John Setzler

Lamb Chops - Who would bother with these?

LambChops.jpg

I bought these lamb chops today to cook for a Kamado Joe video.  I have cooked lamb chops before but this sort of food is just 'out there' for me. The package contains 5 bone-in lamb chops.  Total weight is 17.5 ounces.  That's an average of 3.5 ounces each including the bone.  There just isn't much meat on these things and I'm curious if any of you ever bother with stuff like this?  If you do, on what sort of occasion would you do them?  The can be made to look pretty on the plate but they need the #stillgonnabehungry tag :)

I have cooked those many times. I think of them as lamb Tbones.  We love them for dinner!  Just use your favorite lamb recipe. 

I suggest making a slurry of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary. Rub the meat, even let it sit overnight in the fridge. Cook to your desired IT. 

love them...I usually use oil, laurel leaves, juniper, fresh garlic for a quick marinade, path them dry and sear super hot

you can alternatively use rosmary and thyme instead of laurel and juniper.

In Italy we call them "costolette di agnello allo scottadito" that means "burnt-finger style lamb ribs" obviously when you pick them from the super hot bone :-D.

tipically we eat them for easter

My brother in law grilled some for Easter and they were great.  I think you have to like lamb though and I do. .  I like the game flavor they have.  Have been thinking of picking some up at Sams and giving them a go.  

2 hours ago, bostoncoffeeparty said:

I have them with vegetarians over to show them how cute meat looks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you aren't careful karma will hit and your kids will start a chapter of PETA out of your house. 

I have not tried those for the same reason that they are just to small but everyone who has tried them say they are a real treat.
A good marinade for at least Six hours and then a nice sear followed by a nice squeeze of lemon right before serving would be good.
Let me know what you think maybe next time I will pick some up.

John I don't know what you paid for those, but around here I can find them for $7-20 per pound with the cheapest price being Costco. That said, I haven't picked any up in a while. Next time I will SV them followed by a seat on the Joe. 

4 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

John I don't know what you paid for those, but around here I can find them for $7-20 per pound with the cheapest price being Costco. That said, I haven't picked any up in a while. Next time I will SV them followed by a seat on the Joe. 

These came from Whole Foods (which is 60 miles from my home) and I was actually surprised to get them for $9.99/lb.  I expected to pay more.  I think sous vide would be the way to go on these especially since they are only 1" thick.  I'd rather cook them sous vide and torch them for a sear.  Cooking these that are this small and thin to a medium rare on the grill will be a task.  

7 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

These came from Whole Foods (which is 60 miles from my home) and I was actually surprised to get them for $9.99/lb.  I expected to pay more.  I think sous vide would be the way to go on these especially since they are only 1" thick.  I'd rather cook them sous vide and torch them for a sear.  Cooking these that are this small and thin to a medium rare on the grill will be a task.  

Wow they are generally $20 /lbs at Whole Foods here. 

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

@Kamado Al

I'm a fan of the boneless leg of lamb.  The last ones I have cooked, I butterflied them, stuffed them, rolled them back up and butcher tied them and made some phenomenal roasts... 

That's they way I go, John. With many of the spices you mentioned above- and black olive, rosemary, thyme, pressed garlic, smoked paprika. It was... special