andyscalzo

8# Boneless Prime on the JoeTisserie......

1 hour ago, andyscalzo said:

Forget about the Prime Grade, you don't need Prime Grade to get a good Prime Rib Roast, as Select Prime Ribs are always well marbled. The chunk of meat in the photo is a Boneless Prime Rib, aka Boneless Prime Rib Roast. If I took that chunk of meat and started slicing it into 1" steaks, I would have a bunch of Rib Eye Steaks. Rib Eye Steaks are cut from the Prime Rib Roast. You can also buy that same cut of meat with the bones on, which would be called a Standing Rib Roast. You can also cut that roast into steaks and you would have a bunch of Bone-in Rib Eye Steaks. Hope that helps, that's the best I got.

As for the last part, sorry about the confusion. I did mean to say 100*F then sear it to 120 > 125*F. I hate posting from my phone. That roast took about an hour and a half or so. I don't pay a lot of attention to time, I am more about the Internal Temperature. You are correct, different areas have different names for the same cuts of meat. Just ask the butcher for a Boneless Prime Rib and they will know what you want. Boneless Prime Rib Roasts are much easier to deal with vs. the Bone-in for the first couple times. I figure 1# per person. You will get shrinkage due to the high fat content, plus leftovers make for kick-@ss Prime Rib Sandwiches served on Hoagies or French Bread and dipped in aus jus. Sometimes those are even better than the main entrée!

That helps a million, great explanation. Thanks. I'll be sure to snap some pics and get it on here.

2 hours ago, irish02bk said:

That helps a million, great explanation. Thanks. I'll be sure to snap some pics and get it on here.

It's a great cook, you'll enjoy it. I did miss post again though, get Choice Grade, NOT Select Grade....DOH!!!

Forget about the Prime Grade, you don't need Prime Grade to get a good Prime Rib Roast, as Choice Prime Ribs are always well marbled. The chunk of meat in the photo is a Boneless Prime Rib, aka Boneless Prime Rib Roast. If I took that chunk of meat and started slicing it into 1" steaks, I would have a bunch of Rib Eye Steaks. Rib Eye Steaks are cut from the Prime Rib Roast. You can also buy that same cut of meat with the bones on, which would be called a Standing Rib Roast. You can also cut that roast into steaks and you would have a bunch of Bone-in Rib Eye Steaks. Hope that helps, that's the best I got.
As for the last part, sorry about the confusion. I did mean to say 100*F then sear it to 120 > 125*F. I hate posting from my phone. That roast took about an hour and a half or so. I don't pay a lot of attention to time, I am more about the Internal Temperature. You are correct, different areas have different names for the same cuts of meat. Just ask the butcher for a Boneless Prime Rib and they will know what you want. Boneless Prime Rib Roasts are much easier to deal with vs. the Bone-in for the first couple times. I figure 1# per person. You will get shrinkage due to the high fat content, plus leftovers make for kick-@ss Prime Rib Sandwiches served on Hoagies or French Bread and dipped in aus jus. Sometimes those are even better than the main entrée!

How do you monitor temp while it's spinning? Do you just stop it and use a Therma pen or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, rickcharles606 said:

How do you monitor temp while it's spinning? Do you just stop it and use a Therma pen or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YUP! I have spun enough of them, that I know when it is close to my target IT just by looking at it.