Boston Butt on the Vision

Magic Man

Last minute decision to do a butt today. Not massive but a quick 7 pounder for my mom. Still getting used to the grill and the different setups. The guru makes it very simple though. Here's a on the grill before pic. IMG_6348.JPG

Also here is how I set my lava stone. It came with my gas insert so untill I have a problem with it I'll continue to use it. If it breaks I'll upgrade with a cast iron unit I suppose. 

IMG_6347.JPG

ill check back for some updated pics as the day goes on. Good grilling everyone 

At 10+ hrs the good batteries the guru came with went dead so I made this little contraption. I don't like buying batteries so I had this guy ready to go but who's going to just let free batteries go to waist in a drawer. I do have to admit that the industrial energizer battery's lasted 18 hrs plus in the guru so kudos to them. Anyway if you haven't seen this on YouTube before I'd be happy to share the secret with everyone. 

IMG_6361.JPG

IMG_6362.JPG

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      I made the best pork belly ever with smoke flavour as well as 100% perfect crackling.
      Take your pork belly and do a lot more scoring on the skin and if you have one of those goodies with lots of spikes then spike the skin. Then ladle boiling water over the skin about 10-15 time to make sure the skin has boiled up a little. Pat dry and then place skin side down on a bed of salt, leave in fridge for 12-24 hours.
      After that just wipe the salt off the skin and add your favorite rub on the meat side.
      Cook indirect heat at 200-220°C until internal Temp is at 75°C perfection.
      Keep smoking 

• By LJS
      Hello Kamado Peeps,
      Has ana awesome weekend.
      My friend did a low and slow leg of lamb on the Webber kettle and left it in sauce with the aim of enhancing the gravy. It sure did and pulled apart beautifully on the rolls, he also did not use any wood just natural spices.    
      So I had to do a cook myself. Went to this new meat shop (meat emporium Sydney) and the selection and quality is really good. I walked out over budget and decided to do some pork ribs a monster pcs.
      Spice: Pepper, salt, garlic, mustard, onion, paprika, sugar and cayenne pepper  
      Wood: Cheery and 1pcs pecan
      3 2 1 method – full proof as always, some 5-6 hours later yummy
      Keep smoking ….

• By Tarnation
      Prepped this little half butt for a work Halloween potluck last night, cooking it tonight.  Just a little teaser before I tucked in and put it to bed.

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      I really got started with assembly about three weeks ago. 

• By Brickyoung
      Hey family,

I plan to smoke 7 pork butts on my Big Joe using my extender rack.  All the butts weigh between 7-8 pounds.  

Should I maintain the general rule of approx 1.5 -2 hours cook time at 225? With that, is it fair to say this cool will be approx 16 hours for all 7 butts? I just want to make sure the extra capacity doesn’t affect my cook time.

I’d appreciate advice based on prior experience from you folks. 

Thanks!