Why Spatchcock?

I prefer spatchcock to a whole chicken because I make stock and/or gravy from the backbone while the chicken is cooking. Halving the chicken would do the same I just never thought about it. I find it to be even but on the grill I have never done just a plain whole chicken. I may try halving the chicken and see if the moisture content is still the same and how that effects cooking time.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I prefer spatchcock all day long. It delivers the best desired result for me and my family. I've cooked plenty of birds and found this method has put out my best tasting chicken to date. It cooks more evenly for me, gives me the color skin I want, keeps the meat moist, and makes serving easy. 

So I'm curious as to why we are trying to discredit this method because of an opinion? If someone post that something they cooked was the best they ever had, it shouldn't matter if they cooked it in a dryer or on a komodo. It was simply the best "they" ever had. 

I cook mostly chicken leg quarters at 350-400 direct. At 49 cents to 79 cents it is just too hard to pass up. We also LOVE skin on bone in chicken breasts cooked to 150 -155 with carry over cooking and a bit of Pecan smoke. Those go for two dollars a pond and are so worth it. With pieces as John says --each piece gets done to it best possible. I always have a couple of lagging pieces that need the extra TLC.

Cutting the chicken into a full half makes a lot of sense--easy to move and flip but I have not tried it.

With the spatchcock the two times that I did them--the legs were prefect but the breast was pink and under done. i am sure that had I done more I would have figured it out. It does make an impressive presentation and for me is the only reason that i would do that again.

Once the rotisserie for the Big Joe is available then most likely whole chickens will always be on the rotisserie. I can do two at a time on the gas grill and have made some awesome birds on there in the past. Still not as good as chicken on the BJ with the Pecan smoke..

What ever a person like and gets good results with is all good.

@shuley makes a great point and that is something I do often. Spatch'd Cornish hens with saffron rice and peppers/onions is awesome. I make stock with the backbones, cook the rice and veggies in the stock, and find the flavor to be unbeatable over just using plain water or store bought stock. I like to heavily season my stock and use things like mojo for additional flavor. 

I like it because it cooks faster, it's fun to do, I find it easier to prep and there is no "inside" to worry about heat not circulating through.

I actually have had issues with uneven cooking of whole birds but nothing to make me hate doing it. Also, for a while there beer can was like spatchcock is now and I wanted to try something that was quite so cliche and then just got hooked on it.  

You make a good point about cutting it up to pieces first if that's how you plan on serving it. Never really thought about that before.

That said, I'm not married to or against any method. Mostly for me its about ease of prep and speed of cooking...and there is something primal about cutting the backbone out of a bird. 

So far Beercan chicken is the worst cook I've had with my Vision grill. The only other chicken I've tried is was spatchcock over potatoes and onions in a cast iron pan. (Followed one of your videos.). It came out great. I like the one skillet dish, which is why I'll continue to cook chickens this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys should check into Splayed Chicken cooked in a CI skillet.  I really like spatched chicken cooked high in the dome at 425 or so.  Even like it high in the dome cooked at 250ish for a crazy open pit taste, but my favorite is when you splay the legs and put it in a preheated cast iron skillet and cook it. 

Preheated the egg and CI @ 500 for 1hr then in goes the chicken. Cooked indirect about 4" above felt so I could take advantage of the radiant heat from the done. After 30mins I added some green onion whites, capers and crushed garlic.  It took bout 1:20 to get done 

IMG_6215.JPG

I prefer spatchcock all day long. It delivers the best desired result for me and my family. I've cooked plenty of birds and found this method has put out my best tasting chicken to date. It cooks more evenly for me, gives me the color skin I want, keeps the meat moist, and makes serving easy. 
So I'm curious as to why we are trying to discredit this method because of an opinion? If someone post that something they cooked was the best they ever had, it shouldn't matter if they cooked it in a dryer or on a komodo. It was simply the best "they" ever had. 

I don't think that is the intent of the question. I really think he is trying to see what others see as the benefit. I also often ask questions like this....because i want the opinion of people on this forum. I never want to discredit anyone.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

It's the skin. It's crisper imo than a whole chicken. Better flavor. Seems to be juicier imo.

Could be a difference in skill level. I find spatchcocking is easier for me to get the results of a nice crispy skin with a bit of char. Just a little char adds a nice flavor imo. 

The shorter time cooking is nice imo too. Juicier than when I cook it whole imo. Again it may be a skill level issue and an easier technique to master with little to no practice.

It is Just a different technique and No I really don't think it is just for show.

Until the JOEtisserie I use to spatchcock all my Chickens and Turkeys. They tend to cook faster, which is not a big plus, but I found that the white meat and dark meat followed each other better from the standpoint of IT. I could also get crispier skin easier vs. cooking a whole bird. I also liked the fact that you could take a half or a quarter of the flat bird and serve it over a bed of rice. I have left the spatchcocked bird both whole and cut in in half prior to cooking, but I preferred leaving it whole. Now I prefer rotisserie the best!