keeperovdeflame

Pizza Oven set up on my BGE

22 posts in this topic

Big  baseball game tonight, will be pivotal in how the Series comes out. Thought I would throw a couple pies to eat while watching the game. Came up with this set up using my CGS AR a while back, got a new pizza stone as well, so I am motivated to try them out. The idea is to provide equal heat from both the bottom and the top like a pizza oven does. The pies will go on the pizza stone which is just above the felt. There is a diffuser below the pizza stone that you can't really see. Three stones in total make up the set up.  The diffuser positioned above the pizza stone is intended to throw reflected heat directly onto the top of the pie. Took some homemade OO / bread flour combo home made dough out of the freezer and will throw some pies just before the game tonight. Should be interesting both on the field and on my EGG. Give us a watch if your interest is peaked. 

DSC_2990.JPG

DSC_2991.JPG

K-ville, TKOBBQ, ckreef and 3 others like this

11 minutes ago, rchang72 said:

Waiting to see how this goes. The lack of top heat is bugging me

Yeah, i hear you. That is exactly why I came up with this. I was looking a pies cooked on a Black Stone and I said to myself, why not try cooking a pizza between two stones. In a pizza oven, (see pic of my buddies built in oven below) fire is actually above the surface of the pie. 

IMG_0117.jpg

Marty and TKOBBQ like this

Have not done that myself but have heard of others doing it. It should work great and give a nice leopard print on the cheese.

Throw up some pics when they come out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rchang72 said:

Waiting to see how this goes. The lack of top heat is bugging me

I have done something similar in my Bigjoe with the extender rack. It worked great! 

Got caught up in the game last night and didn't post the end and result of this cook. As a side note, I watched the Cubs beat the Dodgers for the pennant and fell in love with them and their manager. Now I understand the phrase "Don't love em boy, they will break your heart". Maybe they will win tonight. Any way, continuing the cook. I made two pies. 

The first was fresh sliced pear, goat cheese, sliced red onion, and  drizzled spiced chili honey, with a sprinkling of Moz

DSC_2993.JPG

The second was what my wife and I call a "Naughty Margaria" . It's a traditional Margarita using heirloom tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh shredded basil, Moz and usually a top layer of pepperoni (last night I used proscuittio). 

DSC_2994.JPG

DSC_2995.JPG

Heres what a pie looks like on the three stone set up

DSC_2996.JPG

Marty and TKOBBQ like this

Here is a money shot of the Naughty Margarita. 

DSC_2997.JPG

IMO, the set up worked very well, reflecting plenty of heat back down on the pie. More heat than I get if i place the pie on the top stone, a position which was my go to set up, prior to this. I get more of a leopard print in the cheese and experienced much quicker cook times. Normally I can experience a cook time of 8 to 10 minutes. With the three stone set up, I found my pies cooked in 4 to 6 minutes. Very nice set up IMO and I will continue to use it. Thanks for following along. Go Cubbies

philpom, Marty and ATXguy like this

Using this as a teachable moment, you will notice that the bottom stone is not in the lowest position and resting on my spider down inside the fire ring. I place the bottom stone on support rods just below the felt and above the edge of the fire ring. This is due to my belief that a stone set low in diffusing the direct heat, throws excessive heat down into the fire box during a high heat cook like pizza. This excess heat can over heat your ceramic fire box and cause it to crack. However if you set the diffuser  stone  at the felt or main grate level you have, IMO, enough of a gap to allow all the heat from a high heat cook to escape around the edges of the stone. Using this train of thought, I also use only  a 13" stone when I set it low inside the fire ring because I like the bigger gap between the smaller stone and the inside edge of the fire ring, for the same reason. 

Garvinque likes this

Nicely done although I've never used a 3 stone setup myself. Question for ya. Do you rotate the pie midway through the cook or not? The finished product looks amazingly good.

1 hour ago, aljoseph said:

Nicely done although I've never used a 3 stone setup myself. Question for ya. Do you rotate the pie midway through the cook or not? The finished product looks amazingly good.

You know Al, it depends on the specific pie and the toppings. I Like a bit of leopard print on the cheese and some char on the crust.  I use parchment paper under my pies and cook at 650 degs..  With this set up I open the lid and pull the paper at 2 minutes. At that point I check the pie for color and rotate it if it seems to be getting color mainly  on one side.  Like most folks,  i get the most heat at the back of my Egg. 

aljoseph and sdv like this

You don't have to remove the parchment.  The crust still browns on the bottom with it there.

Thanks BSA, i will give that a try. I have just always pulled the paper because it would brown better without it. Next pizza I will leave it in. 

What's your doughcipe keeper? That NM pie looks like my kind of pizza. What size are the upper 2 stones?