Vision Kamado Satisfaction Survey

John Setzler

Vision Kamado Satisfaction Survey  

498 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It took two years for my gaskets to fail and that was my own fault. I have a Vision Pro going on three years. I had a minor issue and it was taken care of immediately. My temp gauge clouded up. I have no complaints and have done all types of cooking. I will say I bought another grill grate with a swing out upper grate because I didn't care for the second tier on the Vision. If I ever replace my grill, I would probably get a bigger one but there are just two of us so what I have works very well. You are going to have issues with most of the Kamado grills at some point or another so you just deal with it. Vision has excellent customer service and will even help with any advice you need.

Whiner really? Come on the ash rake did not fit through the hole. I had to fight with them all day to get them to do something. Sure I payed a lot less but when I was advised when the firebox developed a hairline crack and I contacted them about it they said leave the firebox in the kamado and use an ash rake. They said it would work fine. I had no problem with that. No big deal but I can't clean the ash out and follow their advice because it doesn't fit. The ash rake won't go through the hole. If I can complain and get them to do something to make my grill work why would I not call? I am just saying when you spend money on something you should try to make sure it is taken care of and that it works. I am not saying it is the worst grill. I really like my grill but I expect to be able to use the ash rake that was made for it without a problem. The company fought me all day trying not to help me. I have no problem with it's ability to cook but they should have offered solutions. I had to force feed them the answers of what needed done. As for the gaskets I have only recently realized that is an everybody issue. So I probably will upgrade them to nomex. I just posted an honest post that I really wasn't satisfied with their customer service or the quality of the grill. If that is really how all customer service is for kamado grills that still doesn't make it right. I complained to them because they should realize there are issues. Complaints can help a company improve their product. They can have a positive impact for future customers. Hopefully they can make some improvements and make a better product. Saying oh it is cheap so it should not work is nonsense. If they warranty the product then they should stand behind it and fix the issues. It should not be an all day fight. First the gaskets have a one year warranty so I made a claim for a failed gasket because a warranty means they replace them at cost to them because it wasn't made correctly. Also it has a lifetime warranty for the ceramics as the vent hole was way too small for the ash rake it is a manufacturers defect with the ceramics. I suggested they need to change the ash rake to be smaller not to replace the grill. My suggestion not theirs. I said that they could replace the grill if they did not want to change the ash rake as it was a manufacturers defect and they changed their tune. It took all day to fight them to get them to honor the warranty. If they did not want to do anything then it should have no warranty as it means nothing if they won't honor it. Another thing why do you feel the need to call me names? Do you work for Vision Grills? Why are you upset about me telling the truth? I had a bad customer service experience and wasn't satisfied. I won't buy another one as they did not want to listen and did not want to stand behind their product. I am not personally attacking anyone so I am not sure what is up with you being so hostile Dave. I don't appreciate you implying that I am a moron and also it did not go back because it said right with the paper work to call if there were issues and they would take care of you. I also got the last one they had in the store. Dave I don't know you and you don't know me so as far as I know we have nothing against each other so why are you so upset? What's with the name calling?

Look brother, I didn't call you a moron. I have nothing against you at all. If you have a legitimate claim then by all means I would do the same. You say the company fought you all day trying not to help you. Your words. That has to be an exaggeration unless you literally were on the phone all day.  

Then you say that you suggested that they not replace the grill due to a manufacturing defect but instead make you a modified ash tool. Why would you do that? If the vent is smaller than it is supposed to be, that may effect how the kamodo cooks. What happens if the ash tool breaks or the dog buries it in the back yard? You going to call Vision and have them make you another unique to you ash tool?  

If it would have been me, I would have said,look the grill vent was obviously manufactured incorrectly. What are you going to do to remedy the situation? How they responded would have set up how we proceeded. If they didn't offer me a new grill or at least a new bottom section, then I would have suggested that idea and see what the response was. If they would have argued with that and refused, then I would have asked to talk to someone higher up the food chain. If after all was said and done, they didn't want to help me to my satisfaction, well then that puppy would be on its way back and I would look at another manufacturers grill.

Then I would come on here and complain and let others know my experience. If they treated you badly then by all means I want to hear it, as I'm sure everyone would. I wouldn't buy from a company with poor customer service, and I would want to let everyone else know about it to.

I'm not affiliated with Vision grills in any way, and they can handle their warranty claims the way they see fit. I just don't think things went down as you describe. 

No bad Mojo from me brother. I just know how some customers can be, and I don't think we're getting the full story. 

