philpom

Hike in family camping trip

The weather was great, mid 70's during the day, ~50 at night.  We took a 2 day hike in camp trip this weekend and had a blast.  as you might imagine with 3 kids my pack and Mrs philpoms pack was a bit on the heavy side.  We loaded the 10 year olds with some of the gear and that helped, even my 4 year old daughter shared the load!  

Dinner the first night was rehydrated chili (cooked and dried at home).  For some reason after a walk with a pack the food tastes so good going down.  Breakfast was rehydrated eggs with shelf stable chorizza on tortilla with cheese and salsa, another winner in my book.  Dinner on night 2 was Thai Ginger chicken w/coconut and red pepper.  It was the first time we tried this one and it is a keeper.  Our final breakfast was cheesy bacon grits.

We use a method of cooking called freezer bag cooking.  You only need boiling water and an insulated bag to hold the food while it rehydrates.  No dirty dishes and it help keeps the pack light.  We prepare all of our meals at home from scratch, dry it and package in advance.  

Here are a few shots of our discoveries this past weekend, enjoy!

IMG_20161008_104933533_zpsz1aaazin.jpg

IMG_20161008_105027015_zps965tt1iv.jpg

IMG_20161008_111200924_zps1tdbp4ll.jpg

And this is my primary knife when we go out.  It is a workhorse.  Made from 1095 high carbon steel, I love it.  (I once had to take out a 6' water moccasin with a much smaller blade so bigger is better and this knife works well for splitting wood for fire and making shavings to light one.

IMG_20161008_120209663_HDR_zpsfugcgk03.j

We had some good honest fun, the kids go to bed amazingly early when we camp, little legs get tired.  We are trying to squeeze in another trip soon, let's see if we can find time.  

Looks great, freezer bag cooking is becoming the norm on the trail. There are some holdouts, like Skurka, who tend to discredit it, but you can't beat the ease and end results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ross said:

Looks great, freezer bag cooking is becoming the norm on the trail. There are some holdouts, like Skurka, who tend to discredit it, but you can't beat the ease and end results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it works very well for us.  Pretty easy to adapt many different meal types and means food is ready to eat when you are.

Do you have any recipes you are interested in sharing?  If you are interested I have a few real winners.

Yes, it works very well for us.  Pretty easy to adapt many different meal types and means food is ready to eat when you are.

Do you have any recipes you are interested in sharing?  If you are interested I have a few real winners.

Yes. I have a couple. I'd especially be interested in some of yours. In the preliminary stages of planning my next leg of the John Muir Trail. Hope to go from Duck Pass (Mammoth Lakes area) to Vidette Meadows (Onion Valley, near Independence) this would be over 100 miles of rugged passes, my 15-year old son wants to go. He has physical capability, not so sure if he's got the mental endurance...

Anyway, perhaps I should start a separate thread in the healthy lifestyles forum for Backpacking Recipes?

On 10/10/2016 at 4:33 PM, Ross said:

Yes. I have a couple. I'd especially be interested in some of yours. In the preliminary stages of planning my next leg of the John Muir Trail. Hope to go from Duck Pass (Mammoth Lakes area) to Vidette Meadows (Onion Valley, near Independence) this would be over 100 miles of rugged passes, my 15-year old son wants to go. He has physical capability, not so sure if he's got the mental endurance...

Anyway, perhaps I should start a separate thread in the healthy lifestyles forum for Backpacking Recipes?

That would be a good idea, I have a few I'll post up.

4 hours ago, philpom said:

That would be a good idea, I have a few I'll post up.

I would especially be interested in your process for freeze drying. FD food is the answer in backpacking imo, especially if you are exploring an ultralight packing lifestyle, and I know that sounds cliche,  but I really do think that obtaining a sub 30lb pack, while staying safe from the elements and eating well is an obtainable goal. I was at around 34 lbs on my hike, and when I ate enough to food to get the weight down to sub 30, I could not believe the difference. My goal is 28 lbs. next summer, with food and water and everything.