Is anybody else counting down the days until Thanksgiving?

bigcaddy

Ever since i took delivery of my Primo, i've been cooking chickens, pizza and steak in order to get familiar with it in time for Thanksgiving. I've done plenty of turkey on my Weber 22.5" but never a kamado.

As soon at Halloween passes, we have reached the apogee of our holiday season, or at least for me, and its time to get down to business.  The days tick off rapidly and i immediately start planning the big day.   Is this normal or am i the only one? I am a bit nervous because i'm doing (2) turkeys on my Primo and none in the oven. That makes me responsible for the central dish on Thanksgiving.   If i botch these, there is no bird for dinner with no do-overs

Does anybody have quick tips for turkey on a Primo or kamado in general?  Maybe a favorite recipe or picture of the bird? Tips on getting it evenly browned?

The last few chickens i've done have had great flavor but were lacking in the crisp skin department.  I cranked up the heat to 500 but have had inconsistent results 

My method:

I usually brine mine in an ice chest for 24 hours with Alton browns brine recipe.  After its been patted dry, i put some butter under the skin on the breast meat and put some garlic/herbs in the body cavity.  No dense stuffing, just a few items to add flavor.  

It gets put on a roasting rack and set in a disposable aluminum foil roasting tray

Treat it like a chicken.
A couple of ideas, after brining
remove bird from brine, dry skin, apply 50/50 mixture of Kosher salt/baking soda to the skin and place into refrigerator uncovered for up to 24 hours. Are you planning to spatchcock it? Brush off excessive coating on skin and apply your other seasonings, remember to cut back on your salt as the skin has already apsorbed some.

ps, the 26# bird is so large that i remove the fire ring from the grill in order to give a good amount of clearance between the bird and the dome.

i also like to brine the bird for a day or so, leave it uncovered in fridge overnight and then inject in the morning before she hits the grill....no smoke wood for me & grill at 325 or so.

there are a zillion different techniques to kamado-grilling a turkey and each will produce terrific results.  Keeps the oven in the house open for other sides & what not.

We normally do a big Thanksgiving out here for 20+ for the last 20+years but this year everybody has gone a different way. One son moved over to England and the other will be going to his inlaws for Thanksgiving as we are all meeting in Munich for Christmas. We do a BBQ the day before (Wednesday) and smoked turkey on Thursday and a big left over night on Friday. So this year we might just go to the beach for the weekend. :) It shall be different.

7 minutes ago, shuley said:

I would do a trial run this weekend for a turkey. That way you have confidence for the big day and you will have enough time that you will be in the mood for turkey again on thanksgiving.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Really good advice.  I did a trial run a weekend ago so that I could dial in the method and not be sick of turkey by the time Thanksgiving rolls around. :)

16 hours ago, shuley said:

I would do a trial run this weekend for a turkey. That way you have confidence for the big day and you will have enough time that you will be in the mood for turkey again on thanksgiving.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

I was planning on that but the market didnt have any turkeys on the shelf yet.  I'm going to do a Turkey breast on Saturday and experiment with the temps and time.  That gives me some more use on the low temp range and its not enough turkey to get burnt out on.

17 hours ago, Freddyj said:

ps, the 26# bird is so large that i remove the fire ring from the grill in order to give a good amount of clearance between the bird and the dome.

i also like to brine the bird for a day or so, leave it uncovered in fridge overnight and then inject in the morning before she hits the grill....no smoke wood for me & grill at 325 or so.

there are a zillion different techniques to kamado-grilling a turkey and each will produce terrific results.  Keeps the oven in the house open for other sides & what not.

Thats the reasoning behind the turkey on the Primo or Weber and gas grill in years prior.  It frees up the oven for sides/pies and anything else needed.  Its also a great help considering Californias fickle weather.  I've done thanksgiving in shorts when its close to 90 and had one year when it was a solid 62 all day.  If its a hot one, its nice to not have the stove blasting all day.  Either way, i win because i'm outside with cigars on a comfy lounge chair or playing Bocce with family.