Double Smoked Ham

51 minutes ago, rickcharles606 said:

It's like John said above, these are pre cooked and we are just heating them up. With the spiral cut I wanted to get a little smoke on it, then wrap in foil to keep it from drying out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I probably left mine open to the heat too long.

• 1 year later...
On 11/14/2016 at 7:58 PM, John Setzler said:

This is a really easy way to put together a lot of food with minimal effort...  The concept of the double smoked ham works well for a crowd pleaser!  All you have to do is buy one of the while or spiral sliced pre-cooked hams and add your own glaze to it and add some more smoke!

Thank you, yet again, for a great idea.  

I changed just 2 things.  I used the orange marmalade and bourbon (my favorite) for the glaze, and I just cooked mine on the grate with a drip pan and without covering it.  

This was probably the best ham I've ever had.  The smoke really does come through, especially on the edges.  And the orange / brown sugar / bourbon mixture was awesome.  

This is the way I will cook ham from now on.  Thanks a lot!!

image1.thumb.jpeg.4487cd24c5792fe4d6d0d3b8db793df4.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By DerHusker
      Most of you who’ve been around a few years, know this is the time of year that I go full Griswold. Here’s a pic of my house from a few years ago.

It gets a little bigger every year. This year I rented a boom to put lights up in our 50’ tall Italian Cypress you can see to the left of our garage. (Sorry no photo of it this year)

Anyway, as is our family’s tradition, we host everyone on Christmas Eve for dinner and presents. In attendance were my two brothers that live here in California. They came down from the L.A. area along with my niece, my nephew and his fiancé. (in addition to my wife and I) We like to vary the meal menu each year. One year we will cook Tamales, (A So. Cal. Christmas staple) the next we’ll do Ham, then Turkey, then a nice Ribeye Roast. We hadn’t had Ham since 2016 so we settled on that.

We were quite busy making all the dinner and fixing’s, so I didn’t have a lot of time to take a whole lot of photos but here are the few that I did get. Here’s the ham on the kamado for the first few hours at 275.

Here’s a pic of the stove with the beans, carrots, potatoes and gravy on top. (Green Bean Casserole and biscuits in the oven)

Here’s the ham after the 2 hours in foil with the pineapple and cherries added for another 10 minutes at 425.

Here’s the ham on the table waiting for the rest of the fixings to join it. (It’s funny but I didn’t realize that this is almost the exact same photo from 2016)

Here’s everyone waiting to dig in.

Here the one photo I got of the food and table. (As you can see we broke out our finest plastic cups for this dinner )

Here’s what everyone looked like when I asked if they could wait for me to take more / better photos of the food.

Everything was delicious and we had a great time that evening.

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for looking.
    • By DerHusker
      Started this beautiful Easter morning out right.

• By Charcoal Addict
      I spun my first ham on the Joetisserie this week.  It was a small carver ham.  I was only feeding 3 people and one super hungry dog that followed me around the house and the yard to let me know he wanted piece of the action. 

It came out perfect.  I waited until the ham was 15 degrees from it's finished temp before adding a small bit of Maple sugar & Maple Syrup glaze.  I didn't want to add the sugar too quickly into the cook.  2 pieces of Pecan and one Cherry wood cunck were used for smoke. 

It came out perfect with a moist self glazed surface.  The surface wasn't dry like a roasted ham.  Spinning the ham provided a unique and pleasant flavour profile.  A little glaze goes a long way.  It would have been a good ham with no glaze at all. 

You can see from the pics how shiny the surface of the ham is.  That's the magic of self basting on the rotisserie. 

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      Today I made a dough for Chicago pizza dough and used it for making a Stromboli.   Enjoy the photos.  I am happy with the result.  It is my son's hands in the photos as he rolled the dough out for me.  I taught him how to fold the Stromboli.    He also suggested the toppings,  

• By Shortyque
      I'm sure this has been covered before, but how does this work doing two hams in the Classic instead of just one.  Does the time stay the same, or should I allow just a bit more?  My mom wants me to double smoke hams for our Christmas meal.  I have only ever done one at at a time, and am looking for some help on timing a double up cook.  
      This is my first time  cooking for a crowd and I am seriously stressed about it.  Wish me luck!!