Kamado Joe roadshow coming to my local Costco. What do I need to know before buying?

xenoaroe

Hey y'all,

First time poster here.  The Kamado Joe roadshow is coming to town and I am planning on getting a Big Joe.  Has anyone purchased their KJ at the Kamado Roadshow?  What accessories are included?  Are the prices set in stone or can you haggle for some extras?  Do they sell the floor models for a discount?  Are there any accessories that are must owns that I should get before i bring the KJ home?

Thanks!

I bought my Classic at a roadshow, I will come withe the standard accessories, A Stand, side tables, Divide and conquer cooking system, grill grippers and a charcoal grate, they will also throw in a cover and a couple bags of KJ lump charcoal, If your lucky enough to get the floor models they will give you more accessories and might even give you a Joe Jr. The prices are set no haggling. as far as what accessories you will need, there are a lot, search the forum because there are several threads on that topic

If you can be first in line, they usually do a special with the floor model BJ and you get it and a Jr. for the price of the BJ. They usually throw in some bags of lump and maybe something else but the price is fixed. 

In terms of accessories the only thing you need at time of purchase is some type of product to light the coals. Starter cubes, gas torch, electric starter and cotton balls soaked in alcohol are the methods I see mentioned here most often. I don't think they sell the starter cubes at the roadshow, so you'll want to get some type of lighting method lined up beforehand.

The other accessories can wait until you've cooked on it a few times, the ones most important too you will become clear with the passage of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I got my big joe at the road show I got the jr. for free. Along with the above mentioned accessories I also got two boxes of Kamado joe lighter tabs. I also purchased 20 bags of lump while I was there.
If I had to recommend any accessories it would be to buy as much lump charcoal as your vehicle will carry. The price on the lump at the roadshow will not be found elsewhere.
The other stuff you can accumulate as the need arises.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Michaelf48 said:

When I got my big joe at the road show I got the jr. for free. Along with the above mentioned accessories I also got two boxes of Kamado joe lighter tabs. I also purchased 20 bags of lump while I was there.
If I had to recommend any accessories it would be to buy as much lump charcoal as your vehicle will carry. The price on the lump at the roadshow will not be found elsewhere.
The other stuff you can accumulate as the need arises.

Others have posted that the Big Joe+Joe Jr deal is a first come, first served opportunity on the first day of any particular roadshow (in other words, be first in the door). And the Joes might be the floor models but I'm not as sure about that.  

Yes that is true. I received the floor models and haven't had a bit of problem with either one. They are both covered under the lifetime warranty which from what I have and read on here us unbelievable.
First one to ask for the demo deal gets their choice of either the BJ-JR combo or the classic and a cast iron wok.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On October 8, 2016 at 9:57 AM, xenoaroe said:

Are there any accessories that are must owns that I should get before i bring the KJ home?

You won't find them at the Roadshow. And, I have been purposefully slow in buying accessories until I see the need.

23 hours ago, Tarheel said:

In terms of accessories the only thing you need at time of purchase is some type of product to light the coals. Starter cubes, gas torch, electric starter and cotton balls soaked in alcohol are the methods I see mentioned here most often. I don't think they sell the starter cubes at the roadshow...

The throw in the KJ Fire Starters...

On 10/8/2016 at 9:57 AM, xenoaroe said:

Are there any accessories that are must own that I should get before i bring the KJ home?

Based on my experience with a Costco Big Joe, you should be set to go...That said, the two accessories I've purchased since that I use very often are:

- Half Moon Cast Iron Griddle - Had shipped to local Ace Hardware

- Large diameter Cordierite Pizza Stone - bought from a local pottery shop (kiln shelf)

Bost these items are very heavy and therefore carry very high shipping costs if shipped directly to your home...So try to get them locally if you want to save these shipping costs.

Have a blast with your new Kamado.

1 hour ago, AshlandJoe said:

Based on my experience with a Costco Big Joe, you should be set to go...That said, the two accessories I've purchased since that I use very often are:

- Half Moon Cast Iron Griddle - Had shipped to local Ace Hardware

- Large diameter Cordierite Pizza Stone - bought from a local pottery shop (kiln shelf)

Bost these items are very heavy and therefore carry very high shipping costs if shipped directly to your home...So try to get them locally if you want to save these shipping costs.

Have a blast with your new Kamado.

I purchased a pizza stone about 4 months after my purchase so, this is by no means a repudiation of what AshlandJoe just said.

After buying my Big Joe, I was immediately bombarded with all this advice on the forums regarding what a new owner should buy. The list was endless- DigiQ, Flame Boss or Maverick, extra meat probes, a Thermopen, a torch or a looflighter, a kick ash basket, specific brands of lump (which were always better than all of the others), another grate (possibly cast iron), an extender grate, grill cover (because KJ's was supposedly crap), etc., etc. 

Really, what I needed was to learn my grill and to know what I would or wouldn't be likely to cook on the Big Joe. Necessity eventually required an extender grate (which I made) for a double brisket cook. The pizza stone, which I also found locally on the cheap is still in the box. Everything else– at least for me– can still wait.

Fyi, @AshlandJoe,

I seriously had to google Cordierite in order to know what in the heck it is. I now feel my lowly pizza stone is so very inferior. LOL

• 2 weeks later...