pzampino

Successful London Broil

2 minutes ago, Grill_Boy said:

Tell all... how long did you cook it - did you sear both sides and then go off - coal for x minutes?
What temp did you pull it at -

How was it?

Inquiring minds wish to know!

Looks good.

2 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

Tell all... how long did you cook it - did you sear both sides and then go off - coal for x minutes?
What temp did you pull it at -

How was it?

I set the bulk of the charcoal toward the backside of center, and let it get up to 500F. I dropped it on the cast iron directly over that concentration of coals for 5 minutes, gave it a quarter turn for another 5 minutes, then flipped it over for another 10 minutes. Usually, that's all it takes, but this one was thicker than usual, so it took another 10 minutes further toward the front of the grill (sort of indirect). I pulled it at IT=120F, and let it rest for 15 minutes. The middle section was medium, while the ends were closer to well done. That works out great for us because my son and I love the middle, and the girls prefer the ends. It was fantastic, and I'm looking forward to using the leftovers for steak and eggs in the morning :-)

Excellent maneuvers - any special slicing involved grain-wise or does it matter on this cut of meat.

I've cooked Tri Tip lately with good results, want to try the London Broil and Flank as well.

Lots of fun and it keeps me out of trouble.!

2 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

Excellent maneuvers - any special slicing involved grain-wise or does it matter on this cut of meat.

I've cooked Tri Tip lately with good results, want to try the London Broil and Flank as well.

Lots of fun and it keeps me out of trouble.!

Remember that London Broil is not a particular cut, it is the preparation that is known as London Broil.  Point is, your LB might be a different cut than what is pictured here (I also thought that it looked similar to a tri tip).  As AugustusRooster said, always slice perpendicular the grain.  With steakhouse cuts (ribeye, strip, sirloin, filet, etc.) they are already cut that way, that's why you don't have to worry about doing so when it's ready to serve.  Flank, "London Broil", skirt, tri tip = slice perpendicular to the grain.

18 minutes ago, HaagenDazs said:

Remember that London Broil is not a particular cut, it is the preparation that is known as London Broil.  Point is, your LB might be a different cut than what is pictured here (I also thought that it looked similar to a tri tip).  As AugustusRooster said, always slice perpendicular the grain.  With steakhouse cuts (ribeye, strip, sirloin, filet, etc.) they are already cut that way, that's why you don't have to worry about doing so when it's ready to serve.  Flank, "London Broil", skirt, tri tip = slice perpendicular to the grain.

This is why I described it as a "poorly-named cut of meat". They sell it as "London Broil", but that could be any of a number of cuts.

13 minutes ago, pzampino said:

This is why I described it as a "poorly-named cut of meat". They sell it as "London Broil", but that could be any of a number of cuts.

Yep, exactly.  For that matter you could buy a large cut of top round or anything similar and call it London Broil. 

I did my first London Broil recently using the "reverse sear" method and it turned out pretty good. I tenderized it, seasoned it and let the meat marinade in Italian dressing over 12 hours which gave it a really good flavor.