Sign in to follow this  
DerHusker

Honey Sriracha Glazed Tofu Planwich w/ Apple Slaw and Corn with Sriracha Mayo

So what did I think of when John gave us the 4 random numbers that included Tofu? Well my first thought was “can we get some new numbers”! I then thought about it some more and came to the conclusion that these ingredients were truly an example of a “Chopped” basket. I must admit I’ve never made it and hardly ever eat it. That may change after eating this dish.

I started thinking about what I could make and came up with some ways I could use all these ingredients in in a dish. Sriracha was easy as I use it quite often. Corn? No problem here either. Apples gave me a slight pause but then I thought of using it in a slaw so I was good.

No, tofu was the problem, so I thought about tofu and what it’s like. It’s like a geometrically shaped meat substitute. Kind of like Spam but without any actual meat. So how do I normally use Spam? Well I don’t use it very often but when I do it’s normally in a sandwich. A tofu sandwich didn’t sound like a winner, but then I remembered seeing something on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives where the cook used plantains as the bread which I’m dubbing the “Planwich”.

Plantains instead of bread. Link: http://www.foodnetwork.com/restaurants/il/chicago/the-jibarito-stop-restaurant.html

Now that was the ticket and I also decided to use Sriracha in all 3 dishes. The first thing I did was prepare the tofu.

30574773992_4be84f1808_z.jpg

Now I don’t know much about tofu but I do know that you need to get the moisture out of it so it can soak up whatever seasoning / marinate your using on it. I drained the liquid off and then sliced it up.

30691590085_eacbb153b4_z.jpg

Next I placed the slices on a double layer of paper towels

30057661123_c4000fcd19_z.jpg

and covered with another layer.

30057662983_9f13f29986_z.jpg

I then place a 9 x 13 pan on top and pressed down to push more of the liquid out. (Note: I did this twice as the paper towels were completely soaked the first time)

30654871856_928c2bdfc1_z.jpg

Next I made up a Sriracha Honey Marinade. Here are the ingredients.

30603530111_43ff01f427_z.jpg

30654888436_3e462d16e7_z.jpg

Stirred.

30654893756_08996009c8_z.jpg

I spread out some marinade on a 1/4 sheet, placed on the tofu and then covered each piece with the rest of the marinade.

30574809962_474fd8b3e8_z.jpg

I covered this with foil and let it take a nice long rest. Next I went about making the bread for my Planwich. I took a plantain

30574814222_fc629f602a_z.jpg

and cut the ends off and peeled it.

30691631255_80ea8d2405_z.jpg

I cut it in 2 and fried them in some preheated oil.

30691636435_4e7076705d_z.jpg

I placed them on a plate with some paper towels to cool. I then took them and smashed them with a large smooth bottom pan.

30691643635_a4544b4f02_z.jpg

and then fried each one again. (Like a tostones)

30603510621_dfe95b069a_z.jpg

I then placed each one on a plate with some paper towels to cool.

30603513771_8423ca0289_z.jpg

I then made up my Mexican Slaw using the apple in lieu of the jicama. (Link to recipe: https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/18547-mexican-style-slaw-with-cilantro-lime-creama/)

30691699935_44c1ed10e9_z.jpg

Apple cut and cored

30691704145_319706354c_z.jpg

and then grated.

30691705745_60c3a19499_z.jpg

Everybody in the pool

30574949222_cae0b9f87d_z.jpg

and then stirred up with some Sriracha Cilantro Lime Creama.

30574953982_4230d301ce_z.jpg

Now I took the tofu out to the grill.

30575051932_d0c38917e9_z.jpg

I placed them on my searing grate. (Note: I would have set it up differently but I was going to make pizza afterwards so that was why it’s set up this way. As it turned out, I didn’t have time for the pizza.)

30575058412_c64df61c54_z.jpg

After approximately 10 minutes it looked like this.

30575063722_8a797a71d0_z.jpg

I look them off the grilled and on to a plate so I could now glaze them.

30575068632_e497aa3ec0_z.jpg

I took what was left of the marinade and added some more honey, Sriracha and ponzu sauce and pour it onto a hot griddle and let it start to caramelize.

30691824445_683d9226c4_z.jpg

Placed all the tofu pieces in the sauce and let it cook for 1 minute.

30391957100_0cd277ff8b_z.jpg

I flipped them and repeated for another minute and here is what they looked like.

30603692131_5f4fa0c9d0_z.jpg

I sliced up some tomato and red onion

30656795826_0572212351_z.jpg

and made up some Sriracha mayo.

30603625411_5d4bbfbd52_z.jpg

I took one of the plantain slices and spread on the mayo

30603696131_456dd85c94_z.jpg

and placed on the tofu

30603700531_ce84d1467f_z.jpg

and then the tomato, onion and some lettuce.

And finally I made up the Mexican Street Corn (Esquites) with Sriracha Mayo

Here’s my corn.

30603625501_01641c94d8_z.jpg

I took 3 ears like this and cut off the kernels.

30691759415_304d361e0a_z.jpg

I added 3 tbsp. of butter and 1/2 cup of finely chopped cilantro and stirred.

30691759055_1660a74db1_z.jpg

As my 90 year old MIL was also eating this I took my serving and mixed in the balance of the Sriracha mayo that I had made up. (No Sriracha for her)

Here is everything plated up with a Negro Modelo.

30061888454_181c97dfb0_b.jpg

30059758663_f6a881ce0a_b.jpg

30693659995_33d51fe374_b.jpg

30576865682_b2bdb0a8c7_b.jpg

30656939846_a96f15baa2_b.jpg

This did not suck! In fact it was absolutely delicious and I would definitely make this again.

