Joetisserie. Is it worth the money? Is the flavor noticeably different

I am considering purchasing a Joetisserie. A family member who owns a Primo reached out to the manufacturer and asked if they will make something similar in the future for the Primo XL. Their response suggested that a similar unit will not be made in the near future since the airflow naturally circulates in the cooker. 

It is my understanding the Joetisserie (or any rotisserie) allows meat to self-baste, does this noticeably change the flavor? Does the unit produce a flavor that is different from typical roasting or smoking? If so, is the difference significant? 

I roasted a turkey this weekend following John Setzler's video instructions and it was exceptional. I want to know if a Joetisserie will take me to the next level. 

Thanks in advance, folks. 

I can't answer this specific question, but I will.  Because that's just the way I am.

I don't have the Joetisserie.  I got a rotisserie for my Weber Kettle, and I can say it absolutely makes a difference.  And I can only imagine that if I could rotisserie on my Kamado it would be even better.  

So my vote is "yes".  

Yes.  An emphatic yes.  An enthusiastic yes.  I would say it's "worth it" for chicken alone.  

But so much MORE worth it for all of the ther awesome spins.  Ribs?  YES!!!  Roasts (beef, pork or otherwise)?  Yes!  Sausages?  Yes!  Pretty much anything you can imagine.  Heck, you could even do tofu, (although I can't condone such craziness). 

For any further convincing, just peruse some of Andy's posts.  He's done it all, and done it all to perfection.

Thank you all for the replies. I read the reviews/posts on here, but I didnot see a lot of comparisons of food roasted/smoked vs. spun. I imagine the food is great on the Joetisserie, but thanks to Mr. Setzler, I'm making great food without it. I just wanted to know if it is a step beyond what I am already doing, and it sounds like the answer is an enthusiastic "yes!". 

I have a primo oval large and would love to have a rotisserie option. I sent primo an email about looking into that accessory and doesn't look like that will be an option anytime in the near future. I would love to see a 3rd party make this an option, but doesn't look like it will happen. I love my primo, but the joetisserie makes me want a KJ.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:44 AM, MatthewG said:

A family member who owns a Primo reached out to the manufacturer and asked if they will make something similar in the future for the Primo XL. Their response suggested that a similar unit will not be made in the near future since the airflow naturally circulates in the cooker. 

What they actually didn't tell you is Primo, nor anyone else, will be making something similar in the future because KamadoMate/Kamado Joe own exclusive patent rights on any and all wedge rotisserie designs for Kamados,. The wedge design is the only way you can place a rotisserie on a Kamado and still close the dome. The only other rotisserie option for Kamados is to drill a hole through the base. That has been done, but it puts the rotisserie really close to the fire and heat source, plus you end up with hole, which is not real desirable.  

1 hour ago, andyscalzo said:

What they actually didn't tell you is Primo, nor anyone else, will be making something similar in the future because KamadoMate/Kamado Joe own exclusive patent rights on any and all wedge rotisserie designs for Kamados,. The wedge design is the only way you can place a rotisserie on a Kamado and still close the dome. The only other rotisserie option for Kamados is to drill a hole through the base. That has been done, but it puts the rotisserie really close to the fire and heat source, plus you end up with hole, which is not real desirable.  

andyscal, you must be famous bc the person from primo specifically mentioned your name when talking about the joetisserie

Everyone tends to overlook the real advantage of the rotisserie.  The big advantage of rotisserie cooking is that you are cooking over direct heat instead of indirect heat. It's like putting meat on teh grill over direct fire and constantly turning it.   You will get a crust/skin that is like direct cooking... you will get some of that direct heat sear without burning the meat.  Your meat will cook faster this way compared to indirect cooking.  You can not duplicate a rotisserie cook in an indirect heat environment.  You can not cook a chicken or turkey over indirect heat and get the same results.

I'm not saying that indirect cooking makes 'bad' results.. they are just different.  Until you have cooked a prime rib, whole chicken or turkey, pork loin, sirloin tip roast, or a host of other things on a rotisserie, you just can't estimate which method is 'better'.  

The other factor, in my opinion, is that its just fun!

1 hour ago, robbiele said:

andyscal, you must be famous bc the person from primo specifically mentioned your name when talking about the joetisserie

You probably talked to Primo's marketing guru, Derald Schultz . We are good friends. Derald works for a good company that puts out some fantastic Kamados. I am all about Kamado Joe's, but Primo would be my second choice.

With all that's been said, I hope Santa puts a Joetisserie under my Christmas bush this year. 

Andy: Your individual posts and reviews are helpful on this matter. Thanks for sharing your opinion. I am relatively new to the Kamado scene, but I jumped in head first. 

John: Thanks for the comments. I live about an hour from Valdese, I'll swing by some time and try one of these prime ribs you speak of off the Joetisserie if Santa is not good to me this year.