Dave

4 years with my vision pro. Killed the gasket this winter. I average somewhere around 75-100 cooks a year.

The electric lighter port flap has warped a little due to the multiple heat cycles. It's okay I have that taped with some good ol duct tape. I keep meaning to get high temp sealer but it's not bugging me enough to do that.

CI ash grate is starting to show some wear but does not affect function. Just aesthetics. If it's a problem I'll get the kick ash basket.

Customer service was good with me and explained they can replace my top vent for free. Since I wanted the CI vent upgrade I would just pay for shipping.

What I'm getting at is 4 years of use for a mid range brand kamado and just starting to see some age on it.

Look it is how I said it before bad customer service. The ash rake barely is to large. I complained about that. I was told it was due to the kamado being hand made that there was an issue. I went back and read your comments and I misunderstood you I apologize for that. It may help if I just post copies of the emails as it went back and forth between the customer service rep and myself. That way you can judge for yourself. I have nothing to lose or gain by posting the e-mails. I will have to do it when I get home though as doing it on my cell phone is a bit difficult. I have to pick up my son from his grandparents as I just got done with work so it will be later tonight. I don't want you thinking though that I am whining. I know it sounds absurd believe me though I could not make this up if I tried. I am just not that creative. Again apologies I misunderstood your posts and I am sorry about that.

Thomas Winslow

Subject: Accessory pack

MAR 09, 2015  |  09:32AM CDT

Laurie Copeland replied:

I don’t believe the warehouse has had a chance to get to that as of yet. I would expect it to be sometime this week.

Sincerely,

Laurie Copeland

Customer Service Manager

Vision Grills

314-428-3166 X 106

MAR 07, 2015  |  04:56PM CST

Thomas replied:

Just wondering if the gasket had been mailed yet along with the modified ash rake. Thanks

- Thomas Winslow

MAR 03, 2015  |  10:31AM CST

Laurie Copeland replied:

Thomas: We only need the receipt for the accessory package – it does not need to be registered. I will put in a request with our warehouse for this modification as well as the top vent gasket.

Sincerely,

Laurie Copeland

Customer Service Manager

Vision Grills

314-428-3166 X 106

MAR 03, 2015  |  07:53PM CST

Thomas replied:

I realize I forgot to register the package. I am sending the picture of the receipt. Would you mind registering it for me? Thank you.

It's a bit wrinkled let me know if that works thanks. I tried to zoom in so you could read the receipt. Thank You.

- Thomas Winslow

MAR 02, 2015  |  04:44PM CST

Laurie Copeland replied:

We have your address from your registration, what I realize we do not have is your receipt for the accessory package.

Sincerely,

Laurie Copeland

Customer Service Manager

Vision Grills

314-428-3166 X 106

MAR 02, 2015  |  04:34PM CST

Thomas replied:

That would work fine for me. Is it going to be re coated black or is going to be bare metal? I imagine you are probably going to grind it down. If I were you I would grind off about 1/4-1/2 inch from top and the side so that it will fit properly. I would say your best to prevent future problems though would be to consider shrinking the head of the rake a good bit. It is better for it to fit and take longer to clean. I understand in a hand made product there are going to be variances in how each one is made but at the same time it should be taken into account that there needs to be some sort of specs for the size of the vent to fall into. I included the address for you to send the rake and the replacement gasket for the top vent. Thanks again for your help.

My address is

removed as I forgot it was in there lol.

MAR 02, 2015  |  04:15PM CST

Laurie Copeland replied:

Thomas: I’m sorry the rake does not fit into the grill opening easily but we cannot replace your grill for that reason. I can, however, ask our warehouse manager to modify the rake we have so that it will fit into your grill.

Sincerely,

Laurie Copeland

Customer Service Manager

Vision Grills

314-428-3166 X 106

MAR 02, 2015  |  03:58PM CST

Thomas replied:

If that is the case then you will need to send me the lower half of the grill to replace the bottom part of the kamado as I should be able to use the ash rake. If the size of the vent is incorrect that is not my fault. That would be a manufacturer defect. Would it even work to replace the bottom or would there be issues since they are hand made with just replacing the bottom? Let me know what you guys want to do. I appreciate your time.

-Thomas Winslow

MAR 02, 2015  |  02:49PM CST

Laurie Copeland replied:

I had the warehouse manager do a more exact measurement and he said it was 1 1/2 inches possibly over by a 32nd. And he got 2 1/2 for the width. His is a photo we took of it in one of our M grills. The grills are all hand made and there will be slight differences in them. So if your rake is the same size as the one I measured, then there would be no point in sending you one.

