Pequod

Vacuum Sealer Recommendation

How do you folks handle moisture in the food? I find that if there's even the slightest bit of moisture, like from a steak, it gets sucked up to sealing edge and the bag won't seal. The unit works great with dry food, but that's rarely what I want to seal.
I've tried really long bags, which seems like a waste. I've also tried folding a piece of paper towel across the bag, but I don't like the idea of paper freezing or cooking sous vide with my food. 
Your thoughts and suggestions...
Thx

Mine has a setting for wet or dry. My understanding is the wet setting does a longer seal operation to make up for the wetness and I usually get a good seal. That said usually when I see that it's sucking liquid out of the bag I usually hit the seal button to seal right away to keep it from removing all the liquid.

Your model may be different though.

Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, K-ville said:

How do you folks handle moisture in the food? I find that if there's even the slightest bit of moisture, like from a steak, it gets sucked up to sealing edge and the bag won't seal. The unit works great with dry food, but that's rarely what I want to seal.

I've tried really long bags, which seems like a waste. I've also tried folding a piece of paper towel across the bag, but I don't like the idea of paper freezing or cooking sous vide with my food. 

Thx

I use the vac and seal setting. When the liquid gets close to the top I push the seal button. It is not perfect, but works for SV. 

I have seen bag sealed, frozen, then vac and seal. 

16 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

I use the vac and seal setting. When the liquid gets close to the top I push the seal button. It is not perfect, but works for SV. 

I have seen bag sealed, frozen, then vac and seal. 

Yep ^^^^^^^

danielc, Mewantkj, and Cgriller64, good suggestions. Thanks. I hadn't thought of stopping the vacuum process early and just sealing before the moisture gets too far.

I have the Foodsaver 2480 and have had it for years.  Just replaced the gaskets for about $10.  Love that it holds the rolls.  I keep an 8" roll in it as I use it 90% of the time.  I have an 11" roll in the drawer.  If I seal something that is really wet, once I seal it, I use a paper towel to dry outside the seal and then just seal it again.   This way if the first seal leaks, the bag stays air tight.  I used the generic bags off Amazon, but have found the official Foodsaver are better.  A little thicker and the ridge side seems taller and the vacuum seems tighter.

On 11/6/2016 at 8:19 AM, K-ville said:

Thx

I vacuum pack almost all surplus food. With moist meat/items  I place in the bag and toss in freezer long enough to flash freeze the juices (not solid freeze). I even freeze soup...put in bag, freeze solid, seal afterwards.

I do use the pulse switch as well. This allows you to vacate air, back off, and toggle on and off and seal when needed.

I have a 5 year old Costco Food Saver that I use at least 4-5 times a week and typically sealing 3-5 bags at a session. I won't have any complaints when it finally gives out.

A good trick is the flash freezing method already described for moisture in meats.  Another if you don't freeze is to take a piece of folded up paper towel the width of the bag, lay if flat in front of the meat, then seal the bag.  paper towel will grab most of moisture before it hits sealing wire.  Works real well if your meat is not full of water.  I use it for fish too.  Use white paper towels without printed dyes on them.  

1 hour ago, keastman said:

A good trick is the flash freezing method already described for moisture in meats.  Another if you don't freeze is to take a piece of folded up paper towel the width of the bag, lay if flat in front of the meat, then seal the bag.  paper towel will grab most of moisture before it hits sealing wire.  Works real well if your meat is not full of water.  I use it for fish too.  Use white paper towels without printed dyes on them.  

That's the procedure I use when sealing meat with some blood still in it, as stated it works great.

IMG_3702.JPG

I was going through the freezer and found an example of the paper towel method. I had some leftover teriyaki tri tip which had a lot of liquid. I used the paper towel to catch the liquid so it didn't interfere with the seal. Works quite well. Since I bothered to pull it out of the freezer, it looks like Tri tip sammies for lunch tomorrow. :good:

Hey guys I do not own nor have I used a food saver, hey wait don't hang up I have an idea.  Just thinking this through about the moisture from meat causing the no good seal issue.  Why not just loose wrap the meat with some plastic wrap and puncture the wrap with a fork to allow the vac process to work.  This should resolve the issue of moisture keeping the seal from being good.  JMO 

Cheers,

OpenRange

1 hour ago, OpenRange said:

Hey guys I do not own nor have I used a food saver, hey wait don't hang up I have an idea.  Just thinking this through about the moisture from meat causing the no good seal issue.  Why not just loose wrap the meat with some plastic wrap and puncture the wrap with a fork to allow the process to work.  This should resolve the issue of moisture keeping the seal from being good.  JMO 

Cheers,

OpenRange

Good idea but... The vacuum will pull the juices right through the plastic wrap. 

6 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

The vacuum will pull the juices right through the plastic wrap. 

Wow, right to the heart.  You could have made me feel better by starting with something like "good idea, BUT".  I guess my never having used a food saver showed. :roll:

Cheers,

OpenRange

52 minutes ago, OpenRange said:

Wow, right to the heart.  You could have made me feel better by starting with something like "good idea, BUT".  I guess my never having used a food saver showed. :roll:

Cheers,

OpenRange

Ok.  Great idea, I edited my post.