Pulled pork time...

Doing my first pork shoulder using Larry's "secret" rub. The family requested pulled pork for tomorrow. Started with a 10.5 lb pork shoulder and put it on at midnight so that it will be done by late morning/mid day....we'll see.

72c9d9f430034f96c891e9ef90d6a0d6.jpg

I finally got the Akorn dialed in at around 237 at the grate. Temp jumps around from 235-240 periodically and I'm assuming it's from the wind. It's a cool and breezy night.

I'd like to find a good sauce recipe that I can put together, because I'm not really a fan of store bought sauces. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a difficult time getting temp to regulate and settle in. Took a shower and temp at the grate bottomed out, so I cracked the damper and vent open a bit. Temp continued to fall, so I opened it a bit more, came in and it jumped up to almost 400 and I closed it off. Now trying to get it back down. Tried to burp it a few times but it just feeds the coals and they heat up again. I'm pissed that I left it too soon, thinking that it had settled in.

Now it's only been in there for about two hours, but I don't want to ruin this meat. *sighs*

This was the longest night, lol. Kept having weird temp fluctuations at the grate. Not sure why either. I did use a different "stack or fill" of my lump this time. I've wracked my brain trying to figure it out, but I'm too tired to care now lolol.

All in all, the meat was/is perfect and pulled so easily with forks. The bark with Larry's "not so secret" rub is fantastic too. In an hour we will sauce and eat, so in the interim I'll be taking a nap [emoji1]

a11214a7edd4cd6a418228649015e67b.jpg

50ead8cd20d6d4adc9d5b75627aed781.jpg

That's a BIG piece off Tupperware, so we go all the meat and it was apparent that all the connective tissues rendered and broke down during the cook.

Just a quick question and please don't take offense.

Were you trying to micromanage too much? I ask because of your statement about it "jumping" between 235-240. That's not jumping to me but rock solid. When we try to micromanage that, the many adjustments can create big jumps and falls.

If I stay within 30-40 degrees in either direction of my target temp, I am happy and let it go.

I now use the Tip Top Temp (found for $19.95) and a thermo with a remote alarm that I keep next to my bed for overnighters. Once dialed in, I never have to get up.

Just a quick question and please don't take offense.

Were you trying to micromanage too much? I ask because of your statement about it "jumping" between 235-240. That's not jumping to me but rock solid. When we try to micromanage that, the many adjustments can create big jumps and falls.

If I stay within 30-40 degrees in either direction of my target temp, I am happy and let it go.

I now use the Tip Top Temp (found for $19.95) and a thermo with a remote alarm that I keep next to my bed for overnighters. Once dialed in, I never have to get up.

I wondered this so many times last night, and I even decided "screw it" a couple times, I'm gonna let it go. It raged up to above 300 degrees but the second time it jumped back down and I didn't have to do a thing. It was things like this that had me scratching my head.

So, could it have been operator error? Yep....which is why I'm gonna clean it up and do another next week and see how it goes

I wondered this so many times last night, and I even decided "screw it" a couple times, I'm gonna let it go. It raged up to above 300 degrees but the second time it jumped back down and I didn't have to do a thing. It was things like this that had me scratching my head.

So, could it have been operator error? Yep....which is why I'm gonna clean it up and do another next week and see how it goes.

No offense taken, btw ;-) Thanks for the input, I like knowing when I'm screwing something up. I'd rather know now than repeat it lolol

That's the right attitude. :-) Get out there and do it again.

This type of cooking takes a while to master (I'm not even close).

Heat control is the biggest lesson. Small adjustments, then 15 minute wait before even considering another. I heat the grill up at least two hours before the meat goes on for long cooks to get temp dialed in.

With long cooks, how you start the charcoal is equally important. There is a sticky in a forum with a good method if you have not seen it.

It looks like it came out great though. :-)

That's the right attitude. :-) Get out there and do it again.

This type of cooking takes a while to master (I'm not even close).

Heat control is the biggest lesson. Small adjustments, then 15 minute wait before even considering another. I heat the grill up at least two hours before the meat goes on for long cooks to get temp dialed in.

With long cooks, how you start the charcoal is equally important. There is a sticky in a forum with a good method if you have not seen it.

It looks like it came out great though. :-)

Yep, I'll master it or die trying lolol. Interesting that you heat up so long before cooking, but that could be part of my problem too because I try to "dial it in" too quickly.

Thanks for the advice, because last night was rough. I'm exhausted, but it's okay because I'm on my third pulled pork sandwich right now. Don't judge me lolol

Man I totally feel your pain.  Last night was the first long cook I've done with my new Big Joe and it too is a pork butt.  Family in town today, so we're all anxious to dive into it and see what the final result is like.

I had an absolute hell of a time keeping my temperature where I wanted it.  I was trying to dial in for about 275*F but it rose up to about 300* once before I pulled it back down with a combination of closing off the vents and burping out the heat a few times.  It stayed around 273 - 277* for a solid three or four hours, then right before sunrise when the outside temperature snapped down into the high 30's, my grill temp started to go down as well and dipped below 250* for a moment.

I was able to adjust the vents sufficiently to bring it back up and rounded off the last 3 hours with an ambient grill temperature around 260* and an internal meat temperature of about 203* which should be perfect for rendering all of the collagen.

It's been in a cooler wrapped in a double layer of heavy foil, bundled inside of a heavy moving blanket, since around 10am.   We checked the temp of the butt a few minutes ago with a probe and it's still north of 140* internal so I'm very happy with the result.

Going to dig into it soon!

Man I totally feel your pain.  Last night was the first long cook I've done with my new Big Joe and it too is a pork butt.  Family in town today, so we're all anxious to dive into it and see what the final result is like.
I had an absolute hell of a time keeping my temperature where I wanted it.  I was trying to dial in for about 275*F but it rose up to about 300* once before I pulled it back down with a combination of closing off the vents and burping out the heat a few times.  It stayed around 273 - 277* for a solid three or four hours, then right before sunrise when the outside temperature snapped down into the high 30's, my grill temp started to go down as well and dipped below 250* for a moment.
I was able to adjust the vents sufficiently to bring it back up and rounded off the last 3 hours with an ambient grill temperature around 260* and an internal meat temperature of about 203* which should be perfect for rendering all of the collagen.
It's been in a cooler wrapped in a double layer of heavy foil, bundled inside of a heavy moving blanket, since around 10am.   We checked the temp of the butt a few minutes ago with a probe and it's still north of 140* internal so I'm very happy with the result.
Going to dig into it soon!

Oh yeah, this sounds familiar. Hope it turned out as good as mine did. It was worth the hassle. I added more lump this time and stacked it differently than I normally do. I wonder if I was choking off airflow. Not sure, but I'm going to do something next weekend. Maybe a brisket :-)