Pequod

Vacuum Sealer Recommendation

3 hours ago, Mewantkj said:

Ok.  Great idea, I edited my post.  

Thanks I feel much better now and part of the group. :). Only kidding "I was just bustin your balls" a quote from the movie Good Fellas.  Oops hope that language doesn't get me tossed out?  

Cheers,

OR

On 11/2/2016 at 7:03 AM, HalfSmoke said:

My old VacMaster is dying. Looking to replace quickly since I'm about to smoke about 6 lbs of cured bacon. Of those available on Amazon (need it in 2 days), what do you recommend?

Just out of curiosity. What is failing on your VacMaster?

Mine is starting to show a E02 indicating that the lid is not down. To get it to work--I have to push down over the metal pin. I thought that problem was solved when they went to a metal pin. It seems that pushing down on the handle raises the back area over the pin just enough.

2 hours ago, Marty said:

Just out of curiosity. What is failing on your VacMaster?

Mine is starting to show a E02 indicating that the lid is not down. To get it to work--I have to push down over the metal pin. I thought that problem was solved when they went to a metal pin. It seems that pushing down on the handle raises the back area over the pin just enough.

It lost its suck. Basically, would only remove some of the air and then just sit there. Never transitioned into sealing, and if I manually sealed it was little better than a zip-loc bag. Tried swapping out the foam seal and other bits. Nothing worked.

31 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

It lost its suck. Basically, would only remove some of the air and then just sit there. Never transitioned into sealing, and if I manually sealed it was little better than a zip-loc bag. Tried swapping out the foam seal and other bits. Nothing worked.

WOW. Going by what I have encountered so far I am concerned about mine also. I thought the same thing buy at a higher quality level and not worry.

@HalfSmoke -  ..I do not have that machine but after doing trouble shooting on some Food Savers here are some ideas.  I would open it up and looked for any cracked vacuum tubing especially where it is pushed on a fitting.  If at some point it had liquid enter it might also have a partial clog that has built up  over time - that could cause also cause improper vacuum levels and further then at the vacuum sensor there would not be sufficient vacuum sensed that shifts the machine into the seal step.  Some higher end units have a filter in the vacuum line. 

Have you checked that the valve on the external hose port is sealing? -  often times it looks like a ball bearing that is spring loaded.  I have seen those get goofy.  Easy test is hold finger to the external hose port to seal it.  Or put a piece of electrical tape on the port.

That unit probably (maybe) as one of the higher end machines has a dual rocking piston pump.  If it is older and used a lot the pump might be getting sick -  if you can find the parts kits the rebuild process is generally fairly straight forward on these style pumps.  But the issue is that I do not see any parts really offered for the consumer machines - much less a pump kit for the small pump in there.   If you suspect the pump I would a least open it up and look at the diaphragms and the thin metal reed valves for corrosion if any liquid at some point went thru it - even a lot of moisture boiled off in normal vacuuming over time could contribute to corrosion. If so a careful cleaning and polishing might do the trick.

These pumps are simple units.  Here is a You Tube video to give you an idea of the pump innards.  It is for a compressor but same mechanism.  And the one inside you VacMaster would be a lot smaller LOL.  Anyway it is informative.  

27 minutes ago, Smokehowze said:

@HalfSmoke -  ..I do not have that machine but after doing trouble shooting on some Food Savers here are some ideas.  I would open it up and looked for any cracked vacuum tubing especially where it is pushed on a fitting.  If at some point it had liquid enter it might also have a partial clog that has built up  over time - that could cause also cause improper vacuum levels and further then at the vacuum sensor there would not be sufficient vacuum sensed that shifts the machine into the seal step.  Some higher end units have a filter in the vacuum line. 

Have you checked that the valve on the external hose port is sealing? -  often times it looks like a ball bearing that is spring loaded.  I have seen those get goofy.  Easy test is hold finger to the external hose port to seal it.  Or put a piece of electrical tape on the port.

That unit probably (maybe) as one of the higher end machines has a dual rocking piston pump.  If it is older and used a lot the pump might be getting sick -  if you can find the parts kits the rebuild process is generally fairly straight forward on these style pumps.  But the issue is that I do not see any parts really offered for the consumer machines - much less a pump kit for the small pump in there.   If you suspect the pump I would a least open it up and look at the diaphragms and the thin metal reed valves for corrosion if any liquid at some point went thru it - even a lot of moisture boiled off in normal vacuuming over time could contribute to corrosion. If so a careful cleaning and polishing might do the trick.

These pumps are simple units.  Here is a You Tube video to give you an idea of the pump innards.  It is for a compressor but same mechanism.  And the one inside you VacMaster would be a lot smaller LOL.  Anyway it is informative.  

This is from Webstarunt.

VacMaster PRO 350 External Vacuum Packaging Machine with 12 inch Seal Bar. ... Features a powerful dual piston pump; 12" sealing bar; Transparent, press-lid engages automatic ....

On 11/6/2016 at 8:19 AM, K-ville said:

How do you folks handle moisture in the food? I find that if there's even the slightest bit of moisture, like from a steak, it gets sucked up to sealing edge and the bag won't seal. The unit works great with dry food, but that's rarely what I want to seal.

I've tried really long bags, which seems like a waste. I've also tried folding a piece of paper towel across the bag, but I don't like the idea of paper freezing or cooking sous vide with my food. 

Your thoughts and suggestions...

Thx

Some of the sealers have a moist setting that alleviates that issue. Previously to getting a sealer with the moist setting if I was doing a sous vide I would just do the water displacement method with a Ziploc bag. I have used the paper towel method it does work and will not affect the outcome of the product.

On 11/2/2016 at 9:17 AM, John Setzler said:

@HalfSmoke

This FoodSaver is my recommendation: http://amzn.to/2enno9j

I have two of these now and this cheap low end model is my preference.  I have this one also: http://amzn.to/2fhuVUo I got it for christmas several years ago and I still prefer the small simple manual model.

Hello John,  you have two of the same model, curiosity question -  do you find that you use both at the same time? Is it a duty cycle issue of the cheaper units.   I have a old foodsaver my sister gave me several years back. I'm starting to use it more, but think I may need a new one since it take forever to seal most items these days. 

Thx, David

33 minutes ago, In2Fish said:

Hello John,  you have two of the same model, curiosity question -  do you find that you use both at the same time? Is it a duty cycle issue of the cheaper units.   I have a old foodsaver my sister gave me several years back. I'm starting to use it more, but think I may need a new one since it take forever to seal most items these days. 

Thx, David

I do not use them both at the same time.  I ended up with the two because I got the lower end model with a kit that was provided to me from UMAi when i did some demos of their dry aging bags.  After using that lower end model I decided i liked it more and gave my girlfriend my nicer model to use.  There is a duty cycle issue with all the foodsaver models that I have used.  If you are prepping and stuffing a lot of bags, you will get bogged down waiting for them to cool between seal cycles.  I have a Weston 2300 that will run forever without slowing down but it's big and bulky.  I hate using it because of that  I have developed a couple work arounds to help me avoid the duty cycle issues of the Foodsaver... I always prep the initial seal on one side of my bags ahead of time where I don't have to do that in production.  I just have to not get in too big a hurry while sealing a large number of bags...