Autumn is here...and some big holidays are ahead of us.  Holidays that often involve lots of cooking and eating...This Thanksgiving and Christmas season will be my first with the Kamado Joe...and I will surely cook some traditional stuff (e.g. turkeys and roast beef) on the Big Joe for the family during those times...I'm hoping to get some input and perspective from some of the Gurus on this site for getting the most out of the Kamado during the holidays (on turkey and beef, yes...but beyond those items too)....If you're so inclined, please share your tips, techniques, unique holiday cooks, etc. related to how you've successfully employed your kamado during the holidays...

Thanks in advance for sharing.

I'm not sure if I'm not allowed to suggest prime rib since you said "beef" but I HIGHLY suggest you give it a shot. It's SO easy.

I've done it hot and fast (er) and slow and slow and every way it turns out great but my preference is to smoke at 225-250 until the interior is around 130 with a reverse sear at the end just to firm up the crust (but even that isn't necessary).

8 minutes ago, Baby Back Maniac said:

I'm not sure if I'm not allowed to suggest prime rib since you said "beef" but I HIGHLY suggest you give it a shot. It's SO easy.

I've done it hot and fast (er) and slow and slow and every way it turns out great but my preference is to smoke at 225-250 until the interior is around 130 with a reverse sear at the end just to firm up the crust (but even that isn't necessary).

Sounds like a great Christmas Roast...I like the low and slow approach...medium rare throughout...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      Shelter in place turkey

• By Smokingdadbbq
      If you haven't tried dry brined spatchcocked turkey before you're missing out... created a quick how to for those unfamiliar with any of the techniques.

Still working out how to make videos so appreciate your candid feedback.... but not too candid lol jk 

• By DerHusker
      We spent Thanksgiving with good friends and neighbors and their family. We were tasked with providing the dressing and a pecan pie. The pie we bought from Costco but for the dressing I made my favorite Cranberry, Apple and Walnut dressing.
      (Recipe can be found here:
      Here are most of the ingredients.

Melted the butter and sautéed the onions and celery.

Combined the cranberries, apple and walnuts.

After the butter, onions, celery, apple cider and chicken stock had simmered 10 minutes I stirred it into the dry dressing and spread it out into the baking/serving dish.

I covered this with AF and cooked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then uncovered it. I cooked for another 25 minutes at 350 and this is the results.

Here are some pics of the rest of the dinner entrée’s that we enjoyed.
      Mashed potatoes.

Miscellaneous sides.

White meat plate.

Dark meat plate.

My plate.

We had a great time of food and fellowship. Hope you all had a great day as well.
      Thanks for looking.
    • By Tarnation
      1 hour in to my first turkey on the Akorn.  I let it smoke @ 250 then upped the temperature to 325 to cook and crisp. More updates to come.

• By Charcoal Addict
      That damn artic vortex is lounging over Alberta, Canada like a drunk who won’t leave his chair at his favourite dive bar.  It’s the 13th day of -27 F - -32 F windchill cold.  I had to use my torch to thaw the upper and lower vents to open them.  It’s one of the worst February’s we’ve had in 21 years.  Normallly it’s 10 F to 40 F most recent years with the expcetion of the odd cold day.  We are getting use to warmer winters.

it was too cold to use the Joetisserie last night so I opted for roasting instead. 

I decided to make a trurkey breast and roast vegetables in a foil pan using the same method used to cook a spatchcock Turkey.  I just had lump banked to the front and rotated the cook halfway through.  

This ended-up backfiring on me:  I started to run low on lump with the Turkey still at 155 F; I used the oven to finish the final 5 F for a 160 F finished temp.  The Joe dropped to 225 F from the original 325 F cooking temp.  

I could’ve added more lump to recover the temp back to 325 F to finish the cook on the Big Joe; it wasn’t worth it for 5 degrees.  The oven finished the turkey in 10 minutes.  

It was a mistake to run a half load of Maple lump and one halfmoon defector in the insanely bitter cold temps.  I would’ve been better off if I had used a 80% full Kick ash basket of lump with both deflectors in both sides versus trying to use a half load method in the bitter cold. 

It worked out the the result was great as you can see from the picks below.  For a laugh, I had to use my torch to close the lower vent because it froze open and I couldn’t close it without taking a torch to it for 20 seconds to thaw it. 

This is Alberta cold; not that Texas cold some American think is actually cold.  Thank god it wasn’t Winnipeg/Minneapolis cold.  Everyone has their limits.