Bacon Wrapped Backstrap - OH SO GOOD

Deer season is upon us once again and the bounty has been plentiful!  I normally covet the backstrap and only cook a small amount at a time, but this year we have plenty and the season has just begun.  So I took a backstap, marinaded in milk for 24 hours (to get the gaminess out).  Rinsed and seasoned with Salt, Pepper and Garlic and wrapped in thin bacon - HOWEVER - next time - I will precook the bacon a little beforehand - I wanted it more crispy.  I seasoned the bacon with Tony C's and a bit of Paprika and tossed it on my KJ at 275 indirect.  (might try direct next time) USED a PROBE - cooked till 128 and glazed with a soy/brown sugar/garlic/ginger/sesame oil/honey/green onion/vinegar mixture and cooked till 135, foiled and rested.  - Honestly I would have liked it a little more done - but was afraid to overcook it.  It was pretty amazing.

Happy hunting friends.

IMG_9396.JPG.jpeg

Looks great!! I tried bacon on my last back strap a month ago and couldn't get the bacon to "set" in the wrapped position so I tried to turn it over and it fell off. Next one I'll use toothpicks to hold it in place. Is that what you used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great cook TGCG! Our Gun Deer season opens Saturday.  As much as I love venison, I don't do a lot of it on the Kamados, due to it's intense leaness, but when I do I always incorporate bacon. That's a great looking loin. Must people I know tend to overcook venison. You get it!!!

I had videoed the process and for some reason the section where I did the wrapping, the most important part, didn't record.  Here are a few shots of it - if you can see what I mean by barely overlapping the bacon and having it very tight.  
IMG_9815.JPG

Thanks for posting these pics. I'll try it again with the next backstrap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk