Kamado Smoker Pot

Good Morning Everyone, I'm looking for some insight to a very intriguing idea that was posted on this board by CeramicChef (he has praised the originator of the idea thoroughly on other posts).  The "Smoker Pot" idea revolves around getting a small cast iron dutch oven (CC's post used a 2qt. Lodge DO) and drilling a couple or few holes in the bottom.  You place the DO on top of your hot lump as a cook begins, and BAM, instant (or nearly instant) thin blue smoke.

Here's the old thread for more in depth review: 

Now, my issue is that I have a Vision Classic B grill (18.5" cooktop), while most of these other grillers are using Big Joes or other XL grills.  It was mentioned in the thread that the 2qt DO may or may not fit in the Vision, due to not clearing under the heat diffuser.  Another idea was to go down to a 1qt DO, but some posters were hesitant on the idea.  I'm looking for some insight from anyone whether going smaller could work, or if they got this smoker pot idea to work on their Vision.

The smallest 1qt DO I could find is here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JEBCKA/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1&psc=1 (Measures just over 5" OD and 3.25" tall with lid).  For comparison, the 2 qt Lodge with lid is almost 5" tall and 8" across according to amazon.

Another wrench to throw into this, I'm looking to snag a Kick Ash Basket to replace the bottom grate in my Vision.  Not sure if the KAB will elevate the lump and this pot even closer to the diffuser.  Also, a pipe dream for now, is to purchase a Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig.  The Rig for the Vision has the spider welded on to the frame.  So, between the KAB and the spider dropping down into the fire bowl, I have no idea how much vertical clearance I'll have between the two.  I'm really shooting in the dark here for someone with these accessories or experience.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

12 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Yes to placing the pot directly on top of the lit lump. Key there is *lit*. If only a small spot is lit for a low n slow, you place it there. 

Others on other forums have reported good results with a 1 qt pot in smaller Kamados. If chunks won't fit, use chips or pellets. 

That's great news.  I had read about using pellets and I started thinking about the AmazeN tube smoker, but I don't think that will accomplish what we're trying to do here.

Not to be a newb, but any recommendations on pellets?

23 minutes ago, enormous13 said:

That's great news.  I had read about using pellets and I started thinking about the AmazeN tube smoker, but I don't think that will accomplish what we're trying to do here.

Not to be a newb, but any recommendations on pellets?

I'm not a big pellet user, so can't be of much help. I know some brands are much better than others, but don't know what they are. Someone else will weigh in shortly. 

1 hour ago, HalfSmoke said:

I'm not a big pellet user, so can't be of much help. I know some brands are much better than others, but don't know what they are. Someone else will weigh in shortly. 

No worries HalfSmoke, thank you for the help so far.

I haven't gone down the track of a smoker pot but back when I use to smoke in my gas BBQ (seems like so long ago) (thank goodness) I use to enjoy smoking with macadamia nut pellets. Not sure how easy they are to come bye in the US but definitely worth a crack if you can get some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Here's a thread that discusses different sources of pellets:

Thanks for digging that up for me.  I threw an order of some pellets in with the 1 qt. dutch oven, and they're on the way.  Can't wait to experiment with the setup.

4 hours ago, pesto3 said:

In fact, I may look into this smoker pot thing myself and try a mixture of pellets and chunks to see how it goes. I'm a few weeks away from delivery of my Big Joe.

Congrats on the new Big Joe Pesto!

Good Morning Everyone, I'm looking for some insight to a very intriguing idea that was posted on this board by CeramicChef (he has praised the originator of the idea thoroughly on other posts).  The "Smoker Pot" idea revolves around getting a small cast iron dutch oven (CC's post used a 2qt. Lodge DO) and drilling a couple or few holes in the bottom.  You place the DO on top of your hot lump as a cook begins, and BAM, instant (or nearly instant) thin blue smoke.
Here's the old thread for more in depth review: 
[/url] Now, my issue is that I have a Vision Classic B grill (18.5" cooktop), while most of these other grillers are using Big Joes or other XL grills.  It was mentioned in the thread that the 2qt DO may or may not fit in the Vision, due to not clearing under the heat diffuser.  Another idea was to go down to a 1qt DO, but some posters were hesitant on the idea.  I'm looking for some insight from anyone whether going smaller could work, or if they got this smoker pot idea to work on their Vision.
The smallest 1qt DO I could find is here: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JEBCKA/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1&psc=1 (Measures just over 5" OD and 3.25" tall with lid).  For comparison, the 2 qt Lodge with lid is almost 5" tall and 8" across according to amazon.
Another wrench to throw into this, I'm looking to snag a Kick Ash Basket to replace the bottom grate in my Vision.  Not sure if the KAB will elevate the lump and this pot even closer to the diffuser.  Also, a pipe dream for now, is to purchase a Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig.  The Rig for the Vision has the spider welded on to the frame.  So, between the KAB and the spider dropping down into the fire bowl, I have no idea how much vertical clearance I'll have between the two.  I'm really shooting in the dark here for someone with these accessories or experience.
Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!

Not sure if this helps you. I have a KJ classic & use a cast iron prawn cooker.

I was in position and on the hunt for a pellet smoker this year.  I have heard so many people on other BBQ forums say that a kamado doesn't hit the smoke profile of an offset.  I agree that a kamado will never be like that, but then I thought the pellet would be the perfect mix.  Long story short, I decided to try the smoking pot method one day.

I was blown away, I mean honestly blown away by the smoke profile.  The smell in the air was different and the food taste was outstanding.  I had the best smoke ring to date on my beef and it was a clean taste.  I have done it a few times since and have been met with equal results.

In cooks past, sticking wood on the charcoal you still get the white smoke.  I find now my kamado produces blue smoke just like those expensive offset cookers.  I am going to grab a second one for larger cooks on my 32kk.  I will have two going at once for the extra wood smoke.

Someone on the kk forum has used the dutch with a combo of wood chunk and pellet with great success.

8 minutes ago, bosco said:

I was in position and on the hunt for a pellet smoker this year.  I have heard so many people on other BBQ forums say that a kamado doesn't hit the smoke profile of an offset.  I agree that a kamado will never be like that, but then I thought the pellet would be the perfect mix.  Long story short, I decided to try the smoking pot method one day.

I was blown away, I mean honestly blown away by the smoke profile.  The smell in the air was different and the food taste was outstanding.  I had the best smoke ring to date on my beef and it was a clean taste.  I have done it a few times since and have been met with equal results.

In cooks past, sticking wood on the charcoal you still get the white smoke.  I find now my kamado produces blue smoke just like those expensive offset cookers.  I am going to grab a second one for larger cooks on my 32kk.  I will have two going at once for the extra wood smoke.

Someone on the kk forum has used the dutch with a combo of wood chunk and pellet with great success.

Bosco, this is great news.  Thanks for your input here.  I'm starting to get pretty excited about this little project lol

I'll post my results when the DO gets here, gotta love Amazon Prime.  Just so others with Vision B, KJ Classic, BGE Large, etc. can have an idea how/if this will work.  This smoke pot sounds like too good of an idea to pass up, wonder why nobody has taken the idea and commercialized it yet :idea:

because nobody likes drilling holes in good cast iron pots lol!

Make sure you keep with the 1/8 holes and group them close together in the center of the pot.  I did a triangle pattern maybe a 1/2" apart.  You want the smoke to be concentrated in one spot when it exits into the fire.

Bosco, that's true, but it's for the best haha.

I was going to do maximum 3 holes, but maybe with the 1 qt. size I'll do 1-2 holes centered since there's less material and space in the DO, thus less pressure to build.  Can always add another hole or two, can't take them away though.