First Boston Butt on Kamado Joe

BBQpve

Well I'm now 9 hours into the cook, and it's not done. 7 lb. butt. Temps have been 230-260. 

What should I do? Should I foil it. I think I'm through the stall, as it stayed at 161-163 for a while. Should I increase temp?

suggestions please

Well I'm now 9 hours into the cook, and it's not done. 7 lb. butt. Temps have been 230-260. 

What should I do? Should I foil it. I think I'm through the stall, as it stayed at 161-163 for a while. Should I increase temp?

suggestions please

Sorry you did not get a response in time.

Cooking meat is not about time, but internal temps. A BB should be done between 195-205 (I pull it out at 203) and then rested at least an hour.

Your ambient temp was perfect.

If you have the time, don't wrap at the stall. Just ride it out. If not, you can wrap it but it does soften the bark. Bringing temp up to 275 can hurry it a little too. Just don't overdo it.

I like to plan the butt to be done 2-3 (even 4) hours ahead of time. It gives some leeway if the meat takes longer than expected. Then wrap, and place in a warm cooler (look up faux cambro) until a little before it is time to eat. Then pull the pork and serve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tarnation
      Prepped this little half butt for a work Halloween potluck last night, cooking it tonight.  Just a little teaser before I tucked in and put it to bed.

• By Brickyoung
      Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!
    • By cwhuling
      I ended up with a mostly free Saturday and decided to cook a couple of Boston Butts.  I finished my other chores early and decided to make home made rolls and Cole slaw to go with the pork.  This was the first time I brined a Boston Butt and was pleased with the outcome.  

• By brandonh
      I'm pretty inexperienced with my kamado, especially low and slow. My temp had been higher than I wanted (305) so I adjusted the top vent to nearly closed (1/8” or so). The temp held steady  at around 245 for the next 4 hours and now going into hour 6 my temp has dropped to 225 in the last 45 min. Is my fire out? I'm about 15 min from home so I don't want to go unless necessary. TIA
    • By NeroPrime
      Just got done with dinner, my first time making a Boston Butt.

https://goo.gl/photos/Gzk5ZWgnBB7Rbz9X8

The Akorn with the Tip Tip Temp kept an even 240-250ºF for the full 7 hrs.