Attention Australians!

Attention potential pit boss owners! 

This issue happened to me....... On the 6th cook.

I didn't get the temp above 350F on any if the cooks and was really happy with my first kamado purchase.

I had the family over for dinner doing tandoori lamb and butterfly chicken low and slow. I managed to avoid my mums queries as to how much I paid ($999 Australian dollars at Costco) I checked the cook with 1 hour to go and tried to shut the lid but it was off centre with a 2cm gap open on the right side. Devastated! Taking the lid off and checking the hinge it seems on of the bolts had seized then bent the side arm on the hinge. I had cured appropriately and checked/tightened the whole unit after curing.

Luckily being a Costco purchase they were great about refunding me the purchase price and I was able to purchase a Kamado Joe Classic at Barbecues Galore (Australian stockist) The Manager said they just finished a sale of 20% off but gave it to me anyway at $1200 AUS (usually $1500) as well as accessories, charcoal, smoking wood and gloves etc at 20% off as well. Happy!

In retrospect I think the Pit Boss K24 could be a good unit in time but for the Australian customers of the Pit Boss it's not worth the slightly cheaper price for the lack of or expensive to ship deflector options. I was using a pizza stone with foil tray on the lower rack but it made adding more charcoal and smoking chips really cumbersome.

Now that I have performed a few cooks I knew a bit more about what to look for.

Reasons I think the Kamado Joe is heaps better  (even though the grill size is smaller).

1. Pit Boss deflector options on Australia are expensive/ Kamado Joe's Divide and conquer set up looks awesome as well as actually creating better convection through a smaller gap with the heat shield. The divide and conquer grates lift at half point rather than a small area on the PBK24. So many more options with the Kamado Joe on how to cook with the ability to purchase accessories like cast iron griddles etc.

2. I noticed with the Pit Boss (no mods) that with both the vents shut it took a long while to shut down the fire. Air was getting in and good charcoal KJ 10kg lump is $50 AUS a bag well I figure it makes a big $ difference over a long time.

3. PBK24 has only two lockable wheels and the Kamado Joe has 4

4. The hinge on the PBK24 is set over a small length with many moving parts Lifting it was as heavy as the Kamado Big Joe. The hinge on the Kamado Joe classic has less moving parts and just seems more sturdy.

5  The daisy wheel on the PB24 seemed a little sticky after a few cooks where as the Kamado Joe Classic seems better. Cast iron and able to open fully or only a tiny bit for low and slow.

6. I found cleaning the ash out of the PB24 annoying with the ash tool it was hard to sweep out all the ash. The Kamado Joe's have a metal ash box that can be easily disposed of.

Phew! I sound like a rep from Kamado Joe but after 2 years of wanting a Kamado and doing research of Australian products and options I'm glad I've purchased a Kamado Joe in the end. I wrote this post to share with my Aussie brothers and sisters to save possible heartache and research time for them. 

Peace, Love and Bad #### BBQ

Lee.

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2437.JPG

• 5 months later...

In my experience Pit Boss puts out a pretty good grill. Unfortunately "stuff happens" no real telling when or why. Most companies  with a warranty program act responsibly when it does. However a KJ is a an excellent choice, and there is probably a lesser chance that you will want to step up from that to another brand, as folks seem very happy with them and their customer service. However, even with a KJ "stuff still happens" just part of the deal. Happy Cooking. And by the way Bleating808, please stop by the introduction section and let folks know who you are. 

• 3 years later...

I was thinking of purchasing a Pit Boss from Aussie Costco as well (when they’re available).However, they’re about $1000. It does not come with a heat deflector. You would also have to buy the aftermarket divide and conquer system. In total, it would not cost much less than the KJ Classic, with a divide and conquer system included. Might keep an eye out for a KJ special. My Akorn still works. However, I’d like to add a ceramic grill to my collection. I’m hoping the SnS Kamado will be available in Australia one day. 

2 hours ago, Lensi said:

I was thinking of purchasing a Pit Boss from Aussie Costco as well (when they’re available).However, they’re about $1000. It does not come with a heat deflector. You would also have to buy the aftermarket divide and conquer system. In total, it would not cost much less than the KJ Classic, with a divide and conquer system included. Might keep an eye out for a KJ special. My Akorn still works. However, I’d like to add a ceramic grill to my collection. I’m hoping the SnS Kamado will be available in Australia one day. 

Umm, a KJ Classic is knocking on $3000 here 

A DnC set up from BBQG will set you back around $300

So you could have the Pit Boss with DnC for $1300 

You also have the option of the Char Griller Kamado from Bunnings (that does come with a heat deflector) for $650 or the Pro Smoke from BBQ for $850

Not saying you shouldnt go with a KJ, but if youre planning on using the "for only a little more i could get a KJ" justification to yourself (or your missus) I suggest you check your figures first 

I wouldn't hold your breath for a KJ Special anytime soon. BBQG cant fill the back orders they currently have, so there's no reason why they would put themselves in a position to encourage more orders they cant fill