(Early) Thanksgiving Turkey: Spatchcocked and Smoke-Roasted (Video)

13 minutes ago, Plaid Palace said:

That is awesome!! I failed at making gravy one time want to give it a try your way  

Was it neccessary to use the accessory rack to place the drip pans on or could you have just put them on the heat deflector?

Putting some space between the deflector and drip pan is a good idea if you want to catch and use the drippings. If you place the pans right on the deflector, there will be a heat transfer from the deflectors to the bottom of the pan. 

Best case, you'd have to add more liquid to keep it from burning. Worst case, you'll be looking for that jar of gravy you bought as a backup. ;)

I did a 13lb turkey, recently. Left it whole and so placed it over a smaller drip pan. I got good gravy juice, but the comments above will lead me to raise the pans above the heat deflector, if I can.
My recipe was Southwest style, also great for whole breast roasts, where you season the bird with salt, pepper, and oregano, and then squeeze lime juice over it, repeating with the lime juice every 1/2 hour or so, with the grill holding around 325-350 for a bit over 3 hours. Very juicy breast meat in the kamado!

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

That is awesome!! I failed at making gravy one time want to give it a try your way  

Was it neccessary to use the accessory rack to place the drip pans on or could you have just put them on the heat deflector?

Not necessary, but if you place it directly on the deflector you risk burning your drippings. You could try doing what I did in my original thanksgiving turkey video from a few years ago: add foil stand offs between the deflector and the drip pan. This raises the pan off the deflector an inch. You should add more water too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, I didn't expect usable drippings, but got them, so I'm gonna try to maximize next time. Some water in the pan, and raising it above the deflector will help.
We also set some small baked potatoes in next to the bird for the last hour to pour that gravy over - awesome.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

Great looking turkey, i'm looking forward to next weeks cook! nice dry run for Thanksgiving

It also gave me about a half gallon of delicious turkey stock left over for turkey tortilla soup the next day as well as freezing the rest to use for other things.

14 hours ago, BEER-N-BBQ by Larry said:

It also gave me about a half gallon of delicious turkey stock left over for turkey tortilla soup the next day as well as freezing the rest to use for other things.

One of the best parts of smoking a turkey, is making stock with the left overs.  I'm making stock this weekend when I smoke a few turkey legs and wing specifically for stock for Thanksgiving gravy. 

16 hours ago, In2Fish said:

One of the best parts of smoking a turkey, is making stock with the left overs.  I'm making stock this weekend when I smoke a few turkey legs and wing specifically for stock for Thanksgiving gravy. 

That is what we do also. Once we started we wondered how we ever did without all that awesome gravy.