Thanks for looking.

10 hours ago, shuley said:

I like that you put that it did not suck lol. It looks like a tasty meal though.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thank you shuley. It was very tasty.

4 hours ago, Smoke and Awe said:

That is one doozy of a dinner!!  Wonderful use of basket ingredients; wishing I was a judge.  Thanks for all the inspiration.

Thank you Jerri.

10 hours ago, ckreef said:

I think you deserve an award just for saying it didn't suck - LOL . 

Great entry. 

Thank you ck.

Given tofu's reputation, I thought it was an appropriate compliment. :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      I been wanting to do this for a long time but didn’t have a proper equipment or the correct weather conditions. I recently bought an A-MAZE-N smoking tube.

It was expected to get down to 41 degrees (fairly cool nights for Southern California) and it was only 67 during the day so I decided to give this a try. Around 4:00 PM I started by cooling the kamado down by placing 5 pieces of Blue Ice in it.

Around 8:30 it reached 50 degrees outside, so I started up the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in my gasser so as not to heat up the kamado.

Once it ignited, I let it burn for a few minutes

before blowing out the flame.

I let it smoke while I went in and prepared the cheese. I had purchased 2 lbs. of Gouda, Colby Jack and Sharp Cheddar at Costco.

I took them out of their wrappers.

I cut them up into smaller sizes so they could absorb more smoke and placed them on a wire rack.

I then placed the A-MAZE-N smoking tube in the bottom of my kamado. I next put in both of my ceramic heat deflectors, then the grill grates and then the rack of cheese. (You can see some of the smoke coming up around the deflectors)

I closed the lid and observed a small amount of smoke coming out the top vent.

An hour later it looked like this.

After two hours in the smoke I opened the lid. WOW!

I brought the rack in the house where I could see a subtle change in the cheese color.

I vacuum packed them all and placed them in the fridge to age and mellow for 3 weeks.

This morning I when out to see how much of the pellets were left in the A-MAZE-N smoking tube. It looks like approximately 1/3 was left unburnt. I’m thinking it could’ve gone at least another hour.

I can’t wait to try them but will wait to let time do its thing on them first.

Thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      On New Year’s Eve we had our friends over for dinner.  They were getting up early to go to the Rose Parade so the evening ended early but we still had a great time.

I made 2 pizzas. The first was a Hawaiian Pizza with red onion, black olives, Canadian bacon and pineapple.

The second was a Meat Lover’s Pizza with red onion, black olives, peperoni and Italian sausage.

Both were delicious but I have to say the Meat Lovers was my favorite.

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years, know this is the time of year that I go full Griswold. Here’s a pic of my house from a few years ago.

It gets a little bigger every year. This year I rented a boom to put lights up in our 50’ tall Italian Cypress you can see to the left of our garage. (Sorry no photo of it this year)

Anyway, as is our family’s tradition, we host everyone on Christmas Eve for dinner and presents. In attendance were my two brothers that live here in California. They came down from the L.A. area along with my niece, my nephew and his fiancé. (in addition to my wife and I) We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Ham, then Turkey, then a nice Ribeye Roast. We hadn’t had Ham since 2016 so we settled on that.

We were quite busy making all the dinner and fixing’s, so I didn’t have a lot of time to take a whole lot of photos but here are the few that I did get. Here’s the ham on the kamado for the first few hours at 275.

Here’s a pic of the stove with the beans, carrots, potatoes and gravy on top. (Green Bean Casserole and biscuits in the oven)

Here’s the ham after the 2 hours in foil with the pineapple and cherries added for another 10 minutes at 425.

Here’s the ham on the table waiting for the rest of the fixings to join it. (It’s funny but I didn’t realize that this is almost the exact same photo from 2016)

Here’s everyone waiting to dig in.

Here the one photo I got of the food and table. (As you can see we broke out our finest plastic cups for this dinner )

Here’s what everyone looked like when I asked if they could wait for me to take more / better photos of the food.

Everything was delicious and we had a great time that evening.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      A certain knife dealer site had so good of prices on some nice knives in BD1N stainless that I couldn’t help myself. (It’s a sickness I tell ya!) Anyway, here’s some pics of my new tools.

9” hollow edge craving knife and fork set.

6” curved boning knife.

I had a Big Poppa gift certificate I’d won in a throwdown that was burning a hole in my pocket so, I placed a couple of items I didn’t already have in my cart.

Also added 2 rubs on sale that I thought I’d use a lot.

I already used the carving knife for Christmas Eve dinner with my family and hope to use the other items real soon.

Thanks for looking.

• By DerHusker
      We spent Thanksgiving with good friends and neighbors and their family. We were tasked with providing the dressing and a pecan pie. The pie we bought from Costco but for the dressing I made my favorite Cranberry, Apple and Walnut dressing.
      (Recipe can be found here:
      Here are most of the ingredients.

Melted the butter and sautéed the onions and celery.

Combined the cranberries, apple and walnuts.

After the butter, onions, celery, apple cider and chicken stock had simmered 10 minutes I stirred it into the dry dressing and spread it out into the baking/serving dish.

I covered this with AF and cooked it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees and then uncovered it. I cooked for another 25 minutes at 350 and this is the results.

Here are some pics of the rest of the dinner entrée’s that we enjoyed.
      Mashed potatoes.

Miscellaneous sides.

White meat plate.

Dark meat plate.

My plate.

We had a great time of food and fellowship. Hope you all had a great day as well.
      Thanks for looking.