Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

Basic White Loaf

loaf-1.jpg

I have a cooking project coming up soon where I needed some decent bread so I decided to make a basic white loaf using the Josey Baker Bread technique.  

Ingredients:

• 525 grams King Arthur All-Purpose Flour (about 3 1/2 cups)
  • 12 grams sea salt (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 7 grams active dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 395 grams lukewarm water (about 1 2/3 cups)

Directions:

Combine the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate bowl or measuring cup, dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm water for 10 minutes or so.

Add the water to the flour and salt mixture and combine completely by hand.  After the dough is completely combined and there is no dry flour remaining, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise for 3 hours.  

(This step is optional) At this point, you can put the dough in the refrigerator for up to five days if you want to allow the flavor to continue to develop.  On THIS loaf, I just put it in the fridge overnight (for about 12 hours).  If you refrigerate your dough, allow it to sit on the counter at room temperature for at least three hours before moving to the next step.

Flatten out the dough and fold it over itself to form an oblong loaf.  Place in a greased loaf pan and cover loosely with foil while your grill or oven is preheating to 475°F.  Allow the loaf to rise for at least an hour at this stage.

Place the loaf pan in the grill or oven with the foil covering it for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, remove the foil and cook for an additional 20 minutes.

Remove from the grill or oven.  Remove the loaf from the pan to a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.

Enjoy!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By John Setzler
      I finally got some time today to start finishing loaf #3 from the Josey Baker Bread book...  This loaf is called the Hearth Loaf and it's the first of the 'rustic' style loaves in this book.  This loaf also started out with a pre-ferment.  My pre-ferment went for 12 hours and then it spent another 16 hours or so in the fridge before I could get back to it.  I then mixed up the rest of the dough and let it bulk rise on the counter for 4 hours.  It went back into the fridge for about 48 hours or so if I remember correctly... I got it back out this afternoon and began working with it....

This is what the dough looked like coming out of the fridge...

I turned it out onto my pastry mat (thanks to my girlfriend for recommending that I work on a pastry mat.  This worked really well.  I pulled and folded the dough and formed a round loaf with the seam on the underside... I let this sit for about 10 minutes on the mat...

I prepared my proofing basket (brotform).  I don't have the right kind of cloth that the author recommends so I just prepared my proofing basket with a heavy coating of flour...

I used a bench scraper to pick up my loaf and place it in the basket smooth side down...

I covered this with a clean rag and will let it sit on my counter for 4 to 6 hours before we cook it....  

This loaf can cook several different ways and I haven't decided which method I will use yet.  You can cook it in a dutch oven, on a pizza stone with a metal bowl covering it.... I'll do one or the other but I'll share that method when I make my next post tonight with the results of this bake....

The dough smelled really fantastic when I got it out of the fridge.   I can't wait to see the finished results on this one....