John Setzler

Hard Boiled Eggs

I have been experimenting lately with different ways to cook hard boiled eggs.  I have been replacing some of the cheese in my diet with hard boiled eggs for several reasons but I'm looking for best practices.  I actually tried using sous vide to cook hard boiled eggs.  It works and gives me a very fine level of control but it's just a time consuming process and the results aren't better overall in my opinion.

The questions I have are....

1. I like to do a dozen eggs at a time.  Is it best to peel them right away or leave them in the shell until I am ready to eat the egg?

2. What's your best trick for peeling a hard boiled egg?

I crack the egg in multiple places. Peel under running cold water. I feel like it is a waste of water, but the best way. I try to move quickly. 

I have also found the prep of the eggs can change how easy they are to peel. For example:

1) add eggs to cold water. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes.  Cool eggs. 

Vs 

2) add eggs to boiling water. 10 minutes heat on, then 10 minutes heat off. Cool eggs. 

These two methods produce differences in the shell when peeling the eggs. It may have been other variables at play...non rigorous study. 

2 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

(1) add eggs to cold water. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes.  Cool eggs. 

This is how I boil them also. I find that the older the eggs are, the easier they peel. When I do dozens of deviled eggs for parties, I buy the eggs 1 > 2 weeks ahead of when I am going to boil them.

27 minutes ago, andyscalzo said:

This is how I boil them also. I find that the older the eggs are, the easier they peel. When I do dozens of deviled eggs for parties, I buy the eggs 1 > 2 weeks ahead of when I am going to boil them.

That could be the variable I haven't tested.

We steam our eggs and then quickly cool them in a ice bath. 10-20 min depending on how well done you want them.

Easy to peal and it doesn't take as long to get 1" of water going for the steam as it does to get a full pot of water boiling.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Only ONE way to hard boil an egg..it's in the oven at 325 for 25 minutes.

For some reason eggs these days are impossible to shell, running water, vinegar in the water, more or less boil time etc...

We can NOT get the dang shells off without ruining a few eggs in the process.

Heard about baking them in a muffin tin, one egg in each space, gave it a try and it works great.

Right out of the oven they go into a bowl of ice and water till cold and presto, the shells come right off with no ruined egg.

Stumbled on this older post. I discovered using an electric pressure cooker to make hard or soft boiled eggs.

Peeling the shell? For hard boiled, let the egg cool enough to handle it in your hands, however you do it, crack the entire shell, I do ends first, then the rest, gently roll the egg in your hands and the shell almost falls off, peel off shell, rinse. Done.

1 cu water in the pressure cooker, I do 4 eggs placed on the steaming rack, 5 Mins of pressure cooking, 5 mins natural pressure release, then quick release remaining pressure, I remove the inner pot, fill that with cool faucet water, take the eggs out and peel as described.

Soft boiled. Change time to 3 mins. Experiment a bit with your cooker to get the yolk the way you like it.

M.

My stovetop method: Cover eggs (I usually make 6 to 12 at a clip) with about 1 inch of water (with a teaspoon of vinegar to supposedly reduce chance of cracking) in a pot/sauce pan. Bring to rolling boil. Let boil for about 1 minute. Turn off heat, cover the pot, and let sit in the hot water for 11 minutes. After 11 minutes, put eggs in ice bath to stop cooking.

I've read that hard boiled "older" eggs are easier to peel than "newer" eggs. I don't know what the dividing line is between "older" and "too old"...

I use my home made nuclear reactor to hard boil my eggs.  It takes about .001 minutes.  Then when they are hot, I put them in liquid nitrogen.  The whole process takes about 6 seconds.  They fly out of the shell.  The only problem is that no one will eat them because they glow in the dark. 

We steam ours 10 minutes and then into a ice bath.  Take them out while still hot and lightly crack the perimeter to let a little cold water in and make them easy to peel.  Did some today for a potato salad to go with a challenge cook (that went poof) and some of the eggs unshelled in a spiral.