Mini Plate Setter

I was able to make a platesetter/heat diffuser for my newly aquired mini bge. I first tried to use a small ceramic pizza stone that we have....used to have. I needed to trim some off the edges because it was too big. Well, that didn't go so well then I remembered I had a flat cast iron griddle that I got with one of my weber performers and I have never used it. So after some cutting with a jigsaw, a trip to the store for a new blade, some more cutting and some grinding....viola! I even have enough to do a half shield like a mini divide and conquer.

31794ccb9af862de972b59bbdeedeb5a.jpg

Now for some seasoning and away we go!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
On 10/15/2016 at 9:36 PM, d7k8 said:

The mini now has a plate setter. You can get one from big green egg. I got one with minehttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161016/eeed1dac707063739be240f968aec4bb.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haha, I finally got around to getting a platesetter for my mini!  Splurged and got a new ring and firebox too!  Love this little guy.   

6D38AE4F-1A46-4C06-B6A2-5958BCE2A095.jpeg

FE182520-95CA-48F4-BDD0-9423231C23F8.jpeg

Read through this whole thread @Lumpy_Coal great iniative with original homegrown plate setter. I gave my mini to my nephew years ago. He uses it alot.

When you bought the new platesetter did it require a new ring to sit in grooves? Or did you just replace to have new?

1 hour ago, Vanole said:

Read through this whole thread @Lumpy_Coal great iniative with original homegrown plate setter. I gave my mini to my nephew years ago. He uses it alot.

When you bought the new platesetter did it require a new ring to sit in grooves? Or did you just replace to have new?

It did require a new ring as the design was different to accommodate the legs and I just wanted a new one. 

I’ve seen post in the bge forum where a guy uses an extra ring to raise the grill up more.  I wanted to try this plus my original ring although was still together did have a crack.  

I also saw in another post where someone modified his old ring to accommodate the square legs of the platesetter. For the small extra price of the new ring, I opted to get another.  It is only a mini after all, parts are cheap when compared to the big eggs.