Sincerely,

Laurie Copeland

Customer Service Manager

Vision Grills

314-428-3166 X 106

MAR 02, 2015  |  12:40PM CST

Thomas replied:

Pretty close about 1/16" larger but I am guessing you probably just got a close estimate. So I checked again and it definitely doesn't fit. I took a video and thought it might help. It clearly does not fit.

Either the rake is off slightly or the vent itself is slightly off when it was molded. You may want to try having the head of the rake shrunk by about 1/16 to 1/4 inch to make up for the possibility of slight differences in manufacturing the ceramic cooker. I am thinking the vent ceramic doesn't look perfectly straight. It functions as a vent just fine but makes cleaning it an issue. Let me know what you think.

-Thomas Winslow

MAR 02, 2015  |  12:07PM CST

Laurie Copeland replied:

Thomas: I just tried out one in our warehouse and had no trouble with it. I measured the end of the rake we have as 1 1/2 inches by 2 1/2 inches. Is that the same as the one you purchased?

Sincerely,

Laurie Copeland

Customer Service Manager

Vision Grills

314-428-3166 X 106

FEB 28, 2015  |  06:23PM CST

Original message

Thomas wrote:

Hey I just tried to use my ash rake through the vent hole and it is too large. I have the Classic M series just so you are aware. Thanks.

- Thomas Winslow

Sent from my iPhone

I just copied it straight from the last email. You can see for yourself it was a bit of an argument. I did not edit it at all so some of the stuff at the end is not relevant.  It was a pain in the butt. The grill is not bad at cooking and is a fine grill except the issue with either the rake was sized incorrectly or the vent hole was incorrect. It controls temps perfectly but if I should not remove the firebox the ash rake needs to fit or I can not clean it and use my grill. Judge for yourself as you can see both sides. It is frustrating to have a dumb issue like that and get the run around a bit and have to make suggestions to them rather than they make suggestions to me about resolving it. I felt like they were trying to brush me off. sorry you have to scroll to the bottom and read to the top email to see how the conversation went.

The rake is an L shape so it fit's in the hole on my M at a slight angle but works fine once it gets in there. Personally I prefer a shop vac :)

I don't know if I kept the receipt for my accessory kit...

Hope I don't need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, in defense of Vision, I've had my Vision Classic B for over 2 years now, and it has been used for hundreds of amazing cooks.

It has changed my way of cooking, has become a rewarding hobby, and provided me, my family and friends with great food and memories.

For the price, it is an excellent kamado. Vision has always come through for service, even to me in Canada, and I will always support them.

For anyone thinking of buying a Vision, don't be swayed by the a very small vocal minority. Look deeper into this site and see all the positive reviews. 

Quote: Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but since prospective buyers may look at this thread I feel compelled to weigh in with a view that is largely contrary to some recent posts. End Quote

That's the only reason I respond to these type of posts. I don't want prospective buyers to get the wrong idea. 

Quote: In an absolute sense it seems pretty clear that their quality control could be better; however, it also seems unreasonable to expect top of the line quality control at a bargain basement price. End Quote

The thing is, every brand Komado has quality control issues not just Vision. These grills are manufactured in China by the thousands, some bad ones are going to get through. Ive seen just as many quality issues with KJ, and others. There are many posts about other manufactures lids not lining up, bad hinges, cracked fireboxes and on and on. 

There are a lot of fan boys on here for their brand. I'm not a fan boy. I could care less what others buy, but its posts like above that get under my skin. 

If I bought a Vision with a screwed up vent, guess what.....it goes back. 

My Vision didn't line up, top and bottom. I took five minutes on the web and found a solution to try. 10 minutes later I was good to go. If not, it would have been returned. 

I will guarantee you that if you put the same amount of the same lump in anyone of the grills and cooked a meal the same way in all of them.....can you guess.....wait for it.........No friggen difference.  KK excluded. Some on here own both Vision and KJ, I would love to see a side by side comparison on cooks using the same inputs. I already know what the outcome would be. 

Buy the CGS spider combo and you have a set up to do anything very easily. These are mass marketed China made grills made by cheap labor. You are going to have issues with all brands. 

Now if you want to pay more for the same grill because you're a fan boy......go ahead. 

Vision customers service from what I've seen has been just as good as the others. 

Dave

http://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/18980-band-troubles/

Dave