Spinning Turkey

J-Do

Good Morning!

So I've seen the few posts about spinning a turkey. I have my recipe ready, and I've spun chickens before, but nothing so big as a turkey. I've got my brine and recipe all set. It's not traditional, because we don't like it that way, but I'd love to hear some advice on spinning a turkey. 

I plan to truss the wings and legs, with foil covering the wing tips so they don't burn. Any advice on how to properly get the bird mounted on the spit, ideally for even weight distribution? 

I've not had anything so large on my Joetisserie as of yet, so any advice is welcome. Thank you, and have a great day!

i've done a couple of turkeys in the 14# range, good call on trussing.  the texture of the comes out a bit different than that of traditional roasting (can't say that i prefer it).

also, expect  more of a 'char' on the skin vs traditional 'browning' that you'd get with roasting indirectly.

here is a pic of a turkey on rotisserie vs indirect roasting 

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

34 minutes ago, Freddyj said:

i've done a couple of turkeys in the 14# range, good call on trussing.  the texture of the comes out a bit different than that of traditional roasting (can't say that i prefer it).

also, expect  more of a 'char' on the skin vs traditional 'browning' that you'd get with roasting indirectly.

here is a pic of a turkey on rotisserie vs indirect roasting 

IMG_0455.JPG

IMG_9978.JPG

Does that mean this years turkey will be spun or roasted?