• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
canadiangriller

Here goes nothing just finished the steak fridge

Meat has been aging nicely how ever I have had problems with the thermostat  I am almost to the 14 day mark do you guys this it is worth the risk to. Let it go or just cut it up. Now 

The fridge has been keeping could but it keeps dropping below the 32 degree mark. 

Lookingfor some advice 

1479236254263-559202242.jpg

1479236335335-1867833779.jpg

1479236393202-621226256.jpg

The problem with mini fridges is there temperature does fluctuate with the fluctuating temperature of the room they are in. With that said no problem if it occasionally drops below 32* as long as it doesn't start to freeze.  I would try and go another week or two if possible. 14 days  won't be a big noticeable change. 

12 minutes ago, ckreef said:

The problem with mini fridges is there temperature does fluctuate with the fluctuating temperature of the room they are in. With that said no problem if it occasionally drops below 32* as long as it doesn't start to freeze.  I would try and go another week or two if possible. 14 days  won't be a big noticeable change.

I don't think the meat has frozen but the water did start to freeze a couple of times as far as I can tell it seems to be doing ok but the temp seems to be all over the place I am hoping to let it go a littler longer if I can then repair the thermostat and try again 

I know the warmest the fridge has got was about 42 and the coldest it has been has been about 26  bother the high and low have never been  for an extended period of time 

Well the fridge thermostat quit so I had no choice  pull the beef at least I was Aberdeen to get 14 days on them the results are not to bad at all 

They have all been tried and frozen 

will be fixing the fridge and trying again I am hooked now 

Thanks for a the advice 

20161117_174419.jpg

20161117_172911.jpg

20161117_172829.jpg

So here is the final product and one other experiment I have been working  on I took some canadian Prime striplion and wrapped them in crown royal vanilla soaked cloth for 5 days in the fridge with a fan on them 

Two incredible steaks with amazing flavor  the dry aged was butter soft and tender and the whiskey flavour in the striploin was amazing 

I want to dry age a rib roast wrapped in whiskey 

IMG_20161120_185409.jpg

IMG_20161120_185903.jpg

1 hour ago, canadiangriller said:

Prime striplion and wrapped them in crown royal vanilla soaked cloth for 5 days in the fridge with a fan on them 

OK you got my attention. Please explain in detail. I want to try this. 

16 hours ago, ckreef said:

OK you got my attention. Please explain in detail. I want to try this. 

So I got the idea from this video I grew up in Gimli where crown royal is produced so I figured why not  I picked up so prime strip steaks form Costco the other day   I patted them dry and then wrapped them in some blue shop towels I had and  soaked the towels with crown royal and let  it sit in the fridge for  about 5 days  on a wire rack for better air flow the flavor of the whiskey gets absorbed into the meat I changed the towels once a day just for sanitary reasons  I think I the 5 days I might have used about ozs but it was just enough to soak wet the towels completely. I was blown away by the flavor and how much the whiskey is absorbed. it is well worth a try I think once I get that fridge fixed I am going to try this method for  about 45 to 90 days. or longer

I know I am late to this party, but the little fridge appears to have its own fan and the fan you added seems big for the intended purpose.  I use a computer fan to move the air around in a regular fridge.  If you are going to fix the thermostat and use this fridge again, maybe try without the extra fan or a smaller fan.

Anyway, steaks looked great and good luck on future dries.

On 11/8/2016 at 8:49 PM, ckreef said:

I would turn the temp down just a little. No need to rotate just leave it alone. That day or two above 40* isn't going to hurt anything but wouldn't want it to stay for an extended period above 40*.

I you can get temperature controllers for a refrigerator from a Homebrew store for not too much money.  It will turn the refrigerator on and off for you so it won’t matter that the refrigerator temperature controller won’t let it warm up enough.  Well worth it in my opinion. 

Edited by modenacart
Added information