Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • John Setzler

      Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

      The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

      Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

      The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

      You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

      You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

      Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
keeperovdeflame

Pizza Oven set up on my BGE

Recommended Posts

Al, I have used a number of dough recipes. The one I currently like is as follows.  I use King Arthur flours exclusively.

 

153 grams 00) flour ( 1 Cup plus 1 tablespoon)

153 grams AP flour (1 Cup plus I tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)

8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)

2 grams active dry yeast ( 3/4 teaspoon)

4 grams extra virgin olive oil ( 1 teaspoon)

 

1. in a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt. ( if you don't have 00 you can use  King Arthur Bread flour as a substitute). 

2. In a small bowl stir together 200 grams of lukewarm tap water (a little less then 1 cup), with the yeast and the olive oil then pour it into the flour mixture knead with your hands or a mixer until well combined. At this point let the dough rest for 15 minutes. 

3. Knead the rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. place on a floured surface and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temp under a damp dish towel or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.  (if you refrigerate the dough remove it 45 minutes to an hour before you begin to shape it for pizza).  When I put dough in the fridge I use those cheap zip lock throw away plastic leftover boxes with a blue lid. They look like a 9 x 13 baking dish. They make an excellent proof box.  Rub the inside of the box with a little oil and drop a dough ball in and close the lid) Place the box or boxes in the fridge. 

4. On a floured surface with additional bench flour sprinkled on the dough ball, roll out each ball or shape it with your fingers into a 12" inch pie. This recipe will yield two  12" pies.

This recipe works well at 550 or 650, I use both temps and get great results. Ps. I like to build my pies on parchment paper to ease the transfer to the peal and the stone. I leave the paper under the pie while cooking for 4 minutes. My cooking time is usually between 6 and 8 minutes but time will vary with your set up and temp . 

 

The upper two stones are 14" BGE stones, I use a 13" stone  as a deflector below that to allow maximum heat to escape the fire box. 

 

Happy Pizza Night my friend. The Naughty Margherita is a wonderful pie. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2017 at 3:55 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

Al, I have used a number of dough recipes. The one I currently like is as follows.  I use King Arthur flours exclusively.

 

153 grams 00) flour ( 1 Cup plus 1 tablespoon)

153 grams AP flour (1 Cup plus I tablespoon and 2 teaspoons)

8 grams fine sea salt (1 teaspoon)

2 grams active dry yeast ( 3/4 teaspoon)

4 grams extra virgin olive oil ( 1 teaspoon)

 

1. in a large mixing bowl, combine flours and salt. ( if you don't have 00 you can use  King Arthur Bread flour as a substitute). 

2. In a small bowl stir together 200 grams of lukewarm tap water (a little less then 1 cup), with the yeast and the olive oil then pour it into the flour mixture knead with your hands or a mixer until well combined. At this point let the dough rest for 15 minutes. 

3. Knead the rested dough for 3 minutes. Cut into 2 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. place on a floured surface and let rest and rise for 3 to 4 hours at room temp under a damp dish towel or for 8 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.  (if you refrigerate the dough remove it 45 minutes to an hour before you begin to shape it for pizza).  When I put dough in the fridge I use those cheap throw away zip lock plastic leftover boxes with a blue lid. They look like a 9 x 13 baking dish. They make an excellent proof box.  Rub the inside of the box with a little oil and drop a dough ball in and close the lid) Place the box or boxes in the fridge. 

4. On a floured surface with additional bench flour sprinkled on the dough ball, roll out each ball or shape it with your fingers into a 12" inch pie. This recipe will yield two  12" pies.

This recipe works well at 550 or 650, I use both temps and get great results. Ps. I like to build my pies on parchment paper to ease the transfer to the peal and the stone. I leave the paper under the pie while cooking for 4 minutes. My cooking time is usually between 6 and 8 minutes but time will vary with your set up and temp . 

 

The upper two stones are 14" BGE stones, I use a 13" stone  as a deflector below that to allow maximum heat to escape the fire box. 

 

Happy Pizza Night my friend. The Naughty Margherita is a wonderful pie. 

 

 

I appreciate translating grams into cups, TBSP, etc. I have little patience for exact measurements in recipes. I'm more a dash of this or a splash of that kind of guy. Probably explains why I don't bake very often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you Cgriller, and actually, I am of the same ilk. It is just recently that I bought a scale and started using it to make my pizza dough. I am finding that using specific measurements of flour, water, yeast, etc. really makes me more consistent in my dough making. Honestly, pizza dough is the only thing I use a scale for. On pretty much everything else, I use measurements as a suggestion and commonly guess, or outright, purposely alter the amounts because I think I will like the result better that way. Baking is kind a different animal and requires some adherence to exact measurements, IMO, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of throwing food stuff together versus exacting measurements, for me it goes like this. Some of us are gifted in that we can literally throw things together and get a great result. Others of us (me) can throw things together and the result is .  .  .  . let's not go there. In order for us (me) to approximate what you do naturally, I have to follow a specific regimen. Specificity, that's what it is. I envy the naturally able cook but realize that I will never be that guy. I'm more of a show me kind of guy. Guide me accordingly so that I can shine.

