On 2016-11-17 at 10:35 AM, andyscalzo said:

I'm 95% sure that won't be happen'en CA. There are some minor changes to the new bases and domes to accomodate the new hinge and band system. This is the first time since the development of the Classic, and later the BigJOE, that Kamado Joe of has done any design revision on the base and dome of their Kamados, at least that I am aware of.

I've been speaking with support about it.  I suggested Bobby should look at a 2nd revision of the counterbalanced that would improve upon the current design but with have some compromises to allow it to work with the older bases.  

A lot of would like to see KJ come-up with a 2nd solution for exiting KJ owners.  I had a good chat with support about alternatives. 

14 minutes ago, Charcoal Addict said:

I've been speaking with support about it.  I suggested Bobby should look at a 2nd revision of the counterbalanced that would improve upon the current design but with have some compromises to allow it to work with the older bases.  

A lot of would like to see KJ come-up with a 2nd solution for exiting KJ owners.  I had a good chat with support about alternatives. 

You are seeking a solution to a problem that is not widespread CA. Who did you talk to in support? He or she should have told you that the hinge issue is minimal. Also, who is "a lot" who would like to see KJ come-up with a 2nd solution for exiting KJ owners.? I have seen less than a handful posters posting about the issue on two forums. Who are all these owners you are communicating with about the problem?

9 minutes ago, andyscalzo said:

You are seeking a solution to a problem that is not widespread CA. Who did you talk to in support? He or she should have told you that the hinge issue is minimal. Also, who is "a lot" who would like to see KJ come-up with a 2nd solution for exiting KJ owners.? I have seen less than a handful posters posting about the issue on two forums. Who are all these owners you are communicating with about the problem?

Two of which involved injuries to the person(s) involved.  I'm looking at this from a long-term perspective.  I'm more concerned about the lack of redundancy in the current hinge design.

if one of he counterbalance rings crack or fail on the current hinge design the whole lid can come crashing down.  There's redundancy in the current design.  I'm more concerned about an issue with the hinge as the unit gets older.

Secondly KJ Gasket performance has been just awful.  I've had to replace the gaskets on the Red Big Joe 3 times in 4-years.  I was happy to see the new design finally address the issue.  I know we are going to disagree on this.  I'm extremely cautious with how I take care and maintian the Joe's.  It's had zero impact on Gasket longevity.  The KJ gaskets wear out and constitently fail every 13-16 months.

Third, in multiple posts KJ promised exiting owners they would be able to refofit the hinge to older models.  Obviously some design changes negated that possibility.  

It would be nice if KJ would keep their promise and would honor it by creating a revised version of the new hinge system.  I believe if you make a promise you should keep it.

(1) "Two of which involved injuries to the person(s) involved."....there are a lot of idiots out there using these things. Many accidents are operator error.

(2) "if one of he counterbalance rings crack or fail on the current hinge design the whole lid can come crashing down. "...If my uncle had tits, he'd be my aunt. We can sit here and play "if" all day long.

(3) "Secondly KJ Gasket performance has been just awful".... of my 5 KJ's I have replaced the gaskets at total of once, and that was on my original Classic that had over 900 cooks on it. Again, a lot is operator error. I will agree that some had hinge issues that caused it, but that was a small run of Kamados.

(4) "I believe if you make a promise you should keep it."...show me one post where KJ promised that....you can't, because I know Bobby Brennan well, and he is not foolish enough to promise anything about future development. His original intent was to have them retrofit, but sometimes sh*t happens, and you can't control everything.

I have come to learn one thing about you CA, you tend to exaggerate profusely. I just hope that sometime you don't go to light your KJ, and have the whole thing explode on you, like that damn handle did.

22 minutes ago, andyscalzo said:

N (1) "Two of which involved injuries to the person(s) involved."....there are a lot of idiots out there using these things. Many accidents are operator error.

(2) "if one of he counterbalance rings crack or fail on the current hinge design the whole lid can come crashing down. "...If my uncle had tits, he'd be my aunt. We can sit here and play "if" all day long.

(3) "Secondly KJ Gasket performance has been just awful".... of my 5 KJ's I have replaced the gaskets at total of once, and that was on my original Classic that had over 900 cooks on it. Again, a lot is operator error. I will agree that some had hinge issues that caused it, but that was a small run of Kamados.

(4) "I believe if you make a promise you should keep it."...show me one post where KJ promised that....you can't, because I know Bobby Brennan well, and he is not foolish enough to promise anything about future development. His original intent was to have them retrofit, but sometimes sh*t happens, and you can't control everything.

I have come to learn one thing about you CA, you tend to exaggerate profusely. I just hope that sometime you don't go to light your KJ, and have the whole thing explode on you, like that damn handle did.

I feel a little strung along on the hope the unti would retrofit.  I've Obviously that didn't happen.  You can't blame the customer for feeling a little disappointed the new hinge will not be able to retofit.  I'll get over it.

Hopefully your right and hopefully there are no more future failures of the existing hinge system. 

I invest a huge time amount of time taking care of and maintianing my Joe's.  I take very good care of my Joe's.  I follow KJ maintenance recommendations to the letter and take any advice from KJ support to maintian my units correctly. 

On side note:

I do my best to provide honest feedback.  I used respect you more Andy.  You've become a very meanspirtired and rude person who attacks anyone who has any negative feedback about KJ.

Your behavior is extremely unprofessional and uncalled for.  I love to offer some more choice words but I have too much respect for John to ever do that. 

John, please close this thread before this goes any further downhill.

I have to be honest CA, I find some of your posts to be really strange at best. You really do tend to miss represent issues at times. As far as for your feelings about me, I really couldn't care less.

It not my job as a KJ customer to drink the Koolaid.  It's my job to provide fair and honest feedback based on my user experience to help the company with future innovations.   

I will continue to do that regardless of how you choose to respond. 

Children, please stop.  Andy will be dealt with for bypasing the profanity filter after being previously warned not to do that.  I am not a babysitter.  Thise who must be babysat will simply be removed fromc this forum.