rickcharles606

Venison tenderloin?

It's deer season, and yes we hunt in this family. My 13 yr old son took his first buck yesterday and we will grill it up. We gave most of the meat away, with exception to the tenderloins and a few nice steaks.

97045af321b8351d92b12646d1cba0bb.png

e8242ef0b328adf2232ed1325a28a6af.jpg

Tonight I trimmed the fat and silver skin from the tenderloin and its marinating overnight. The marinade is one I've used on flank steak and even sirloins in the past. The family loves it, so we will see how it does on this tenderloin.

1.5 cups orange juice

1 cup of soy

.25 cups Worcestershire sauce

1 clove garlic chopped

.50 onion chopped

Tomorrow before I put it on, I'll wrap it in bacon.

Then cook indirect at around 375-400 until the internal temp hits 135-ish then pull it, wrap in foil, cooler to rest for 30 min. Then serve.

We will see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I even let my son cut the tenderloin from the deer. Not too shabby for his first attempt. He's so proud, and so am I.

I'll have to dig up a picture of my daughter's 13 point she killed last year, it was a monster lol. When I asked her if she was hunting this year, she replied "why, I've already killed a deer bigger than any of yours".....snotty kid, lolol

I cut about 6" off of the tenderloin and wrapped in bacon and so that I could cook it longer for the girls.

Been on for about an hour at 300, indirect and it's smelling great. I'll peek in a few and pull it at 145 on the small on and 135 on the large one

c4b0397d1ffb67a844d3d96866ef0a74.jpg

f87d4c64b2ef360f3d328a8904b49ba3.jpg

The small piece was gone before I even came back into the house, lol. I initially cooked to 135 on the piece showing, but it was super rare and the family freaked out, but it was good. They pretty much forced me to put it back on for a little while, and the pic above is how it turned out.

The marinade was great, not even gamey at all, even my in laws loved it.

If I am not mistaken your son got a nice mule deer.    Tenderloin looks delicious.

Nah, it's a whitetail...no mulies in this area, sadly. Flavor was great, but my squeamish crew wanted it cooked longer. I prefer it medium rare myself

We talking about the backstrap (loin) or the tenderloin here? Both great cuts but if that's the tenderloin it's HUGE! Either way sounds great and congrats on the buck. I rarely buy any red meat at the store. Freezer is full of venison and wild hogs.

We talking about the backstrap (loin) or the tenderloin here? Both great cuts but if that's the tenderloin it's HUGE! Either way sounds great and congrats on the buck. I rarely buy any red meat at the store. Freezer is full of venison and wild hogs.

You sir, are correct. This is the backstrap loin, and not the tenderloin. My in laws kept commenting that this was as good as beef. It's all in the marinade ;-)