:

 


Lmao, my thoughts exactly. I don't care for shredded beef anything


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

4 hours ago, Shortyque said:

Thanks.  The layers are about 3/4" thick.  I think I may try to inject some beef stock into this, then season and smoke until tender.  Not sure if I am doing this Fri. or Sat. will try to post some pics and results when finished.  

Tender big beef flavor sounds good to me! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today was a lovely rainy day, not much wind, awesome grilling weather.  Put my little brisket roll on this morning about 8:00.  I slathered Marie Sharp's Exotic Sauce on, then kosher salt and cracked pepper.  Tried to inject some beef stock in, but it just kept running out the folds of the roll .  Used three large chunks of rough cut oak wood for smoke.  Grill at 275, foiled the roll at 170 degrees, pulled at 203 degrees and rested for 3 hours.  The beef flavor was really good, and the oak smoke went very well with it.  It was a little dry, though, I'm thinking next time maybe don't take such a small piece to 203.  Maybe 190 or 195?  For the first brisket attempt of any kind, I was happy, though.  We made smoked mac & cheese to go with it (another first).  All in all great comfort food for a rainy Saturday nite meal.  

   I still really don't know how this brisket roll is made.  I have never seen it anywhere else, but when we got our portion of the steer from my BIL, we got 3 of these rolls.  The next two will be even better!

PICT0583.JPG

PICT0587.JPG

PICT0588.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks awesome.

 

Dry meat tends to mean undercooked not overcoooked. If the brisket pulls apart that would be cooked past some peoples liking, but perfect for others. 

From the pictures it looks like a flat that was trimmed of all its fat and rolled up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Bit late to this post but rolled brisket seems to be the standard in the UK and all you seem to get in the supermarkets.

 

It's really irritating as I've recently got into smoking on a kamado and finding the thickness and quality of brisket cuts like you get in the US is trickier than I thought. No idea why this is!

 

I am thinking of trying a rolled brisket however but unrolling and smoking like you would a standard cut. What could go wrong?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KamadoJon said:

Bit late to this post but rolled brisket seems to be the standard in the UK and all you seem to get in the supermarkets.

 

It's really irritating as I've recently got into smoking on a kamado and finding the thickness and quality of brisket cuts like you get in the US is trickier than I thought. No idea why this is!

 

I am thinking of trying a rolled brisket however but unrolling and smoking like you would a standard cut. What could go wrong?

 

Exactly correct. Brisket in the UK is normally the flat rolled up and tied. It's excellent for a long slow pot roast or something like that, but no so good for a long slow smoke.

 

The flats we get here are pretty thin for some reason and really easy to end up with dry meat if you do a long slow smoke on it.

 

Now then, as you are in the UK and looking for brisket to smoke, what you really want is a full "packer cut" brisket. But even that won't necessarily get you what you need from your butcher. This is the best (US style) brisket supplier I have found in the UK so far:

 

https://www.johndavidsons.com/pitmaster-bbq/brisket-love

 

They have a fantastic selection. Not cheap, which kind of pisses me off as brisket is meant to be a cheap cut, but they have exactly the cuts you (we) need for "proper US style" slow smoked brisket.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...