 

Pizza is one of my most favorite foods. Keeper, you're the best. Cook on buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If... you've preheated your ceramics enough before putting your pizza on your pizza stone you will have all the radiant heat you need. I'm not sure the third stone will add much but I guess it worth a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Breadhead said:

If... you've preheated your ceramics enough before putting your pizza on your pizza stone you will have all the radiant heat you need. I'm not sure the third stone will add much but I guess it worth a try. 

It actually works quite well. I use an AR with an extender so my pizza stone is close to the dome so I do get nice reflected heat. However with the vent in the middle of the dome you don't get as much reflected heat on to the top of the pie as you do with the three stone method. The space between the stones is about 3" and when fully heated to about 600 deg it gives me a nicer leopard print on the cheese and crisps pepperoni very nicely. With heat directly above and no vent my results come closer to how a pizza from a wood fired oven looks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Breadhead said:

If... you've preheated your ceramics enough before putting your pizza on your pizza stone you will have all the radiant heat you need. I'm not sure the third stone will add much but I guess it worth a try. 

 

I have done two vs three stones, the three stones cook more evenly, even after preheating for 60 min @ 750F. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2017 at 3:21 PM, Mewantkj said:

 

I have done two vs three stones, the three stones cook more evenly, even after preheating for 60 min @ 750F. 

 

I am going to try three stones then. I'm always open to new ideas. Do you have a picture of your setup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Breadhead said:

 

I am going to try three stones then. I'm always open to new ideas. Do you have a picture of your setup? 

I posted a picture last summer? Or the summer before that. 

 

Place the cooking grates at the felt line with the heat deflector on top. Then an airgap and your pizza stone. The grill extender fits over both stones, but it was tight.  Ontop of the grill extender sits a third stone.  You will only have a couple inches of clearance and it was tough to launch.  Best pies to date. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

I posted a picture last summer? Or the summer before that. 

 

Place the cooking grates at the felt line with the heat deflector on top. Then an airgap and your pizza stone. The grill extender fits over both stones, but it was tight.  Ontop of the grill extender sits a third stone.  You will only have a couple inches of clearance and it was tough to launch.  Best pies to date. 

 

I'll give a go... after I buy another pizza stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2017 at 9:37 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

I hear you Cgriller, and actually, I am of the same ilk. It is just recently that I bought a scale and started using it to make my pizza dough. I am finding that using specific measurements of flour, water, yeast, etc. really makes me more consistent in my dough making. Honestly, pizza dough is the only thing I use a scale for. On pretty much everything else, I use measurements as a suggestion and commonly guess, or outright, purposely alter the amounts because I think I will like the result better that way. Baking is kind a different animal and requires some adherence to exact measurements, IMO, anyway.

 

@Cgriller64 and @keeperovdeflame I too am a throw things together kind of cook. A lot of times I won't do exact measurements. I even have some recipes that are only ingredient list with no measurements. Allows you to alter it each time you make it to tailor it to what taste you want that night. 

 

The main exception to this is baking. With baking ingredients altering an amount changes how things rise, the texture, the moisture etc.... Unless you are a really good Baker the only real way to get repeatable results is to measure dry ingredients by weight. This is especially true when passing a recipe onto someone else. The way you measure out a cup of flour could give you a different amount compared to how someone else measures a cup of flour. Small ingredients like 1 tsp of salt isn't so critical. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a digital scale years ago to help me learn to make bread. Once you learn the bakers percentage system everything falls into place and everything makes perfect sense. 

 

The bakers percentage was started to make repeating bread recipes exact and repeatable. It is now being used in professional kitchens for the same reason... to be able to make the same exact recipe time after time by everyone in the kitchen. 

 

The best cookbook ever written the "Modernist Cuisine" was written using the bakers percentage for every recipe in the 6 book collection. He said he did that to make his recipes easy to duplicate. 

 

I use my digital scale to make my rubs so I know I'm getting exactly the same Rub every time I mix it together. I weigh my coffee beans in the morning so I get the same cup of coffee every morning. 

 

Knowing the bakers percentage just makes life easier...

 

The bakers percentage... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

I posted a picture last summer? Or the summer before that. 

 

Place the cooking grates at the felt line with the heat deflector on top. Then an airgap and your pizza stone. The grill extender fits over both stones, but it was tight.  Ontop of the grill extender sits a third stone.  You will only have a couple inches of clearance and it was tough to launch.  Best pies to date. 

 

I think I'm going to order this pizza stone setup. I'll use my heat deflector and then elevate this double stone up in the dome to about the same height of my thermometer that's mounted in my dome. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Perfect-Pizza-Grilling-Stone/dp/B00DIC2SA2/ref=as_sl_pc_qf_sp_asin_til?tag=kamgur07-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=071440deda241741a1fa1c3a579eab37&creativeASIN=B00DIC2SA2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×